My house is filled with bugs!

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by OldFashionedMama, Jul 22, 2010.

1. OldFashionedMama

OldFashionedMama Partyin' like it's 1699

A few months ago it was yellow sac spiders, now it's centipedes. These are not your average centipedes! I'm talking like three inches long with huge legs and could outrun my Grandpa's Packard Clipper. I'm calling the landlord tomorrow and making him spray because I've HAD IT! SO GROSS!!!

In the interim, what can I do to discourage these bugs? We've lived here two years now and I've kind of gotten used to them, but these centipedes are just too much, especially with young children underfoot. Crickets chirping in the basement? That's fine. Ladybugs in the windowsills? Sure! The kids love them. Spiders? I've made peace with them, and if I see one I lure it into a jar and take it outside. We rescued a pregnant mama spider in the kitchen and sent her out into the garden, where I hope she had a peaceful birth. :flower:

I feel creepy-crawly right now...Yuck!!!

2. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

A size 15 boot seems ta work wonders!:D

I've noticed since we got the dehumidifier in the cellar, we ain't got em no more. I think they like a moist enviroment. See if ya got some wet spots round, under the sink an such.

3. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Try finding some food grade Diotomatous Earth (spelling might be a bit off, but Google will bring it up) sprinkle all over the carpets and into nooks and crannies and then broom it into the nap of the carpets. Let it sit in the carpet for at least a day or two and then you can vacuum it up and the residue will kill off any hard bodied buggies for months if not years.
    I haven't had fleas in about 3 years since I did a treatment, until about a week ago, I sprinkled again and it took about 3 days but no more fleas in the carpet or on the cats. Plus if the kids get into it, it won't hurt them as long as they do not breath it in. It is just the micro small razor sharp fossilized remains of tiny little critters, powdered it will get stuck in the bodies of hard bugs (like fleas and centipedes) and they slowly dry out and die, but it has no effect on us. Some times I add just a bit to the cats food and it helps expel critters from their guts. (TMI:eek:) I haven't done it but some folks add it to their flour, it keeps bugs out of the flour and is supposed to be good for our guts too! Plus it is mainly a type of calcium, so shouldn't hurt at all.
    I have even sprinkled it in the sandy driveway where the cats like to roll and it really does help with the fleas coming in.
    Oh and it works on the plain old ants here in MI so I wonder if it would take out those nasty fire ants down south?

4. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I have centipedes in my basement too. Thankfully, spiders have never been a problem. *shudder* centipedes are bad enough. It is a little damp in places on the cellar. I'll have to try the dehumidifier bit and see if it helps.

5. GroovyMike

GroovyMike Well-Known Member

I don't spray insecticide inside except as a last resort, but I have had pretty good luck just sprayiong all around the foundation - creating a barrier of insecticide every month or so that bugs can't get through.

6. OldFashionedMama

OldFashionedMama Partyin' like it's 1699

My husband turned the dehumidifier off when we put the window a/c in our bedroom because "thats using too much electricity" :rolleyes: Everything in this house feels wet right now....gonna go turn it back on now.....