Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What an experiance!:eek:.Or should I say 'nothing like experiance.

If hubby does'nt blow both of us up ourside with his tailgater they should be ready in about 10 min.s.

I think next tiem I will cut out the top stem thing before I peel them.I have two cut wounds from coring them hot and slippery.

The little jiggler is too slow or too fast,so guess we will have some spillage.

Any suggestions for next time?

·
Meoww
643 Posts
Why were they hot? To peel tomatoes. boil some water in a large pan. put tomatoes in for 30 sec. next dunk tomatoes in ice water until cool. peel should slide off. wash core and slice or crush. washing them makes them less slippery.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Guess I'm a little :confused: ...

I work mine up the same way as catsraven ... but congrats on getting your First Cannng Of Tomatoes. (and sorry to hear about the cut wounds "Ouch")

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts
We don't like whole tomatoes. I use a Victorio Strainer. I wash and cut them in half and pop the top off and then I put them through the Victorio Strainer and they are juice!! Then I process the juice into whatever I want by boiling the juice down to make sauce or juice for chili. I also use my Victorio Strainer for making applesauce and grape juice! I absolutely love it!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I agree with the others. Next time get you a big tub, like the ones they sell for icing drinks during the summer. Put lots of ice in the water, and have more available. Let the tomatoes cool completely before you try peeling or quartering them. It will not hurt them to sit in the icy water while you blanch several batches. And I will put an old bath towel under my cutting board to help absorb the juices from cutting. Then after I peel the tomato I just plunk it down on the cutting board to core and quarter. Do not hold it in your hand and risk getting cut.

Last year we had an assembly line going. I blanched the tomatoes and dumped them in the tub, the kids peeled them, and DH cored and quartered. They sat down around my old beat up coffee table, with the bucket of ice water at the end. Kids peeled and placed them on the old towel at the edge of the cutting board, and DH had my big bowl on the other end filling it up. Worked so much faster than me doing it all by myself, and the kids have the pride of knowing they helped.

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
I dice the toms and add peppers, onions, salt, pepper and vinigar, cook till boil and then can em. I have 3 pints in the pot right now!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Congrats on your canning. Life is a learning experience. This weekend we canned 21 qts of squash. Put 6qts of collard greens, 2qts of bell pepper and 6qts of peaches in the freezer. A very productive weekend. Also picked 2 shopping bags of lettuce. Sold 60 watermelons.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We don't like whole tomatoes. I use a Victorio Strainer. I wash and cut them in half and pop the top off and then I put them through the Victorio Strainer and they are juice!! Then I process the juice into whatever I want by boiling the juice down to make sauce or juice for chili. I also use my Victorio Strainer for making applesauce and grape juice! I absolutely love it!
Thanks Pam,but we don't like crushed,or sauced tom.s.

When I make chili or spagetti sauce I use large pieces of tomatos.I never use tomatoe juice [except in a bloody beer a couple times a year] in it.

I think the more you process food the more vitimins and flavor you lose.

:)

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why were they hot? To peel tomatoes. boil some water in a large pan. put tomatoes in for 30 sec. next dunk tomatoes in ice water until cool. peel should slide off. wash core and slice or crush. washing them makes them less slippery.
Thanks for info.Guess I did'nt heat them enough.:confused:

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with the others. Next time get you a big tub, like the ones they sell for icing drinks during the summer. Put lots of ice in the water, and have more available. Let the tomatoes cool completely before you try peeling or quartering them. It will not hurt them to sit in the icy water while you blanch several batches. And I will put an old bath towel under my cutting board to help absorb the juices from cutting. Then after I peel the tomato I just plunk it down on the cutting board to core and quarter. Do not hold it in your hand and risk getting cut.

Last year we had an assembly line going. I blanched the tomatoes and dumped them in the tub, the kids peeled them, and DH cored and quartered. They sat down around my old beat up coffee table, with the bucket of ice water at the end. Kids peeled and placed them on the old towel at the edge of the cutting board, and DH had my big bowl on the other end filling it up. Worked so much faster than me doing it all by myself, and the kids have the pride of knowing they helped.
Lucky you to still have help around.Even our grandkids are grown now except one born midlife.

Once they leave the nest unless they need your support they seldom come back to work.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Again thanks yall ,I learn a little here and a little there from yall.

I got 5 quarts out of my garden.They are sittign on table now waiting to be wiped off and put up.I'll take off rings.

Not only first tomatos but first anything canned from our garden.

I put lemon juice in them and a small bit of salt.After i put them in jars I added back the juice left over from slicing them in a bowl.

Canned them for 15min.s under 10lb.s psi.They were hot and so was the water in the canner before we started.

Yall think they will be ok?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Congratulations darlin! Be careful though. Canning is like a fever or a bad habit. Once ya start ya just don't wanna stop. :congrat:

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congratulations darlin! Be careful though. Canning is like a fever or a bad habit. Once ya start ya just don't wanna stop. :congrat:
LOL yes it is.I'm now waitign impatiantly for somethng else to can.Soon as meat or something else is on sale.

Last month I canned 14 qt.s of roma green beans and 14 qt.s new potatoes,this was my first canning ever.We already ate 3 of each,they are so good.:)

Those potatoes were given to us because the ants had gotten to them,but they were still good.We had to peel and cut away lots of bad but it was worth the work.

I never knew ants would eat veggys.:confused:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ok, I am just starting my canning career and have a million questions, that Ball doesn't cover real well.

Canning tomatos, why do you have to peel?

Why do folks not can green peppers?

Can you pre cook things like rice and pasta and can them?

Can you can cooked beans and ham?

That's enough for a start :)

·
Meoww
643 Posts
Hi Linda61

Two reasons first they will come off anyway second they taste yucky

Its easier to dry green peppers

No it makes them squishy and yucky.

Yes, as long as its not thickened.

That's enough for a start

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thank you raven, I have searched all over for the answers to this, now I know so I will do as the experts say, drying my green peppers etc. Thanks again

·
Supporting Member
1,669 Posts
What an experiance!:eek:.Or should I say 'nothing like experiance.

If hubby does'nt blow both of us up ourside with his tailgater they should be ready in about 10 min.s.

I think next tiem I will cut out the top stem thing before I peel them.I have two cut wounds from coring them hot and slippery.

The little jiggler is too slow or too fast,so guess we will have some spillage.

Any suggestions for next time?
good for you Meerkat! I'm telling ya, we are on a journey, even as grandmas...learning just never stops ( I hope) I also dip mine is boiling water then drop them into the sink of ice water, skins slip off. Very proud of ya gal!! Keep up the great work, if we keep learning new stuff they aren't going to ever want to get rid of us!!:2thumb:

·
Supporting Member
1,669 Posts
Hi Linda61

Two reasons first they will come off anyway second they taste yucky

Its easier to dry green peppers

No it makes them squishy and yucky.

Yes, as long as its not thickened.

That's enough for a start
I just enjoy the heck out of you!! Good answers......:congrat:

·
Registered
274 Posts
You can also make tomatoe juice from tomatoes.. also V8.. 10.. 11 or however many vegetables you wish to add to the tomatoe juice. We put the tomatoes and slightly cooked veges through the food processor. The one ya put the food in a hopper and turn a handle. It seperated the seeds and skins from the juice and pulp.I then canned the juice and dehydrated the skins, seeds, etc. Added ch bouliion to the powder that resulted, I put skins and seeds thru the blender to make it into a powder and made instant tomatoe vegetable soup powder which can be use.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
good for you Meerkat! I'm telling ya, we are on a journey, even as grandmas...learning just never stops ( I hope) I also dip mine is boiling water then drop them into the sink of ice water, skins slip off. Very proud of ya gal!! Keep up the great work, if we keep learning new stuff they aren't going to ever want to get rid of us!!:2thumb:
LOL,hope we still have tricks left to make us handy and needed.

:beercheer:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.