Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/0...ncouver-home-and-struggles-with-sex-attacker/

Passerby hears woman's screams, kicks down door of Vancouver home and struggles with sex attacker

A woman was taken to hospital with serious injuries Thursday following a violent sexual assault in Vancouver's Strathcona neighbourhood.

A man armed with a weapon entered a home and confronted the woman inside, according to a Vancouver police report.

The suspect, who was not known to the woman, then attacked her, tied her up and sexually assaulted her.

A witness heard the woman screaming and entered the home, where a struggle ensued and the victim was able to escape.

The witness then held the suspect down as other Good Samaritans came to help and nearby officers took the intruder into custody.

The suspect remains in custody and police will be recommending several charges to the Crown.

A Reddit user claiming to have witnessed the aftermath of the assault posted that the suspect cut off two of the woman's fingers and cut her throat during the assault, leaving her in "shock and screaming."

Const. Brian Montague said police were holding back some information and could not confirm those injuries.
Pictures (and note the blood on his sweat-pants)

Attachments

·
Banned
2,601 Posts
Na, a rope is no fun. Tomahawk and Knife throwing practice would be better.

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
25lb pail of 3" drywall/decking screws.....
"I'm not going to lie... this is going to hurt"

·
Banned
3,375 Posts
It pays to be ready folks..............

It goes to show you that crime is all over and that a second of distraction can lead to ugly things like this; many in this forum, and I have mention this before ,take for granted their serenity living out in the country surrounded by nature and is not so, reality can strike without warning. My friends house was almost burglarize while he was taking a shower; two scumbags push his wife in the house while she was unloading the groceries from the car, he takes a shower with a loaded .357 in the room, end of story; my sister lives out in the woods, the house seats back about 150 yards from a very dark and lonely road, luckly they listen to me and bought a shotgun and .9mm, she put a hole through the screen door one night while three men try to steal her truck, truck was not damage but somebody's pants needed change. The thing here folks is that it takes a second just a second for grief and pain, and don`t ever shush your dog when it starts to bark, he is your first line of defense, I miss mine terribly and yes my weapon is next to me as I type this and the house rear door is wide open, we have no air in that part of the house yet and we live in a quiet and peaceful neighborhood but you never know.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Story with video news-feed - please click on the link below to see the video.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/woman-bound-assaulted-in-vancouver-passersby-intervene-1.2300118#

Woman bound, assaulted in Vancouver; passersby intervene

A man is in custody in Vancouver after a woman was attacked in her home, tied up and sexually assaulted in a seemingly random attack that was stopped by a passerby who ran into the house to help.

Police say the incident happened in the residential neighbourhood of Strathcona around noon Thursday. An armed man apparently chose a home at random, entered the house, and violently attacked a woman inside.

A passerby heard screams coming from the house and ran in to confront the man. That allowed the already badly injured woman to escape, police said.

The struggle between the passerby and the suspect spilled out into the street. Other witnesses joined in and were able to tackle the man and hold him down until police officers arrived to take him into custody.

The woman was taken to hospital with "significant," undisclosed injuries and is expected to survive, police said.

Local resident Amber Ritchie was out walking dogs when she heard the commotion and called others to help. She also saw the woman escaping the house and says she was shocked.

"She looked like something out of a horror movie. She was covered in blood," Ritchie said, who added she too was traumatized by what she saw.

A 25-year-old man was arrested on the scene. His name has not been released. Police say he was not known to them locally, but he does appear to have a criminal record and appeared to be new to the area. He's expected to face several charges.

CTV Vancouver's Penny Daflos spoke to one of the passersby who helped grab the suspect when he tried to flee the scene. Peter Desormeaux told her he is a neighbour and didn't hesitate to help.

"I knew something very serious was going on, so I didn't question it. Plus, the first thing I heard was a woman screaming, being attacked," Desormeaux said.

"I started to run and as I got closer to the home, because I had just left my house, I saw the chase going on and then cut him off and then tackled him," he said.

Desormeaux said the suspect was strong and it took a few tries to hold him down while they waited for police.

Amber Ritchie says she hopes to get a chance to thank that first passerby who ran in to help.

"I think the guy who went in and rescued that girl is a hero and I haven't had the chance to give him a hug and thank him because if he hadn't done that, I don't know, that girl, she might have been in worse condition," she said.
To continue the story, I searched the name mentioned in the video and found this from about three years ago:

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2012/03/04/suspect-arrested-after-robbery

WOODSTOCK, Ontario - A suspect is in custody following a mid-morning Saturday robbery at Nexstar Communications.

At about 9:52 a.m., the Woodstock Police Service received a frantic 9-1-1 call from a Nexstar employee who had just been confronted by a knife-wielding man. The suspect had then fled the Dundas Street business through the neighbouring Stafford Street yards.

Immediately responding, Woodstock officers conducted a ground search of the area with the help of the department's canine unit, quickly locating the suspect. While the suspect attempted to flee, he was arrested without incident at a nearby business.

The ensuing police investigation found a U-Haul truck parked nearby that was "associated" with the suspect. This truck had been involved in a gas drive-off theft in Woodstock earlier that day, as well as the theft of merchandise from a Kitchener Canadian Tire store.

Caleb Timothy Heaton, 22, of no fixed address is facing a number of criminal charges, including robbery with a weapon, six counts of breach of probation, theft under $5,000, possession of dangerous weapons and possession of stolen property.

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
It goes to show you that crime is all over and that a second of distraction can lead to ugly things like this; many in this forum, and I have mention this before ,take for granted their serenity living out in the country surrounded by nature and is not so, reality can strike without warning.

I agree with you that things like this are a possibility anywhere, however, there are about 2.5 million people in the Vancouver metro area. Not exactly "out in the country" or anyplace I would want to live.

I am a little surprised that the neighbors managed to stop this thing before it got away, many would simply call the police and/or look the other way.

·
Here a while
1,305 Posts
don`t ever shush your dog when it starts to bark, he is your first line of defense
Our Anatolian sleeps on the screened-in porch at night, and when she alerts to something, I go let her out. The last time was about a week ago. She did not bark loudly -- just a "Woof. Woof." to get my attention. I went and let her out, and she streaked into the woods without making a sound. Don't know what she was after. Might just be the bobcat that lives down the hill was checking out my hen house. But whatever it was, she got rid of it. I would not live ANYWHERE, city or country, without a good dog. Preferably over 100 pounds.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I already liked the above post but sometime thats just not enough so I would like to add
DAM STRAIGHT SKIPPY !!!

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
http://www.theprovince.com/news/Fun...t+Strathcona+home+reaches/10930044/story.html

Fund for victim of violent sexual assault in Strathcona home reaches $34,000

Strathcona residents are banding together to help the woman who was brutally beaten and sexually assaulted in her East Vancouver home last week.

A gofundme account set up by a neighbour had raised nearly $34,000 by Sunday.

Vancouver police said a man entered the woman's home in the 800-block Hawks on Thursday at about noon, tied her up and sexually assaulted her.

The woman did not know the man, police say.

An area resident heard the screams and went into the house to help her, and a struggle took place. The suspect managed to flee the building and the Good Samaritan with the help of others was able to catch the suspect and hold him down until police arrived.

Pete Fry, a community activist and the former chair of the Strathcona Residents Association, said people have been struggling with the horrific incident.

"People here have been through the various stages of grief," Fry said. "The neighbourhood is horrified at what happened."

Fry said the residents of the area are close-knit and are watchful of strangers who come into the community. "We are in a highly transient neighbourhood and keep an eye out for each other," he said.

Police will be meeting with residents to give them an update.

"We have a community meeting with the Vancouver Police Department on Tuesday," said Fry.

Following the attack a Reddit user posted that the suspect cut off two of the woman's fingers and cut her throat during the assault.

Vancouver Police Department spokesman Const. Brian Montague said police will hold be holding back some information and he could not confirm the injuries.

Following the attack the gofundme account was set up with the heading "Strathcona Cares."

The statement on gofundme notes: "On Thursday my neighbour was brutally assaulted by a stranger who broke into her home. She was very brave and smart and strong. She fought back. She made noise. And help came in the form of some amazing heroic neighbours who showed a lot of courage, who stepped up, stopped this horrible crime, and probably saved this young woman's life. This woman is a survivor, and will need as much support from the community as we can give her. Recovery can be a long road, and donations will go directly to support her and fund her recovery ...

"Let her know that neighbours care, our community cares, and our city cares."

A 25-year-old man from Ontario was taken into custody following the incident.

Caleb Heaton has been charged with unlawful confinement, sexual assault and break and enter. He remains in custody
Link to the GoFundMe page (almost $36,000 as of this morning): http://www.gofundme.com/q4ccf84

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
http://www.vancouversun.com/Violent+assault+shakes+Strathcona/10926902/story.html

Violent sex assault shakes Strathcona
Community rallies after daytime attack in one of the busiest parts of east Vancouver

A Strathcona resident walked out of his house Thursday and heard screaming.

A shirtless man emerged from his neighbour's home, fighting with another man. The shirtless man took off, and the man he had been fighting with yelled that a woman had just been raped.

"I joined (him) in the chase," said the man. "Took a shortcut across the trees, tackled him. The guy fought, we fought him a second time, held him down and the police came."

The Good Samaritan's name cannot be revealed, because a judge has imposed a ban on naming the victim and any witnesses. After the suspect was subdued, the Good Samaritan saw the victim.

"She's my neighbour," he said softly. "I know who she is now, I learned late last night. But at the time I could not recognize her, she was so full of blood on her face and her legs. Her head was soaked."

The victim had been tied up by her wrists, and had her finger cut off after being attacked with a knife.

"It was grisly," said a second neighbourhood resident who helped chase down the suspect. "(She was) bound at the wrists, in her underwear, and the (suspect) was a big beast guy."

Both men downplayed their role in the drama.

"The real hero was a guy who was walking down the street and ran into the house to interrupt the assault," said the Good Samaritan. "(He) is the hero, he's the guy."

About 300 community residents marched through the rain Friday night in solidarity with the woman who was attacked.

One of the marchers, who said she was a close friend of the victim, said the woman is "very touched" by the outpouring.

"She just wanted to thank everyone for the support that's been extended to her. She's just very, very touched."

When asked about her friend's condition, the woman paused, then responded slowly: "She's going to be OK. She's pretty ... It was pretty bad. But she has a lot of friends around her to support her."

"She's a strong woman. She's pretty smart. And we're just so grateful for that person - that man - who came in and heard her."

By Friday night, an online fundraising campaign for the victim had raised more than $12,800.

Charlotte Zesati said she was "pleasantly surprised" at how neighbours jumped in to help.

"I'm here to say, first of all, I'm not going to accept that kind of stuff in my neighbourhood. I'll be keeping my eyes open for my child and everyone else's child, and I'm just here to support the lady that got hurt."

"I think she must have gone through a tremendous lot," she added, through tears.

The incident occurred near Strathcona's popular Union Market, steps away from Vancouver's busiest bike route. It occurred shortly after noon, when dozens of people were walking or cycling by.

"It was just a completely brazen act, I can't believe anybody would think that they could get away with that," said a young mother in the neighbourhood. "It's just such a busy neighbourhood, there's so much foot traffic and so much bike traffic."

"It is completely surreal," said her friend. "We were just here, having a regular day (Thursday), running into friends and neighbours at the café. And then two hours later you hear on the news something unimaginable has happened. It's just awful."

A dog walker was across the street when the assault occurred, and heard the victim's screams.

"I stopped and started to tie the dogs to go see what was going on - I could see the door was partially open," she said.

"At the same time, the guy that went in and helped her was on the sidewalk, closest to her apartment. He was walking by and heard the screams. He looked in and saw what he saw and went in to help her.

"He chased the suspect out, and came out behind him. He (yelled the suspect) was raping the girl and to call the police."

The victim came out and went to safety next door.

"The girl had banged on her neighbour's door and went inside, so I knew she was being attended to by somebody else," said the dog walker.

"So I focused on helping him not let the guy get away. I saw (some neighbours) up the hill and yelled to them to come help, don't let this guy get away."

A group of young men were waiting at a nearby bus stop when they heard "rape."

"(They) came running across the street from the bus stop and laid the boots to the guy," said the Strathcona resident who tackled the suspect. "While I had him in a headlock, they were just f---ing laying the boots to him."

"They were flailing on him," said his friend. "I think if they would have seen the woman and how she was bloodied and had her finger cut off, they probably would have killed him."

The dog walker said the victim emerged from her neighbour's to see if the suspect had been caught. When she was assured he was, she began to yell for an ambulance.

"She was very strong," said the dog walker.

"This is not going to be easy, she's going to scarred for life, for sure. But I believe she's a strong woman and she's going to be very strong through this, and deal with this the best way that she can."

Strathcona is next door to the troubled Downtown Eastside, so residents have developed a thick skin about crime. But the assault shook the tight-knit community.

"It seems like a quiet neighbourhood, but it's not Kansas," said the resident who tackled the suspect. "It's just the level of violence that is the shocker."

Another area resident said there were rumours the suspect had gone around Strathcona, knocking on doors while he looked for a victim.

"I know every single person within three blocks of here," he said.

"It's more like family here than any other neighbourhood. When something like that happens, it affects your family.

"The randomness of what happened … it had nothing to do with jilted lovers or people mad at each other. It was a very innocent person answering their door, like we all do, we all open our doors and say hello.

"We don't sit behind chained doors here - even though people think we should, we don't. And innocence was lost yesterday, in the best place in Vancouver."

Caleb Heaton, 25, appeared in Vancouver provincial court Friday. He is facing multiple charges, including sexual assault, assault with a weapon, choking with a piece of clothing, unlawful confinement, break and enter, and robbery.

Police said Heaton has a criminal history in Ontario.

With files from Matthew Robinson

·
Banned
2,601 Posts
Good on those guys who put the boots to that pervert, It's to bad that he was able to be led away under his own power. I hope the Canadian courts stick it to him also, and he spends a very long time in prison.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
one would hope camo, but that is the left coast so mostly he will be coddled :gaah::brickwall::eek:vract:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts