Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with my dad about elderberries and my mom was thinking mulberries ... :p

So now I have two mulberry starts on the way and have no clue. lol

Well ... I know ... Here we go around the mulberry bush. :D

Tips ... pros ... cons ...

Help ... :flower:

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Personally I don't think they have much flavor. Kinda like wild strawberries. I've eaten them but they're not on my list of top hundred foods to cultivate. YMMV. :)

·
Blah Blah Blah
366 Posts
I love mulberries. Good ones are sweet goodness that melt in your mouth. If you pick them too soon or have a sorry variety they can be pretty blah. Do not plant them anywhere near things you do not want covered with purple bird poo. Other than that you plant and forget. They do the rest.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
We have a giant mulberry tree next to the chicken pens,well actaully we put the pensx there because of all the shade that tree provides.

But we also have a slew of squirrels and birds here who eat the berries,and many are on top of the tree which is several stories high. So we don't bother with the tree much.

I hear the jelly is very good.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I love mulberries. Good ones are sweet goodness that melt in your mouth. If you pick them too soon or have a sorry variety they can be pretty blah. Do not plant them anywhere near things you do not want covered with purple bird poo. Other than that you plant and forget. They do the rest.
I agree we have two trees that are well over 30' tall along with a couple about half that size. Ours produce decent size berries and are very sweet and juicy berries. A friend usually comes and gets 10-12 gallons of berries ever season ( still leaving us 3-4 gallons to freeze) and makes jelly,syrup, and a decent juice that she splits 50/50 with us.

·
Supporting Member
264 Posts
Down here they use to grow wild and were plentiful and as of right now I only know where there are only a couple, I thought about buying and planting a couple but I ran out of room in my new place and they can be quite messy and attract birds that will drop the fruit all over the place and after eating the fruit the poop is pretty aweful. I personally love the things, both red and black ones.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The poop is one of the great advantages. Free fertilizer if you do not mind purple poop... Grin.
Thanks for the smile! :teehee:

And Thanks one and all for the info!

·
Newbie (in training)
806 Posts
I've always liked them. sweet and free. I dug four 2' trees and planted them in our orchard 5 years ago. They are about 5' tall now.
A wild one came up next to where I park my boom truck 4 years ago and it is about 15' tall. I must have done something wrong when I dug them and transplanted.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
I just planted two. Love'em. If I have to fight the squirrels for them.... I love squirrel, too.

John
You sound like my hubbys family,I was always suspect of their dishes.They ate squirrel perlow.

Our tree gets plenty of fertilizer since it shades the chicken pens and yard they free range in.This mulberry tree is huge,we planted it when it was just a small tree.Our donkey kept topping it for us,she'd top it then run from me screaming at her.I miss her she was lots of fun.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The mulberries I am familiar with come in male and female, so hopefully you'll get one of each? Or if you have males in the neighborhood, two females!:D

·
Blah Blah Blah
366 Posts
The mulberries I am familiar with come in male and female,
I believe that in general you are right. Or at least most of the things I have read say that "most" of the time you get flowers on one tree (female) and catkins (male) on another. But it also sounds like some trees within a species can be both male and female.

I am suspicious trees like this breed of black mulberries are both male and female.
http://willisorchards.com/product/Black+Beauty+Mulberry+Tree?category=250

·
Registered
10 Posts
My two mulberry trees are about 5years old and really producing berries in abundance now. Last year the black birds got them before we could get any fruit. This year we have harvested over 30 pints and I have now found my new favorite jam. When you shake the tree after covering the base with a tarp the harvesting is very quick and easy. Most recipes call for lots of sugar and pectin but I don't add anything to them and think they are sweeter than you would believe, just that the jam is a little thin but will still stick to a butter knife and spread super easy.

·
985 Posts
I cut ours down to about 5 feet high, every two years or so. Keeps it manageable. Good berries for making wine.

·
Supporting Member
3,312 Posts
Just discovered we have a mulberry tree, and thought about this thread! :D

Actually, the tree is on the neighbor's property (the evil people - everyone else on our road is fantastic). But there is a large branch that hangs over our property, and I was considering trimming it when I noticed the berries. Had no idea - I don't remember seeing any berries last year. Upon further examination there appears to be the same species of tree on our side of the property line, but it has no fruit. A male? If we own the male of the species, I think we should be able to have half of the fruit. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts