My day as a firefighter

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by bunkerbob, Aug 25, 2010.

1. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Here's what my day was like, first weather became extremely unstable, downpours(yes it does rain in Calif) then thunder and lightning. With the area around us very dry scrub brush and the lightning strikes were everywhere and eventually caught fire, including a field next to my neighbor. I went down to help her grabbing the first hose I could find, one of three!!!:gaah: for a 5 acre ranch:confused:. Lucky it could reach just barely to the fence line and help wet down the dry area under her trees. Then the Calvary showed up, 4 air tankers with foscheck, 4 drops helped knock down the advancing fire. Then 4 fire companies showed up to finish and clear the area. Very exciting day.

Attached Files:

2. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

Wow, what an exciting day! I am so glad that you and your neighbors are safe. Hopefully no damage was done?

3. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Well - that is something to write about!!! :2thumb:

Bob the firefighter :flower:

4. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

A possible new career move? :rolleyes: :ignore:

5. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

One of our sons is a firefighter. When we burn brush piles he reminds us how embarassed he'd be if we had to call the dept. to help put it out! He's just kidding, of course!

He enjoyed reading your story, bunkerbob! Glad you got it out and everything is okay! Lightning is a real fire danger.

6. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Yea, cooked pork if it would have got out of hand.;)

[quote mdprepper]Wow, what an exciting day! I am so glad that you and your neighbors are safe. Hopefully no damage was done?[/quote]
    No, thankfully, some trees damaged, but no stucture damage.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  7. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

Glad everything worked out well. Usually, we don't have to worry about that down here... the 100% humidity will drown it right out. :D

8. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Brush fires are a bear. I've fought a few small ones and every time you think the damn things are out another hot spot flares up. I also took a wildland firefighting class (all classroom) a couple years ago and learned a lot there. Typically around here brushfires are started by idiots, not lightning.

9. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

As an elected city official I can spend a day riding on a fire truck to emengencies.

10. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

You should do that, Sail. See if the firefighters are satisfied with their training and equipment or if there is anything you could try to have a grant arranged for to get additional materials for the men and women to use. I bet the firefighters would gain a whole new respect for you and the council in general if you "put yourself in their boots" for a day.

11. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

aren't you too busy riding on a lawnmower? ;)

12. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

No. That's beneath him since becoming a commissioner. Now he has people arrested for mowing the grass in public parks. :D