Multiple disasters

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by CulexPipiens, Mar 12, 2011.

1. CulexPipiens

CulexPipiens Still waiting for the zombies.

Let's first consider that in the past 24 hours, Japan has had

1) record setting earthquake (damaged and collapsed buildings, impassable roads, etc.)

2) barely an hour later, 18'-30' wall of water extending in miles from the coast.

3) nuclear leak (minor radiation exposure)

4) evacuation (up to 20km, about 13 miles), as a result of the nuclear incidents

5) pretty much entire cities going up in flame.

My wife asked how any of our preps would have helped in a situation like this. It got me thinking of the above list, then the fact that depending on where you lived in Japan you could have been hit with pretty much anywhere from 1 to 5 of those disasters. Each of these disasters, outside of the earthquake is a direct result of the earthquake.

So, I started to consider what natural events could affect my area (earthquake, tornado, etc.) and if one of these happened, let's go with tornado, what the other events could be. I could have secondary disasters of hazardous spill from the tornado overturning and rupturing cars from a nearby railroad or even a passing semi. All the destruction could easily start fires. And of course the tornado itself could have destroyed the house. The hazardous spills could trigger evacuation.

In looking at what we have and what are plans are, we can start to see a lot of holes and where we need to look at more options. At the very least, an off site cache of supplies. Due to tornado destruction, anything we might need could easily be buried or scattered across the neighborhood. An evacuation might not allow enough time to take what we want/need. Having at least a few boxes of stuff kept elsewhere could literally be a life saver.

This will be a big learning experience for me (and probably everyone on here) that you need to prep and plan to accommodate multiple possible concurrent events and have the flexibility to adapt to them all.

2. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

Off the top of my head here---

JDY keeps a list of 100 or so events he preps for. Excessive? well when 5% of the list happens in 1 day in 1 place, plus unrest in the Middle East, oil troubles, civil wars, economic chaos and we haven't even seen the potential of disease , rioting or looting in Japan or economic chaos....did someone metion Japan shifiting 8 feet and the axis of the earth moving? I think JDY's crapometer just hit 20%. I will look at that list again in earnest.

Yep, I am with you. Flexibility with eyes wide open. Am rececking all plans and options here.

3. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I found this on another site---this is why we share, listen, and learn.
    We can't remember everything or prepare for every event..but gas and cash and no BOB when evacuated??

~~~The initial story of Hawaii being inundated was false, as mentioned. I just pulled in the driveway after flying in from Kauai, Hawaii and things were really smooth there. Wife on I were on the eastern shore of the island, and the resort director knocked on all the doors, and said there was a mandatory evacuation, and that a tsunami was expected in 5 hours. The director handed out maps of where to go and said they could also supply transportation. He then said to feel free to strip the beds of pillows, blankets, so we would be comfy at the evacuation site.
    We drove to a middle school as directed by the map and along the way, noticed all the ATM’s and gas stations were packed.
    We parked on the football field with 300-400 other cars and there was water and coffee provided and alot of Civil Defense Volunteers in there yellow vests were directing traffic. We arrived there at midnite and the small wave came onshore at 0310 hrs HST. No damage, it reached the top of the beach and that was it.
    At 0600, we were sleeping in and on our cars when CD persons said the danger had passed and evac centers would be releasing folks in a pre-planned order so the streets wouldn’t be packed. We were on the beach with drinks in hand by 0930 hrs. Outstanding orderly evac by all involved, obviously practiced and used before. Kauai really had there crap together…….
    Things I did notice, and I jotted a few things down at the time since this was my first kinda real SHTF situation….

1) I didn’t have a BOB cause I wasn’t home
    2) I made a HUGE mistake and gas gauge was near ‘E’. I wasn’t sure there was enough gas in car to make it to evac site
    3) I had no extra munchies or water with me in room to take to evac site, just beer
    4) I had under $75 cash in wallet……at time I wish I had more
    5) BE PREPARED….I saw a local family at the school who had thought ahead. I saw at least one large plastic tote with ‘TSUNAMI’ written on the side. This family was off in the corner by themselves with music playing, a coleman stove cooking burgers, lawn chairs with table and tarp for overhead cover erected, blankets, and 2 small pop tents set up playing horseshoes or something off to the side at 2 a.m. They looked like they were having a party instead of being evacuated…..

Guess I learned a couple things…..Other than that, I need to catch up on the radiation news~~~

4. Reblazed

Reblazed Member

Luckily, that "learning experience" turned out well.

5. tikiman

tikiman Well-Known Member

It is a reminder that it can be worse and happen really quickly. Est. time for the wave to hit sendai was 5-7 min after the first quake ( now upped to a 9.0 this morning)
    Course the smartass in me had to tell the wife to keep her eyes on the papers for when the big lizard shows up!:D I mean hey, sounds like one of the old movies.

6. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

If your not bugging in I think multiple BOLs is a good idea. I have the boat and have also been rehabing a 15' travel trailer which will be going somewhere in the near future. I would still like to get a cabin somewhere. Preps are kept in a couple locations and the BOB is always updated for the current season. I would like to duplicate more expensive preps like water purifyer, two way radios and arms but can't afford to. I'm not quite sure where to keep the BO library which contains how to books and just leisure reading. I also need to get gas cans stored in different places to stay mobile.

My new pup ads a new dimension to prepping, not sure how much food to store for him. I am thinking of 3 40-50# bags and Grandfather-Father-Son them out. Not sure if I should have that many for each location. There is lots more to think about for storage distribution, but atleast it is there to be distributed.

Also I am a solo prepper, don't know what I would do when family arrived on my doorstep.

7. BasecampUSA

BasecampUSA Sr. Homesteader

Atlantic coastal dwellers...

Just for the record... huge Atlantic Tsunamis have been scientifically analyzed and found unlikely to cause a lot of damage.

http://home.iitk.ac.in/~vinaykg/Iset_42_tn3.pdf

Even if the Azores volcano landslide scenario happened, it would not be as bad as it has been portrayed in the past...

8. Janneti

Janneti New Member

Yes extremely its a big damage and we can say it a multi disaster because there is a great saying that "Misfortunes never comes alone" and same thing happened in Japan and a terrific loss came into see in Japan.

9. paladinFL

paladinFL Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Unless ...

Unless you live in Florida!! - the highest point is just 24' above sea level and storm surge is always a concern.