Mtn. House confirms shortage

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by JayJay, Dec 10, 2010.

1. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Exclusive: Mountain House Confirms Freeze Dried Food Shortage

Oregon based Mountain House, a division of Oregon Freeze Dry, Inc., has confirmed reports of shortages in their freeze dried food product line.

In an email to SHTFplan.com, Mountain House Sales Division Manager Melanie Cornutt said it is true that larger distributors and dealers are receiving limited stocks of inventory, and that Mountain House is unable to provide freeze dried foods in #10 cans to smaller distributors due to significant global demand. A number #10 can is generally purchased for larger camping groups or for emergency food storage, as it holds approximately six pounds, or 13 cups, of food with approximately 10 - 25 servings per can.

When asked what the cause for the atypical demand may be, Ms. Cornutt said, “we have nothing concrete, but we believe this is contributing to most of it - Federal reserve talking about buying $600 billion worth of treasury notes, which could de-value the USD, hence causing inflation fears. In addition, we have had many Americans call and express concerns with our current government.”

Though recent reports suggest that US emergency service agencies, law enforcement and the military have stepped up preparedness efforts, Ms. Cornutt rebuffed rumors that the Federal government may be responsible for acquiring much of the food for emergency services preparations saying, “the Federal Government/FEMA are not making large purchases of our Mountain House #10 cans.”

A leading online emergency products firm and distributor to agencies such as Department of Homeland Security and the TSA also put this rumor to rest, saying the government “has not purchased more than normal,” in recent months.

Nitro-Pak, another preparedness web site and large distributor of Mountain House Freeze Dried Foods, has alerted customers that emergency food demand is so high, their processing time for new orders is approaching one month, citing inflation fears as the main culprit. “Orders with #10 can foods or food reserve units are processing in about 28 business days due to the extremely high demand that has been caused by our nation’s current political & economic uncertainty as well as high inflation fears. We anticipate prices will soon rise as are all food prices worldwide,” reads a shipping update memo on the web site.

When asked about inflation fears, a Nitro-Pak representative said that inflation resulting from government policies seems to be the main motivating factor for their customers. The representative also cited the popularity of the preparedness trend, suggesting that recent Glenn Beck episodes promoting food storage may have something to do with the interest in personal food preparedness.

Mountain House says that the production delays within their freeze dried food division should be resolved soon. “We anticipate this to continue through February/March of 2011,” according to Melanie Cornutt, “this timing may change, but as of today, this is the best estimate we have.”

Author: Mac Slavo

2. semperscott

semperscott Well-Known Member

Good to know and food for thought. Thanks!

3. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

So does this mean that some of the sheeple are finally waking up? :dunno: We can only hope.

4. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Didn't realize Mountain House had #10 cans of freeze dried foods, interesting. I saw plenty of the servings for 2 @ Walley World, Cabelas and Gande Mtn. this week.:scratch

5. Ponce

Ponce Well-Known Member

Got my two loads for one year each back in Y2K at $750.00 a load, it is my understanding that they now cost a hell of a lot more.

6. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

What this means, Uncle JOe, is with many going there, MAYBE my Libby's corn, peas, and green beans that I bought for 3/$1 will go back down from
    .80 cents a can so my friend can buy a car load!!

7. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

that seems counter-intuitive, with the deflated dollar and greater demand, wouldn't prices go up? :confused: if there's a greater demand at MH then there more than likely is an unreported greater demand across the board

8. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

Green Giant is 10 cans(14oz) for five dollars in our supermarkets this week,Aldis has been .39 a can for most vegs except beets,

9. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

At my local Aldi's the older label cans are .39, the new improved pretty label cans are .55 each!:eek:

10. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

They could be smaller can's to. The old repackaging trick is going on all over now. Just a tad smaller for a little higher prices. :scratch

11. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

A few of the radio host have started 'a push' for people to be parpared (and stock up) ... So I say yes, a some of the sheeple are waking up.

12. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

Perhaps it's merely semantics, but they're no longer sheeple when they wake up to the fact things might get bad and they start acting upon that belief.

They become potential allies, resources and/or competition.

13. WildMist

WildMist Active Member

I wonder how our Canadian reps for freeze dried food are doing. Is Briden experiencing a backlog with their Thrive product too or are we still slightly better off than U.S.
    I'm thinking I better put an order in quickly if we're not suffering from a shortage too.

14. ComputerGuy

ComputerGuy Retired Air Force

You can also make your own. LTFS, dehydrating.

15. Freyadog

Freyadog Member

Even though we buy in bulk we also were buying the sales. We would take the canned and frozen foods, drain and/or thaw and dehydrate. Less space is used and we don't have to worry about cans going bad. We put everything in jars and then seal with our foodsaver.

16. 101airborne

101airborne Well-Known Member

Most of MH "packages" are in #10 cans. like the years supply for one and such. Normal price depending on the product ranges between $22 and $38 a can. BUT they have a shelf life of around 25 years. We have around 7-8 months worth for the wife and I. Actually several of the foods are not bad. Their oatmeal is good as well as most of the fruit products. The meat products however IMO leave a bit to be desired. However in an emergency situation they are edible.

17. 101airborne

101airborne Well-Known Member

Last catalog I recieved from them the "basic" years supply for one was $1,800 plus shipping.

18. tac803

tac803 Well-Known Member

I waited 2 weeks for a shipment of mountain house, and almost half of it was backordered.

19. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

They might have more liquid and less vegetable in them too.:scratch

20. SaskBound

SaskBound Well-Known Member

I ordered from Briden not long ago. They did not mention having problems getting product, but then again, they mostly sell ingredients, not pre-made meals. They had a shipment held up by a big snowstorm in the States, and have had a surge of ordering (they think it's combo Glenn Beck and Christmas), but they were able to fill my order no problem, if a little late :)

Edit to add: I am pretty sure most of their product comes from the US, so it will probably hit them eventually, unless the issue is with ready meals, rather than ingredients like FD blueberries or onions or whatever.