Prepared Society Forum banner

Mopeds and scooters...

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Meerkat 
#1 ·
Hey all.

for those that dont know, almost all mopeds and scooters of ANY age are 49cc. If the scooter or moped has a license plate on it, it is most likely 125 or 150 cc and subject to state license and insurance laws.
several states require the use of insurance even without the need for the license plate, and many states require the use of a helmet.
In todays totally mad society, I would suggest the use of a helmet at all times as well as the use of gloves, and a leather jacket and proper footwear.
Now I am the last person to scream safety and personal protective gear but if you want to live to see the TSHTF...you'd better suit up, even if its hot outside..
Now, if your totally new to mopeds or scooters there are thousands of sites out there to help you, however...the MOPEDARMY website is truly a huge help and has alot of info on it. I will tell you, your local seller will have the korean or taiwanese scooters to sell.....dont buy them, there are NO replacement parts sold in the US under federal laws and you will have to spend 86.50 to get a new spark plug from taiwan, that cost 3.15 to start.

check local listings for craigslist, they have been helpful in getting used non-running "bikes" for parts or rebuilding. often, I can find 3 or 4 for sale for under 300, build or two, if Im lucky, then part out the rest on craigslist.
Honeslty and truly...dont buy a scooter. they are nice and look decent, but they are expensive and hard to work on.
If this is something to ride now and then, dont spend 2000, when u can spend 300 or so and toodle around town on errands.
plus, most mopeds are kick start ot rotor start meaning pedal to start...amd if TSHTF....you dont want to have to tear apart a scooter to get to the magneto coil. if your smart....and I know you are, you'll think ahead even if you do get a scooter and buy extra magneto coil parts just in case...cuz if theres an EMP...you want to be able to rebuild your coil in two snaps of sharks tail...be sure that your neighbor will remember you have the moped and will wanto to borrow it to go see if family is ok....
so..2 sites to give you....

mopedarmy.com ......national group of moped people.
themopedjunkyard.com ......complete parts, tech mags and so forth.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 ·
I agree totally. Most of the mopeds Ive had are decent at best on the road, and Ive even found a few modded mopeds and scooters that were decent "off road" meaning dirt roads and back roads...in the case of TSHTF...theyd get you out of town, not over hill and dale.
I will have one as a back-up BOV tho.
and to BigDog, thanks for the service to our country...it is Greatly appreciated.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
"off-raod" scooters...

Well, the closest I have seen to an off orad scooter is the Honda Ruckus. There are vids on yuotube of races where it does pretty good. With it being bare bones, theres not much to hurt if you lay it down, and its easy to haul up a hill if u need to. The dowside is where do u put stuff, if TSHTF? Other wise, in todays wolrd u could get away with a ruck and maybe saddlebags.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.