Minority children more likely to be overweight

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by OldFashionedMama, Aug 19, 2010.

1. OldFashionedMama

OldFashionedMama Partyin' like it's 1699

Some Minority Groups Hit Hard by Childhood Obesity - Yahoo! News

Whoever that woman was that suggested kids "dance around the house for an hour" if they live somewhere its not "safe" to play outside is an idiot. In my borderline-inner-city neighborhood, ADULTS are always outside with the kids, watching them. There is an active block watch here, and we don't put up with nonsense. Parents need to get outside WITH their children-NOT keep them in the house. That only allows the criminals to continue controlling the neighborhoods.

The inner city neighborhoods here are definitely "food deserts", and the "grocery stores" are pathetic and overpriced. I suggest huge tax breaks for stores to set up shop in these neighborhoods, maybe even government assistance. Maybe...

There are so many plots of empty land here in the city, lets start USING them! Community gardens in other places have been successful, and they give people who might not have their own yard a chance to grow some of their own food and avoid some of the overpriced crap at the grocery stores. Besides that, young people could help dig the plots and build fences and planters-taking care of some of the physical inactivity problem.

Stupid, worthless "ad campaigns" encouraging inner city minorities to "eat better" are not going to do anything to help the problem. :rolleyes:

2. mrs_jones

mrs_jones MKJ

good thoughts : )

Hello, Mama : )

Excellent thoughts re: inner city kids. I know someone who grew up in Detroit. He credits the only reason he and his siblings survived is that when they came home, they closed the door. They were also churchgoers and had strong leadership from their mom. Every one of them is doing fine : )

Did you know that Detroit has the largest in-city 4H enrollment in the nation? Urban farming is really taking off there. The lots of abandoned houses are often burned by hooligans on "Devil's Night" (I think it is the day before or after Halloween), or are eventually torn down to keep crime down, leaving many open lots. There are now large urban personal and community vegetable gardens, orchards and even small working farms, in Detroit. Which is good, because the grocery stores dried up and blew away in that area for economic reasons.

3. mrs_jones

mrs_jones MKJ

PS

PS some large military barracks that have sat unused for decades (why so long?) here in my area where housing is WAY overpriced, are now being converted to housing, along with classrooms for community education classes for kids and adults. I will be teaching a cooking class that will show people how to cook very economically, nutritionally, and not have to have access to a store constantly.

4. OldFashionedMama

OldFashionedMama Partyin' like it's 1699

I've read about some of the wonderful things happening up in Detroit-didn't know about the 4H though-that is awesome! This CAN be done, more people just need to get involved. I don't know what our stats are here in Youngstown, but most of the inner city kids I see are not overweight. In fact many of them are UNDER weight because their parents or whatever "adults" in charge don't feed them at all-hunger is a huge problem in our school district right now.

5. mrs_jones

mrs_jones MKJ

Just because someone is 18+ doesn't mean they are an "adult", just like procreating does not make someone a "parent." These are determined by your actions. That is terrible that the kids are not being fed. This will stunt their physical growth and possibly give them permanent lower IQ or learning disorders due to brain not getting the protein, good fats, B vitamins, etc. needed. : ( There ought to be a license for having children. : ( But then there would be the question of political/religious discrimination, etc. But sometimes it makes you wonder . . . I had neighbors one time who would buy beer and let their kids go hungry . . I should have called CPS on them but I was a kid myself at the time and scared of retribution. I should have called it in tho.

One egg a day (with a runny yolk only, not cooked solid or scrambled) is excellent brain food, as are dishes with tuna or salmon (pretty cheap in can).
    Freshly cooked potatoes are very nutritious - more potatssium than bananas ($2 for a 15 lb bag).

Now I am really interested in teaching that class at the new housing project. People think (incorrectly) that healthy food has to be fancy and expensive. It does not. Traditional, familiar, homey foods of many cultures are usually healthy, flavorful and inexpensive. I intend to help people learn : )

If people are willing to brave the crime, a house in Detroit goes for about 15k and empty lots, not sure of price but surely really cheap. Totally cool movement out there : ) Ex was from Detroit and too wussy to go back and do this, even tho his degree was in Horticulture. My log in name is still Mrs_Jones but I am no longer a Mrs at this point : )