My daughter called today ...

Discussion in 'General Homesteading & Building' started by *Andi, Sep 30, 2010.

1. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

to tell me only 85 days till Christmas ... :eek: (she loves the holiday)

Christmas Countdown 2010 - Find out how many days until Christmas 2010

Now ... for the past (I don't really know) few years I have made gift baskets ... Homemade this and that (I"m not into the spend yourself into debt kind) ... I told her I wasn't going to do the baskets this year ... and she had a "fit" ... so looks like I'm once again doing baskets ... :dunno: I want to add something 'well different' ...

So help me out ... holiday baskets ...

Hand dipped candles
    Homemade soap
    Knit dishcloths
    2 different homemade candies
    And ...

and what do you think ???

Remember I only have 85 days ...

2. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

home-made jellies, nutbutters & honeys? mmmmmmmmm

3. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

And.... Ummm, is it limited to stuff you make? I was going to recommend some winter gear (hat, gloves, scarf...). I found some nice fleece hat/glove sets on Cabela's awhile back. $50 marked down to $9.99. I had family in mind and bought lots of them.

4. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

The baskets are for the most part 'something they can use' Last year I gave each of my kids a NOAA radio plus homemade stuff...

I don't get into "I guess junk" :dunno: Along with the radios I gave them hand crank can openers and such ...

If that helps ...

Plus they always get home-made jellies ... :D ... :2thumb:

5. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

How about a hand crank flashlight for each member of her family. Very handy to have around when the power goes out and the batteries are dead in the conventional ones. We have 7-8 of them here.

6. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I normally do stocking-stuffers (I guess its like your baskets) with usable trinkets. I won't let you all know what I have already bought for this years stockings, but, I can let you know what it was last year ..

Everyone got a dynamo-flashlight - crank it up and let it glow

Everyone got a Leatherman tool - some with scissors and some with plyers

Everyone got a new toothbrush, travel-sized toothpaste, floss and Listerine

Adults that like coffee got good coffee's, children got hot-chocolate and there were some specialty teas tossed around.

From there - stockings were filled with personal-stuff ...

7. jnrdesertrats

jnrdesertrats Noob

We are giving our boy's ready to go bug out bags this year.

8. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

Just a word on a good outfit

I buy a lot of stuff from an outfit called "LA Police gear"... ton's of bags and other goodies, but if your on their e mail list they send out some damn good sale stuff.. http://www.lapolicegear.com/

I just bought what cops call their "Bail out Bags" same as a Bug out Bag except usually duty stuff sized..

I got 3 of the for about $8.00 each... I put a XD 45 long slide, 50 rounds of Hard Ball 4 mags and the holster with 2 2 mag pouchs and there is room for a lot more which I'll use for flash lights etc... my goal was to have a bag for each of my 45's with mags and holsters... so if I'm hitting a match all the stuff is in one spot for each gun... these a re very well made bags

Just a pass along of info!!

Oh....last time it was really nice heavy duty fanny packs by Maxpidition... same price... usually 45 bucks or more...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  9. lhalfcent

lhalfcent Supporting Member

how about some kind of quick mix in a jar? I make hot chocolate mix to add just water to. I also have made cookie and bread mixes as well.
    soup mixes are cheap.
    just a few ideas.
    I do baskets every year.
    This year i got ahold of artisan bread in 5 minutes a day book and been learning to make the easiest bread.
    just flour, water and salt!
    so I am going to make a bunch of these breads and freeze them then put in the baskets.

10. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

artisan bread - want to share that recipe ????

I did the quick mix in a jar one year ... one daughter did like it the other well ... so... so...

but may try it again ... Thanks!

11. lhalfcent

12. lhalfcent

oh I ordered the book on amazon. gonna get it this week. so excited to try some other flours and recipes.
    I bake a lot of bread so i know the basics. but to make european style breads...now that I want to get good at.
    Imagine during a hard time and having fresh bread made with just a few ingredients easily kept in storage but looks oh so rich and such.
    It would be good bread also to have if you're on the run. hard crust soft interior.
    yummm....I have my daily loaf raising as i type. :D

13. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Thanks! :2thumb:
    I can't wait to try it!

14. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

15. lhalfcent

i keep one of those ice cream pails full of this dough in frig.
    so easy to do on a daily basis.
    but also here is a tip... if you want to make a bunch of loaves, make the dough the day before you bake cuz working with it chilled is much easier.
    blessings
    :kiss::flower:

16. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

Yummy! Made the bread, it turned out beautifully. I served it with pantry creamy potato soup!

ETA: sorry the pic is so big, I haven't figured out how to make them smaller. Daughter took this on her cell phone.

Attached Files:

17. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Yummy!!!! :D

Thanks for posting ... mdprepper ... and tater soup, to boot! :2thumb:

18. lhalfcent

Nice!! It looks so delicious!