Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Firearms Forum Moderator
238 Posts
I'll start out with some more recent photos and then backfill with how it was when I bought it and how I modified it.

Here is the whole excuse for a roof top tent: slushy cold mud, ice and a thin layer of crunchy snow on the ground!

Overall area

Here is an interior shot of the tub loaded up

3 large and 2 small Action Packers, 4 Scepters full of gas, PETT seat and tent, 2 folding chairs, folding table, tarp, shovel and other stuff.

Towing in Death Valley

Glamping (Glamor Camping) at a state beach

·
Firearms Forum Moderator
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
this is what it looked like when I first bought it:

Giant tires, regular non-LED lighting, no gas cans, no backup lights, no awning, etc.

1. Slightly used demo, built in Oct 2009
  2. Dexter axle, spring over, electric brakes, Rancho shocks
  3. Tail gate, removeable
  4. Camping Labs 8'x6' roof top tent
  5. Lid, hinged and removeable
  6. 19 gallon stainless steel water tank
  7. 65 Watt Solar panel on retractable slides
  8. dual Optima blue top deep cycle batteries in a lockable nose box
  9. 1500 watt inverter
  10. Lock N Roll multi-axis offroad/onroad hitch
  11. Powder coated paint almost everywhere
  12. Jeep Springs of some sort with Poly bushings
  13. Integrated rear hitch receiver

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
That is a nice rig! I have seen tents for the tops of trucks and the beds of trucks but nothing this trick!

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
That is a very neat setup! I would like to have myself one of those!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Very Cool, I am thinking of building one similar to tow behind my Jeep, if work ever picks back up. I have been following a lot of those type builds on some other sites. Yours look to be modeled after the old military 416 or the 101. Anyway, You have one really cool expedition trailer. :2thumb:

What model of RTT is that? Looks to be about the perfect size........

·
Firearms Forum Moderator
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Very Cool, I am thinking of building one similar to tow behind my Jeep, if work ever picks back up. I have been following a lot of those type builds on some other sites. Yours look to be modeled after the old military 416 or the 101. Anyway, You have one really cool expedition trailer. :2thumb:

What model of RTT is that? Looks to be about the perfect size........
You are right that the military trailers of the 60's were the pattern for the tub. Adventure Trailers and Sierra 4x4 Trailers also use that general shape. Some people find old military trailers and then restore and modify them to suit their needs. The newer US M101-A series are very big and meant to be towed by Humvee's. They are cheap but heavy.

The tent is sold under the CampingLabs name and is a large. They are also sold under the Mombasa name. There are a few other brands out there.

Here are some pictures where I changed out the wheels and drums in order to have the same size tires and rims as my 4Runner. Sort of like two more emergency spares:

Changing out the drums, bearings, seals, adding Spidertrax spacers and an OEM Toyota rim with a BFG tire

Matching rims and tire size all the way around :)

Trailer is still a bit nose down with the standard ball mount

So I bought this 6" drop mount and flipped it over.

Am thinking about shortening the shank up a few inches....

·
Registered
333 Posts
Man that thing is sweet, :2thumb:

·
Firearms Forum Moderator
238 Posts
A few pictures of the sturdy and roomy CampingLabs tent

For the first offroad trip I took the trailer out for 3 days to the Inyo mountains near Death Valley

Overall it towed well on and off road even though I've worried a little about the center of gravity being a bit high. I may still look into replacing those 2"+ lift leaf springs wih something else with less lift. Coming home on the freeway I had an unexpected chance to completely lock up the brakes at 55 MPH and I never knew the trailer was behind me because it behaved well and stopped in a straight line. Glad I installed the Tekonsha brake controller!

More pictures of the actual trip are on my blog... Sun To The North

·
Firearms Forum Moderator
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very nice. All the comforts of home. Can be set up and taken down very quickly. Couldn't ask for much else.
Thanks! Besides camping, the trailer helps fill a gap in my preparedness plans. My primary choice is to hunker down. If a big quake leveled my house I'd have the trailer to povide backup living quarters

·
Firearms Forum Moderator
238 Posts
for the first offroad trip I took the trailer out for 3 days to the Inyo mountains near Death Valley

Overall it towed well on and off road even though I've worried a little about the center of gravity being a bit high. I may still look into replacing those 2"+ lift leaf springs wih something else with less lift. A vehicle similar to mine pulled his trailer up using his rear locker and made it fine. Coming home on the freeway I had an unexpected chance to completely lock up the brakes at 55 MPH and I never knew it was behind me because it behaved well and stopped in a straight line. Glad I bought the Tekonsha brake controller!

Some pix from a campout where I took the land navigation course mentioned at my blog

Lots more pictures of the trips and other dventures are on my blog... Sun To The North

·
Registered
333 Posts
I thought I recognized that trailer, you have a really cool thread over on IH8MUD. Lots of good ideas on this trailer!!! :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Very cool trailer! I have always been a bit sketchy on the concept of taking a trailer offroad, but it looks like yours is beefy enough to take the abuse! I like the mods you have made to it to better suit your needs, as well.

Very cool project!:congrat:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts