Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I am a RN in East Texas, and never have been a "chicken little" with regards to potential threats. But have to say, for the First Time, feel a real concern for our country and welfare or my family.
Our small farm is being converted over to be able to at least be able to grow our food, or at least much of it. I am looking into other food plants to grow that may take less cultivation.
My other imediate concerns are security, because just the Bad Economy has increased thefts. So this is. A reality long before disasterous things take place. It is here. Although we have and can use guns, we cannot be home at all times.
To help with this, I imported Boz Shepherd Guardian Dogs from Turkey. One of the most capable defenders. Most could kill a Mountain Lion. Are larger than most Mastiff. A man or men without a gun would not stand a chance. And are intelligent enough to know a real threat.
Hopefully is all for nothing, but at least will be able to combat the high food prices.
Any unusual crop suggestions for east Texas?

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
Welcome to the forum and God bless Texas!

·
I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...
1,799 Posts
:welcome: to the forums!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I am a RN in East Texas, and never have been a "chicken little" with regards to potential threats. But have to say, for the First Time, feel a real concern for our country and welfare or my family.
Our small farm is being converted over to be able to at least be able to grow our food, or at least much of it. I am looking into other food plants to grow that may take less cultivation.

Hopefully is all for nothing, but at least will be able to combat the high food prices.
Any unusual crop suggestions for east Texas?
Hello and welcome...I am in AR and grow most garden veggies easily. Have started an herb bed ( click on my profile and look at photo gallery )

This spring I planted 14 grape vines, wine seeded types and seedless, eating/jelly types too. This fall I am going to plant a 25X50 ft bed of Hard Red Winter Wheat, have never done it but look forward to trying. I've been told I can grow approx 50 pounds wheat from about 5 pds seed, then just save seed each year enough for replanting.

We also have a great pyrenees dog for protecting our chickens & goats.

Wishing you all God's bounty!

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you with us!

You're blessed with a long growing season! Lucky you! Some of my friends in Warm climates like Texas plant a spring garden as early as Feb. 1st, and a Fall garden whenver it is you people start cooling off... if that happens this year! :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Everyone. As I get time, I plan to enter into some of the disscusions. Looking forward to learning, and possibly sharing information,

·
Registered
333 Posts
Welcome to the forums :wave:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts