My neighbor got robbed at gunpoint

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Jason, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

There's a married couple out at the end of our road, maybe a half mile of farm fields from me, who own a machine shop that they built from the ground up. They're nice folks-he's 78 and she's 76. They are LOADED-everyone knows that they are very wealthy, but they don't flaunt it at all. They have a few employees and I'm told they don't pay real well ad can be hard to work for. He is pretty big and they have a golf cart to get around on their few acres and between the house and shop (located beside each other).

At 7:00 this morning they were jumped by 3 gun toting guys wearing hoodies. They were forced into their basement, tied to chairs, and she was forced to open their safe. They got away with (and this is not a typo) $68,000 in cash. No idea who they were but the scuttlebutt is it has to be someone who knows them.

This makes me sick. These people worked hard and made a good living for themselves and this happens. I'd have shot the bastards.

I don't know the victims real super well, but they are nice and very neighborly.

Plus, you can't prove it was an inside job-now I don't feel as safe. I am well defended in my home-I'll leave it at that-but now I'm more tense and observant. I'll be checking the doors twice tonight.

2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Sounds like a situation where a couple of large dogs would be useful as an early warning system. With 7 dogs in our house, unless they are incredibly stealthy, no one can get near us without one of them throwing up the alarm which sets off the rest.

3. Jason

Actually, they have a couple great big dogs. I forget what they're called-GREAT big fluffy white things that people use to guard sheep. Great Pyranize, maybe? I'm guessing the dogs were still in the house. The people were intercepted outside as they came around the house on their golf cart.

My wife has a carry permit. As of yet I don't. I think that will change soon.

4. Tex

Tex Pincushion

and my wife wonders why I rarely leave the house without a gun.:( It ticks me off to hear stories like that. I hope they are caught.

5. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

Too bad hubby and wife were not doing the CCW thing. Glad to know they are at least unharmed. If they're lucky the might get a little justice but they'll never see that money ever again.

6. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

That's terrible. I hope your carrying around the house now.

7. Jason

We keep ourselves protected.

8. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Good that's scary.

9. Von Helman

Von Helman A very simple man

Very sad, and they learned the hard way regarding not being properly prepared :(

10. Hotpie

Hotpie Member

To bad we have to learn from someone else`s misfortune. Hope they git the bastards!!!

11. Jason

No leads yet that I've heard about.

12. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Safes aren't all that safe, you should keep your eggs scattered, hopefully they did.

13. marlas1too

marlas1too Well-Known Member

i live in wv and here its open carry and also wv has a casel law -means if they break in ypu can shoot the scum dead with no fear of the law

14. BillM

BillM BillM

Armed Robbery !

Armed robbery is very different than burglary.

There is a time to fight and a time to comply. This was a time to comply!

Having a safe as opposed to having a safe and/or a hiding place.

You need to assume that an armed robber is going to have a decided advantage over you. He or in this case they had the element of surprise.

This was a business where the dwelling was located on the same property as the business.

Robbers are going to assume you have money and a safe to keep it in.

The safe should never be located at home. Keep the safe at the business up front in a place it can readily be seen through a window or a door.

Keep some money in the safe but the bulk of your money should be in a good hiding place!

The safe should have a sign that says "all money deposited in the bank nightly"

Opening and closing times are the most dangerous.

Your alarm system should have a passive , or silent alarm function.

My alarm system has an alternate code, that disarms the audible and visual functions of the system, giving the appearance ,that it has been disarmed. Instead, it sends out a silent notification to the alarm company telling them that an armed robbery or home invasion is taking place.

They will not call my home to check but they send the police and they will respond silently.

The robber thinks I am complying completely. Whether I decide to resist or to comply, I want help on the way.

If I decide to comply , I can access the safe, and they take a smaller amount of money. If I decide to fight, backup is already on the way.

When my wife and I ran a convenience store, my instructions to her and the employees, were, to give them the money, but never go to a secondary location with them. You can fight, or fake a heart attack, but your survival odds go way down, if you go with them to the storage room or as a hostage.

Discretion is the better part of valor. No one wins a point blank shootout.

If you get into one of those , you want it to be the last resort, not the first resort!

15. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

I agree this was the time to comply...outnumbered 3 to 2 at gunpoint.
    I agree that they need to spread the money around. I would have to say that this was an inside job to if the robbers knew to take them to the safe and force them to open it.

16. backlash

backlash Well-Known Member

Old thread.
    Any update?

17. Jason

Nope. The old fellow has since passed on from natural causes but from what I've heard they never got so much as a trace of a lead. No other burglaries/robbings in the area, though, which reinforces the thought that it was specifically planned attack.

18. Concerned_ Citizen

Concerned_ Citizen Well-Known Member

Unhappy employees that work on the property + inside info on said property and occupants/defenses = Bad news.....

19. Jason

Yeah, you're right, Concerned Citizen, and from what I know of the place it's a perfect example of that.

20. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Now a days it is not only Unhappy employees but 'some family members' ... :( ... I have heard of more than a few grandkids helping themselves ... to what grandma & grandpa had ... sad but true ... :club: