Mountain House stock up foods out of stock

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by lhalfcent, Jan 13, 2011.

1. lhalfcent

lhalfcent Supporting Member

2. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

That fits in with this thread (see post #27): http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f2/mtn-house-confirms-shortage-4838/

Is it the sheeple or the government? Who knows? :dunno:

Edited to add:
    Based on post #27, it's the government (although why would the government be getting #10 cans instead of something larger in case of emergency?). But I gotta wonder if it's not the sheeple waking up, too.

I can't make fun of the sheeple. I was one not too long ago.

3. lhalfcent

thanks goshengirl. i didn't see that thread. my bad...

4. goshengirl

No harm, no foul. ;)

Gotta admit, even though I'd read the other thread, when I just went over and checked it out, seeing all those 'Out of Stock's posted for everything is just plain FREAKY looking!

5. BasecampUSA

BasecampUSA Sr. Homesteader

This is certainly an omen and a harbinger of what is to come VERY soon with everything...

What to do?

"Get while the getting is good" - a saying from the last depression...

Read what's in red below:

6. pdx210

pdx210 Well-Known Member

Mountain house is not out of food they are runnning at capacity and are back ordered on their most popular #10's the owner of safe castle posted about this on another forum they have some stuff in stock.

No doubt with 2012 around the corner and other general anxieties more people are getting the prep bug. I was at Bob's red mill today there where 4 people carts filled with 25# bags of grains not including myself and when costco started carrying freeze dried emergency food it's a sure sign that prepping is going mainstream.

7. lhalfcent

one thing i have noticed over the years..when something this important starts to go maintstream... like the news is now saying we are in trouble etc etc... that is when it is getting too late or nearly too late.
    it will be a real trick to get bulk of many things from this point on at decent prices.
    for so many people such is the way of following mainstream news for your total information. we all here for the most part saw this coming years ago and quietly started doing something about it.
    fwi

8. pdx210

pdx210 Well-Known Member

there's no question Prepping has gone mainstream and good suppliers like mountain house are stretched thin

9. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Did anyone see the special on Frontline last night? They were talking about the governments new "safe bunkers". A new government 6 storey building was built recently, but there were 10 floors beneath the ground level stocked with supplies for living. We had guest come in and I didn't get to see it all. I had read something about this earlier just can't remember where. These government building are going up in several different locations according to Frontline. Any one else know any thing about this? Could this be the reason for the shortage in long term food storage items? The government would have the ability to buy tons.

10. Frugal_Farmers

Frugal_Farmers Good ole country folk

WOndering if people are really beginning to prep? visit your local grocery stores and notice the empty shelves on staple items. When you see these voids on the shelves, ask your grocer and see what responses you get. You may be surprised.

We have seen shortages on sugar, flour, beans, pasta, soups, ramen noodles, store brand canned veggies, etc... It appears that the country folks around here are getting real wise.

Stay tuned for more shortages. Check your local shelves right after the first of the month when many folks get paid.

11. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I've also seen Dollar General sugar gone, Aldi's sugar extremely low, flour low at stores, Ramen noodles at Aldi's almost floor level couple months ago and that's unheard of at that store...

Something else I'm noticing ...things not considered staples, certain items are not on the shelfs...Walmart has a certain 'stir fry sauce' I like and use..went to 5 stores and couldn't find it...now noone is buying my brand but since this has happened several times with other items, I think the stores aren't stocking a lot of these unpopular items....cash flow problem??'
    or does the store know something we don't and not stocking items they will be stuck with??

12. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

And while we're on this subject, I don't see anyone stocking pancake mix, and maple syrup..

I have two 2-gallon buckets of pancake mix(gonna get more), and 6 pints of syrup(I make my own) and this is a 50 cent breakfast for two that uses little heat to prepare!!:2thumb::2thumb:

13. goshengirl

JayJay, what's your shelf life on those buckets of pancake mix?

14. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

15. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

I have a case each of Thrive pancakes and biscuits along with honey, sugar and last years X-mas present, a can of maple syrup granules. I thought the same way, quick and filling.

16. goshengirl

That was my thinking, but then I read that that she had a couple buckets. Since JayJay knows what she's doing, I was curious and wanted to know a little more.

17. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

At $1 a box (30 oz.) I can't see I lose much!!!LOL

The experts say in a commercially boxed package in a pantry, one year...so in a sealed bucket, no sunlight, kept dry, cool room...I'm guessing 3/4 years.

I'll let you know in four years..;)

18. goshengirl

Hehehe... works for me! ;)

19. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I don't have wheat and I don't count on having eggs.
    A church member has 24 hens and can't keep eggs for herself for people buying them:gaah:...which is good if she can pay for her feed this way.

20. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

This JayJay is just trudging along learning and discovering by doing and experimenting...:dunno:

Learned so far:
    You can not use old jeans as wicks..they DO smoke.
    You can not use firestarter in a cold car to keep from freezing..after 10 minutes, it smokes.
    You can not water bath canned meat...it won't reach the temperature needed.
    You can use alcohol soaked cotton balls as firestarters and in your car to prevent freezing.
    Five candles (tapers) give more heat than one big fat candle...more flames= more heat....