Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just filled out my application for a concealed carry permit for the state of PA. I'm being lazy here by not just looking it up myself, but my question is this:

Does anyone know if (especially in PA) you can concealed carry a firearm registered to someone other than yourself or does it have to legally belong to you? My wife and FIL own pistols but I don't and really don't have the bucks to buy my own right now.

Thanks, folks. :wave:

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Much obliged, sir. :) That's where I'll be this evening.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a yellow card back from the Sherrif's Office saying that I passed my background check. I have to go into Pittsburgh to the Sherrif's Office to have my pic taken and pick up my license, and I believe you get a small talk about firearm safety. I'll be doing that next Friday.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I haven't been online for a while, but here's what happened when I went to the Sherrif's office. I walked in holding my yellow card in my hand. I had, on my way to the Sherrif's office, stopped at the PA drivers' license center to renew my asbestos worker card. It's a photo ID, just like a drivers' license. That's what I was planning to use for my secondary ID. I walk in to the firearm office, which is in a part of the courthouse you don't need to walk through metal detectors to get to, and walk into the tiny office. The clerk (one of about 5 present) saw my card, asked me to print (not sign) my name on a blue card, stand along the blue area on the wall, and smile for the camera. She never asked for one form of ID, let alone the two the letter said I'd need to present, and I never signed anything. For all they knew, I could have clubbed some guy on the way in and taken his card. I'm now licensed to carry, but I was a little taken aback at how cavalier the Sherrif's office was.

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
Ain't that easy here. Ya take a one day course which includes qualifying with your weapon.

You then get a pass sheet that you take to the sheriff's office, have your background check an a chat with the sheriff. After he signs your permit you get your finger printin done an yer good for a year.

That system in PA sounds scary, fool hardy an just plain dangerous. But, glad ya got yours.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Sounds good Jason!

Carry with pride!!! Myself, I can carry with pride, as long as it is trigger-locked, in a safe and hidden in my vehicle .. :gaah:

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was never interviewed or fingerprinted. My wife got her original permit in Washington County, which neighbors Allegheny county, where Pittsburgh is and where we live now. There she had to be printed and interviewed, and when she reupped hers (in Allegheny County)just before I got mine she was surprised at how easy it was. Our permits are good for 5 years, then they need to be renewed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
forum for your question

Congrats on the license. Officially, PA has no registration, but I'm not convinced that there isn't some list based on the sales process. Post your question re: can you carry someone else's on the PAFOA.org website. Most of the users there seem really on top of the current state of carry laws, plus, it's just a really interesting forum.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll do that. Thanks for the info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts