My Dad

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by mdprepper, Apr 1, 2010.

1. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

One of the greatest men I have been privleged to know. He is the one that taught me about food storage (canning) and everything I know about weapons, ammo and started my love of weapons. Yes, he gave me my first .22 at five years old, he had to cut the stock off so I could use it (when I grew up he reattached it and you can't see it unless you know to look for it). I still have it. He taught me to reload shells, make my own sinkers and how to "rough it" in the wild. I wish I had paid more attention to his gardening. He died in my arms and I will miss him more than I can say.

Weyman D. Swagger, Baltimore Sun photographer, editor - baltimoresun.com

2. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

I'm sorry for your loss. We will keep you in our prayers.

3. pdx210

pdx210 Well-Known Member

lost my mom to cancer 15 years ago .....Dang, that hurts.

make the most of what we have it's gone too soon

4. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I'm sorry for you loss, I will keep you in my thoughts. (hugs)

5. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

So very sorry. :cry:

6. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

sorry to hear, I think if there's anything to find commonality on its that we've all been affected by cancer

from the article he sounds like he must have been a great man

7. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

I am truly sorry for your loss, but, as I have got to know you even in this short time, you will survive this ordeal as others that will be put in front of you.

8. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

I am sorry for your loss and understand completely... I recently lost my father, my mother, and my sister. Only me and my brother left. :cry:

9. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

Really sorry about your loss, lost my lady 3 years ago to cancer, I've come to hate that word with a passion even I can't describe.

As the saying goes.."This to will pass", but your memory's will always be with you, treasure them.

More importantly pass on the things he taught you even if you have no kid of your own, pass them on, that's what I do with the children of my friends.. so far in the last 3 years I've gifted 9 guns to my "adopted" kids
    and it's a wonderful feeling. and WTH, at my age am I gonna do with them? :beercheer:

10. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I'm really sorry about your loss. We are with you in spirit.

11. mdprepper

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and well wishes.

I had spent the last 3 weeks of his life taking care of him 12-14 hours per day. I am not ready to grieve for him yet. He was constantly telling me that life had to go on, even with him gone. So right now I am celebrating his life as he would like. I have been baking breads, cooking good, hearty meals and talking with my kids, remembering what he taught me and sharing that with them..

We will be scattering his ashes in WV during the summer. When we go, his brothers will take the kids and I out to learn about edible wild foods. The learning will continue, sharing the things that matter, and just spending time together.

12. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

...and in doing those things, your dad's spirit will live on. The kids will hear the old stories and you'll all learn something, I'm sure.

13. ditzyjan56

ditzyjan56 Well-Known Member

mdprepper

So sorry to hear about your fathers death, I'm sure you will miss him at every turn of the road for a while. I'm glad you're father was there for you while you were growing up.
    My son has had two foster Kids here for the week and neither one knew how to fish, they are 12 and 14. He spent the last 4 days with them fishing and hunting mushrooms. Sometimes we don't realize what we have till its gone.
    Prayers and thoughts are with you and yours

14. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Losing someone that close is hard, sorry to hear about this tradjety. You were so fortunate to be that close to him. I'm sure you have many good memories so he will live on through you. After a year full of firsts things will get better. Some times life really sucks, this is one of them. Personally I don't believe in goodbyes, only see you laters. We are prayinng for you.

15. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

You will see him again in that great hunting ground in the sky ...

16. TimB

TimB Member

Very sorry to hear of your loss. It's good you were close with him and learned from him. I'm sure he's proud you are passing that knowledge along to your children.

Tim

17. kenny

kenny Member

Very sorry for your loss, sounds like he had a great son to be with him in the end. Been with both my parents when cancer took them worst days of my life and the events that changed my life for the better, enjoy every day you just never know.

18. mdprepper

Kenny-thank you for the giggle. I am a female. My Dad had 4 daughters and he refused to raise "girly-girls" that wouldn't get dirty or were afraid to break a nail :).

He was very fond of saying that we were the type of "sons" most men would be proud of.

19. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

Hi,

My sincerest condolences for your father, may he continue to be remembered in your memory.

Vertigo

20. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Sorry for your loss. I lost my mother six years ago. I miss her everyday. It gets easier with time.