Prepared Society Forum banner

Militia Training

28K views 119 replies 49 participants last post by  ENIGMA6 
#1 ·
So, a friend and I have started a militia, and I need opinions.

We've studied a lot of the stuff US-GI's have done in WWII and Vietnam, but we live in a pretty mountainous area. Should we look at things that European (mainly Swiss and German) mountaineer divisions have done? Thanks.

#2 ·
So, a friend and I have started a militia, ....
Why? Might be important regarding training. Do either of you have any military, paramilitary training/service/experience?

If you're going up against trained and equipped military units you might start with guerrila warfare unless you just want to be cannon fodder.

#3 ·
Why? Might be important regarding training. Do either of you have any military, paramilitary training/service/experience?

If you're going up against trained and equipped military units you might start with guerrila warfare unless you just want to be cannon fodder.
Thats what we've been working on. Myself no, but my cousin who's currently in the US Army is helping out with what he can.

#4 ·
Here is a little advice for you my friend.

First, I would steer clear of using the term "militia" when talking about developing tactical field skills. You would be an absolute fool if you didn't think the feds were monitoring this forum as well as other forums to find people who may be a threat to national security. The term "militia" is certainly one of those trigger words.

Second, I doubt very seriously if you are looking to form an organized "militia". I would assume that you are actually looking at developing a skill set that would allow you to survive in a potentially hositle environment.

Third, I would focus my attention on actual prepping first. Develop your long-term food and water storage plan and implement this plan. Look at potential bug-out locations and possibly caching supplies near your bugout location.

Hope this helps a little bit.

#5 ·
First, I would steer clear of using the term "militia" when talking about developing tactical field skills. You would be an absolute fool if you didn't think the feds were monitoring this forum as well as other forums to find people who may be a threat to national security. The term "militia" is certainly one of those trigger words.
While this may be true, this forum is so filled with trigger words I doubt that we escape notice if the feds are actively monitoring as you suppose. I wouldnt be terribly surprised if you were correct but not using the term "militia" hardly minimizes your exposure. Big Sis probably doesnt like the term "BOB", "BOL" especially when combined with the words "freedom" or "garden". :ignore:

#6 ·
While this may be true, this forum is so filled with trigger words I doubt that we escape notice if the feds are actively monitoring as you suppose. I wouldnt be terribly surprised if you were correct but not using the term "militia" hardly minimizes your exposure. Big Sis probably doesnt like the term "BOB", "BOL" especially when combined with the words "freedom" or "garden". :ignore:
Thanks for your rebuttal on my post--any advise for this young prepper or do you just debate issues on this forum. After all this is a forum geared towards prepping.

#7 ·

LOL,I agree.This is'nt the 17th century anymore where you 'run through the briars and the brimmels' and fight those doing the same.

This modern military can find you in a 4 foot thick bunker with their technological equipment.

Unless we do somethign peacefully AND QUICK to take back our nation there will be no preparing or hiding where they can't find us.

Preparing for desaster is very wise thing.But sooner or later you will be found.

The thign to do is prepare and get invovled while you do so.

Go to your local commish or town meetings.You will be amazed at what goes on in them.Otherwise your not the solution but are major part of the problem.

Where will your children hide in a dictatorship?

#8 ·
Thanks for your rebuttal on my post--any advise for this young prepper or do you just debate issues on this forum. After all this is a forum geared towards prepping.
Well it wasn't really a rebuttal of your post as a whole. I just disagree that the word "militia" causes any undue attention. I would say to avoid discussing this topic as a whole on a public forum like this that anyone can read. Since so many would get the wrong idea at the first mention of a militia (by any name) my first recommendation would be not to mention it to anyone outside of the "militia" unless you were sure they would receive it well. I dont disagree with his right to form a militia or other group. As for how and what to train on I have no idea.

I guess Im saying to be careful of what you say (regardless of the words used to say it) because it will likely be received wrong and there is no privacy on the internet.

#9 ·
Well it wasn't really a rebuttal of your post as a whole. I just disagree that the word "militia" causes any undue attention. I would say to avoid discussing this topic as a whole on a public forum like this that anyone can read. Since so many would get the wrong idea at the first mention of a militia (by any name) my first recommendation would be not to mention it to anyone outside of the "militia" unless you were sure they would receive it well. I dont disagree with his right to form a militia or other group. As for how and what to train on I have no idea.

I guess Im saying to be careful of what you say (regardless of the words used to say it) because it will likely be received wrong and there is no privacy on the internet.
Thanks for the clarification my friend

#10 ·
Guerrilla warfare is the only way to go now a days. Large countries have to much technology on their side. Thus making a fair fight impossible. Hit 'em hard hit 'em fast. Proven tactics. Been used by many successful. Read up on Sun Tzu's Art of War very informative and holds true today. Learn to hide in plain sight and how to gain the support of the people.

The only question are you a band of brothers or a militia.

Strategy and tactics of guerrilla warfare - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On Guerrilla Warfare — Ch 1

The last link is for military manuals, skills, and other stuff (its all free) lots of good stuff.

500 Free U.S. Military Manauls Survival Ebooks Info Center

PS You should start using anonymizers now. Anything not state or gov funded that can be considered a militia has its members labelled as domestic terrorists. It's a sad fact of this world.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Several suggestions:

Nobody's talking about forceably overthrowing the US gubbermint here, there's plenty of ways that can be done more or less peaceably, we do it every four years.

First, get thee to an Appleseed shoot. Those guys are definatly NOT "militia" and if they do one thing well, it is teach the basics of marksmanship.

However you'll need to understand they teach ONLY the basics of marksmanship and shoot mostly at 75m (82ft) so there is no way in heck you was going to "own the rifleman's quarter mile" as they say. for that, I'd say to go to at least a couple NRA Hi-Power clinics so you'll have a good understanding of ballistics and actual long range shooting.

For personal defense you need to find an IDPA competition and start regular pratice, you'll suck at first but you'll develop an excellent skillset of handguns. Some IDPA matches will feature carbines or "3-Gun" matches (Pistol, Shotgun & Rifle)

If you haven't started prepping then start. Now. its relativly easy to build a three month supply and then just build on that.

Lastly, don't buy into the "you'll get your butts kicked". The US Military got whupped bad in Korea, Vietnam (I served), Beriut, Somalia and the 'Stan's by a bunch of malnourished kids and Khat chewin' *********.

I'd suggest you guys pick up a copy of Rules for Radicals by Saul Alinsky. Its essentially the playbook for left-wingers. Learn to use their tactics against them.

Derision and ridicule are their primary weapons when attempting to squash thoughts they don't agree with.

Like some of the posts in this thread. :rolleyes:

#12 ·
Here is a little advice for you my friend.

Second, I doubt very seriously if you are looking to form an organized "militia". I would assume that you are actually looking at developing a skill set that would allow you to survive in a potentially hositle environment.

Third, I would focus my attention on actual prepping first. Develop your long-term food and water storage plan and implement this plan. Look at potential bug-out locations and possibly caching supplies near your bugout location.

Hope this helps a little bit.
F_F makes some great points here. Not to mention the fact on your avitar you say "teenager" before giving you much serious advice I'd want to know how old you are? Next I'd suggest as Farmer said forget the "militia" idea.
Hopefully your just looking to form a "MAG" ( Mutual Assistance Group) to help get through whatever may happen.

Up until now I have not posted much about my military history. But maybe doing so will help you understand some things.

I am an 18 year army veteren, Airborne Ranger for 16 years of it. A sniper team member for 14 years. the last 6 as a Delta team member. Served in Desert storm, Grenada, Panama, peace keeping duty in Egypt. Was an observer/ advisor in the Fauklands. Among other assignments.

Now that being said I will not mention it again, I would not want to try and go up against the Military even using geurilla tactics. They simply would have you out gunned and out manned.

If your looking to "survive" a bad situation then I strongly advise that you.

1. learn as much as you can about the area you live in. "bugging out" to the mountians or whatever is not a viable option. You won't be able to carry enough supplies to last very long. So you might have to stay where you are. Or get a pre set BOL set up.

2. Learn and practice useful skills that you'd actually use. Edible and medicinal plants in your area, Building a fire with mutiple methods, finding and preparing safe water sources, First aid and life saving techniques, that sort of thing.

3. Observe OPSEC and watch what you say and who you say it to. In times of plenty your friends and neighbors are great. However when TSHTF these people could and very likely will become a threat especially those who have failed to prepare and run out of supplies and know you have them.

4. KEEP AN OPEN MIND!! Keep learning. You can always get useful advice no one knows everything. Read everything you can get your hands on, even the most assinine sounding books offer at least some useful information even if it shows you what NOT to do.

#13 ·
F_F makes some great points here. Not to mention the fact on your avitar you say "teenager" before giving you much serious advice I'd want to know how old you are? Next I'd suggest as Farmer said forget the "militia" idea.
Hopefully your just looking to form a "MAG" ( Mutual Assistance Group) to help get through whatever may happen.

Up until now I have not posted much about my military history. But maybe doing so will help you understand some things.

I am an 18 year army veteren, Airborne Ranger for 16 years of it. A sniper team member for 14 years. the last 6 as a Delta team member. Served in Desert storm, Grenada, Panama, peace keeping duty in Egypt. Was an observer/ advisor in the Fauklands. Among other assignments.

Now that being said I will not mention it again, I would not want to try and go up against the Military even using geurilla tactics. They simply would have you out gunned and out manned.

If your looking to "survive" a bad situation then I strongly advise that you.

1. learn as much as you can about the area you live in. "bugging out" to the mountians or whatever is not a viable option. You won't be able to carry enough supplies to last very long. So you might have to stay where you are. Or get a pre set BOL set up.

2. Learn and practice useful skills that you'd actually use. Edible and medicinal plants in your area, Building a fire with mutiple methods, finding and preparing safe water sources, First aid and life saving techniques, that sort of thing.

3. Observe OPSEC and watch what you say and who you say it to. In times of plenty your friends and neighbors are great. However when TSHTF these people could and very likely will become a threat especially those who have failed to prepare and run out of supplies and know you have them.

4. KEEP AN OPEN MIND!! Keep learning. You can always get useful advice no one knows everything. Read everything you can get your hands on, even the most assinine sounding books offer at least some useful information even if it shows you what NOT to do.
Very good info.Thanks for your servce too,I laways said my heros are military,cops,firemen ,but especially special forces.But some of these same people who I honor can be decieved by their officers and some can't wait to test out all that training.

Look at history,it will tell us a lot about mankind.

Look what the animal did at Ft,Hood.PC got all those marines killed.

Now Obombs wants Nasa to reach out to islam,what has islam got to do with space?

Your right ,imo we can not win against them with violence.The peaceful target for us should be the leaders who control our military.

Look at those who are persecuted and locked up by their military.Nothing said by the others. Its their job to follow orders,its our job to make sure those orders are legal.

#14 ·
yeech.
1 "militia" is asking for a call from the BATFE/FBI.call it a "citizen's preparedness group".

2 look up your local "rescue squad"[if you have such a thing still!]or find the town Civil Defense office and bum them for maps of your area.they're usually bored out of their minds and are glad to help!if your local rescue squad still exists they can provide training and once you get it are glad to let you come along to look for lost hikers and downed airplanes.

3 Keep your guns low-key,same goes for the camouflage.if people think you're a bunch of terrorist/raciest/wtf evers,they'll treat you like it!look as non military as possible!

4 spend as much time getting a good name for your group as you do training,goodwill of the locals is a must!

5 try to get everyone using the same type of weapons and equipment,saves a lot of hassles!

hope that helps.:wave:

#15 ·
Aight so I'll reform my terminology. Unorganized isnt the term however. We try to keep up on members of said group, as well as have certain people classified in specific groups based upon their passed experiences in BSOA, military, police, ect. However our willingness to protect the US of A shouldn't be under exagerated. For now a lot of it is hikes and camping of course.

To protect my own name, trust me, just because I'm of a younger age doesn't mean I haven't done my reading and research.

Here, we have absolutely nothing with CD up here, haha. The whole area where I lived is so deprived culturaly and economically it's not even funny.

I'm 17.

#16 ·
Starting

I guess I'm am old timer but we all have to start from some place. I would suggest that anyone start with a true self evaluation of assets and skills. Set up a schedule of what you need first and go from there. The basics food, water, all that stuff which is easy to get advise on. Then every week try to learn one new skill ie, put a tire on a rim by hand, plant something, kill and cook a chicken in the wild, make a shirt by hand from some type of material, build a fire in the rain, learn replacement drugs fron nature, make a splint, pick a lock, hot wire a car, move cross country by compass,filter water from mud,,,you get the point. Every week add to your skill set. Keep inventory and practice. The best weapon you will ever have is you brain. "What if" every where you go and do,, watch people and there reactions to things and learn to blend in,,,its easier than fighting it out if your standing alone. Read and learn on here I do. Find some older people, farmers, wood workers, weilders, hobbiest and ask them to teach you a skill,,,they will. You will never be ready for everthing but just dont expect a fast draw to get you thru the hard times....cool head and skills will

#18 ·
List of what we've done so far:
-Practiced camping and survival in a wet environment (including rain)
-Stayed out for 2 days in cold weather conditions
-Practiced climbing both trees and rock walls of the natural type
-Numerous summer camp outs
-Hiked as a group in my yard and at state parks.

#21 ·
"oldsoldier" and others have valid points.

I would add this; divert your thinking away from operations that would stand up against trained armies. Focus on skills needed to dissuade bands of criminal or thugs. Now that you have that thought process...

use US Army Infantry Battle Drills. Look for ARTEP 7-8 (drill). This is now outdated as far as publications go and the conversion to FM3 series, but these drills are still the core of a team, squad, platoon operational drill.

Read, understand, crawl, walk, run. After action review each iteration until you can execute to standard.

Then...begin to intensify the "conditions" in which you execute. Thicker woods, cold weather, rain, NIGHT, heat, NIGHT, etc.

Here is a list of squad / platoon battle drills. Don't overcomplicate this:

I have deleted the "mounted" tasks. I would focus on React To Contact, Conduct Attack, React to Ambush, and Break Contact.

TASK: Conduct Platoon Attack (7-3-D101)

TASK: Knock Out Bunkers (Platoon) (7-3-D106)

TASK: Enter and Clear a Building (Platoon) (7-3-D108)

TASK: Enter/Clear a Trench (Platoon) (7-3-D110)

TASK: Conduct Initial Breach of a Mined Wire Obstacle (Platoon) (7-3-D112)

TASK: React to Contact (Platoon/Squad) (7-3/4-D103)

TASK: Break Contact (Platoon/Squad) (7-3/4-D104)

TASK: React to Ambush (Platoon/Squad) (7-3/4-D105)

TASK: Conduct Squad Attack (7-4-D102)

TASK: Knock Out a Bunker (Squad) (7-4-D107)

TASK: Enter a Building and Clear a Room (Squad) (7-4-D109)

TASK: Enter/Clear a Trench (Squad) (7-4-D111)

#22 ·
Lots of great advice here, let me add something else. If you can get your hands on a kindle e-reader there are literially thousands of books, pamplets, manuals available many of them free or $1. Plus you have the added advantage of having access to all your material in one small portible source. I have one with around 750 assorted "survival/ tactics" related books on mine as well as 250-300 entertainment type books.

#23 ·
Lots of great advice here, let me add something else. If you can get your hands on a kindle e-reader there are literially thousands of books, pamplets, manuals available many of them free or $1. Plus you have the added advantage of having access to all your material in one small portible source. I have one with around 750 assorted "survival/ tactics" related books on mine as well as 250-300 entertainment type books.
Why not just buy the book itself instead of spending the 115 American for a kindle. Just an idea.

I already have the army's manuals on survival, communications during, prior, and post attack, and the soldier's book of common tasks.

#24 ·
Why not just buy the book itself instead of spending the 115 American for a kindle. Just an idea.

I already have the army's manuals on survival, communications during, prior, and post attack, and the soldier's book of common tasks.
As I posted before, with the kindle you.....

1. can carry around 4,000 books in the palm of your hand catagorized and convenient.

2. you can often get a book that costs $20.00 for a "hard copy" for as little as $1 on kindle.

3. you can "network" your kindle with friends and share books and cost.

4. you can access your library not only from your kindle, but also from your computer as well as your "smart" phone ( such as a iphone)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.