Mini Survival Kit?

Discussion in 'Equipment & Survival Kits' started by GatorDude, Sep 4, 2009.

1. GatorDude

GatorDude Well-Known Member

Have any of you made a mini-survival kit? Something that fits in an Altoids tin or the like? What did you put in it?

2. xj35s

xj35s Guest

I usually have my pockets crammed full of stuff. I do have an old first aid plastic box that has...
    1.fishing line sinkers,hooks, 550 para inner strand about 25feet.
    2. a bic lighter with a few wraps of electrical tape.
    3.a small bobin from a sewing machine with kevlar thread.
    4. 2 gallon freezer bags.
    5. a 10'x10 ' plastic painters tarp.

3. mtnmom

mtnmom Active Member

I bet if you went on an all day hiking trip, taking nothing with you, you would know what to put in the tin.:)

The reason I say that is that no matter WHAT you put into it, what you actually NEED to have in it depends on YOUR situation and where you plan to be when you need it.

4. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

truth... (always wanted to do that, once ;) )

wasn't there a 'build a mini survival kit' thread a while back?

5. chrisrich

chrisrich Member

I have a "mini" emergency kit in an empty Altoids tin. I keep one in my apartment and one in the car:

matches
    gum
    small flashlight
    fishing line
    duct tape
    small candle
    small compass
    foil
    ziploc
    safety pins
    wire
    medical tape
    gauze
    bandaids
    alcohol wipes
    plastic container
    tire puncture repair patch
    needle
    thread
    signal mirror
    rubber band
    dental floss
    razor blade
    safety pins
    whistle
    flint & steel
    multitool (Swiss Army Knife or similar...okay this doens't fit, but you should really have one!)

6. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

GatorDude, I am making an emergency fishing kit as found in the July Aug. Backwoodsman Magazine. It all fits in an Altoids Tin. I also just located a spice tin that I may put a smaller one in. I was actually thinking of making a couple of little ones for Christmas Gifts for certain friends.;)

7. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

My wife picked up a cheapie first aid kit at Dick's Sporting ZGoods this summer. It's a red plastic kit that comes with a carabiner, a lid that latches shut, and it's sealed with a gasket. The whole thing is about the size of a chalkboard eraser. More than you could pocket but plenty light to throw in or clip on a pack. It's stuffed with gause, bandages, etc, some of which will be emoved to make way for tylenol and other stuff we feel it needs. Just another option...

8. The_Blob

good for you guys, Jason! :2thumb: I was going to suggest the exact same thing actually... cuz I don't know aboot the rest of you, but my pockets are pretty large ;)

also, I've found that the amount of gauze bandages in those things is so miniscule that the smallest can of instant skin is more effective

9. sailaway

Aboot the caribeener, loose it, the last thing you want is stuff swinging to and fro from your pack on the exterior. It will only get caught on stuff or throw your sense of ballance off if it is heavy ie. a water bottle. Any thing on your pack should be in your pack or securely attached to it.:)

10. The_Blob

good call, sailaway, I totally missed the caribineer...

11. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

I added a small magnifying glass to my mini-kit. Helps with any fine deatil work that might be necessary and is can be used to start small fires (need direct sunlight).

12. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

Cable ties. I love cable ties. So many uses.

13. GatorDude

GatorDude Well-Known Member

Lots of good ideas! :congrat: I really like the cable ties idea and the magnifying glass. You could build a teepee and live for years with a handful of cable ties. I'm such a city slicker, I think of stuff like - a metro fare card, a bunch of quarters, a calling card, an emergency credit card... :D

14. sailaway

Good call on the mini magnifying glass:2thumb: I have one around here some where. It's definately going in the kit.

15. Jason

Sailaway-thanks for mentioning the carabiner. That's a real good point. I'm making vast improvements in my family and personal preparedness, but I still have much to learn aboot.

And Gatordude: keep in mind that survival has to be personalized for you and your envirnment. Canadian and I, for example, live totally different lifestyles. He's in a townhouse in, well, town, and I literally have noone within a half mile of my place. What we do is similar in some ways but vastly different in others. That doesn't mean one of us is right and one wrong, but rather we have each thought aboot what works for us and gone forth with it.

16. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

Again with the aboot. If I was German would it be Dasboot?

17. Jason

That's our little attempt at antidisestablishmentarism (phew)...

picking on the moderator. :D

18. chrisrich

chrisrich Member

This isn't really part of a "med kit" but I think it is a very useful thing to have in a "Git Bag" or in regular camping gear when you are roughing it...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53XmVD78dHk&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - how to make a fish trap in 30 seconds[/ame]

19. youpock

youpock Well-Known Member

Here is a pre-made kit:

Amazon.com: Whistle Creek Survival Kit in a Sardine Can: Home Improvement

lol I stopped at a small gas station off highway 1 in the middle of no where and they had these for $10 a piece so I bought one for all of my cars, one for my small kit and one to open. Haha they aren't bad, they have the stuff squished in better than I could ever stuff things into an altoid tin so that was a plus. The only thing is everything inside is somewhat low quality; but for $10 a piece tho I was very pleased.

I don't have any pictures of the opened tho, :(

Found this generic one on the internets tho:

[​IMG]

20. efbjr

efbjr Well-Known Member

Correct number...?

Shouldn't it be duboot...after all most people wear two (du) boots!? :confused::D