Musicians

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by UncleJoe, Sep 6, 2010.

1. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I was reading OFM's thread on "feeling truly inspired" and it got me curious.

How many musicians do we have here at PS? I've been playing guitar for about 30 years and have dabbled with the piano, violin and flute. Can we put a good band together when we form our community after the SHTF? :D

2. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I have a really nice 4 string Washburn electric bass and absolutely no musical talent.

3. hardrock

hardrock Well-Known Member

Picking and singing

UncleJoe, I am a 5 string picker (years ago) and my wife was a music performance major in college. She played double reeds.

Love that bluegrass

4. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Like Jason my musical talents are limited to the stereo headphones.:eek:

5. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I can play CCR's "Down on the corner". That's about it.

6. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

I was Concert Master is the orchestra on clarinet. I also play drums. :)

7. UncleJoe

That's one of my favorites! Good bouncy, get people off their seat and moving, song.

hardrock, I would love to learn the banjo but as I watch others, it seems so far removed from the way I play that I've never tried. I'm considering a mandolin but I need to get rid of a few guitars first or Mrs. UJ will have me sleeping in the goat pen. :eek: If I can get it down to 4-5 I think I'll be OK. :rolleyes:

8. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

The usual for me: guitar, piano, and violin, mostly, and a bit of a few others.

MMM plays banjo.

9. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

Clawhammer banjo here. 5 fingers, 5 strings just makes sense. 5 fingers 6 strings means there’ll be music missing.

10. hardrock

hardrock Well-Known Member

UJ,the 5string is very difficult to play correctly(was for me) but can be very rewarding.
    It is a way of life for some people, just like golf.
    About 25 years ago I bought an Earl Scr**** book and opened it to page 1.
    Try it you'll like it!

11. saintsfanbrian

saintsfanbrian Liberty or Death!!!!

Who is Earl Scr****?

I play guitar and am self taught. I have a Martin and a Fender TacoCaster. (Strat made in Mexico).

I enjoy it and want to learn the Mandolin.

12. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

13. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I play harmonica. Fairly well.

14. UncleJoe

I'm afraid I'm too old to try to learn a whole new way to play strings. :rolleyes: I have a friend that picks and it's intimidating just watching him. :eek: That's why I'm considering mandolin.

saintsfanbrian I'm self taught also, but there were plenty of folks along life's journey that contributed to my ability's.
    In my collection are; 9 Epiphone's, 1 Martin, 1 Alvarez and a no-name classical

All in all it sounds like we have the makings of a decent band. Harmonica, strings (start practicing Jason), keyboard and drums. Although they don't fit in so well with a blues or bluegrass band, I enjoy brass also. Where are the horn players? :)

15. OldFashionedMama

OldFashionedMama Partyin' like it's 1699

My first instrument was piano, then I started violin when I was 10. I've never learned to play guitar and I've always wanted to learn. My husband plays very well, but unfortunately not the kind of music I want to learn. He's got a sweet Jackson with a Line 6 Spyder amp that has over 200 sounds programmed into it. I want to learn country and bluegrass music. My small hands also work against me, as it is I don't play a full size violin-mine is a 7/8 size, not a 4/4. I used to have a range of nearly a 10th when I was playing piano more frequently, but even my flexibility didn't help much with guitar. I can sort of play Stevie Nicks' Landslide, and a few notes of The Cure's Lovesong...actually The Cure is what got me really wanting to play guitar....
    I also had a brief stint in high school as a percussionist. A girl in the section got sick a month before we had to go to state competition. I volunteered to take her place, and the director actually let me! Somewhere out there, there is a video of me playing suspended and crash cymbals on Kabalevsky's Colas Breungnon Overture :2thumb: I had bruises on both of my arms from where I had to pull them back to dampen the sound...I was quite proud of that!

16. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

You know, you guys make me very jealous, I have a hard time humming a tune, thats if I can remember one. But there is one song I do very well...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb_yVxDyB9s"]YouTube - National Anthem USA[/ame]

17. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

I played trumpet and french horn in school...but that was a loooonnnnggg time ago!

Bunkerbob - LOVE the song you posted!

18. OldFashionedMama

OldFashionedMama Partyin' like it's 1699

Sorry but this made me :lolsmash: :lolsmash: :lolsmash:

19. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I have absolutely no musical talent ... :cry: ... so I will have to sit by and tap my foot... :D

20. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

Save me a seat! I'll have to tap my foot with you. Of course, I have no sense of rhythm so I will have to follow your tapping!! :D:D

Have you ever seen the Steve Martin movie The Jerk? The scene where he is trying to snap, tap his foot in rhythm to the music is priceless and unfortunately that is me :cry:.