Mileage Tax

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by UncleJoe, Mar 29, 2011.

1. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-acti...les-driven-a-real-option-for-raising-revenues

The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) this week released a report that said taxing people based on how many miles they drive is a possible option for raising new revenues and that these taxes could be used to offset the costs of highway maintenance at a time when federal funds are short.

The report discussed the proposal in great detail, including the development of technology that would allow total vehicle miles traveled (VMT) to be tracked, reported and taxed, as well as the pros and cons of mandating the installation of this technology in all vehicles.

"In the past, the efficiency costs of implementing a system of VMT charges — particularly the costs of users' time for slowing and queuing at tollbooths — would clearly have outweighed the potential benefits from more efficient use of highway capacity," CBO wrote. "Now, electronic metering and billing are making per-mile charges a practical option."

The report was requested by Senate Budget Committee Chairman Kent Conrad (D-N.D.), who held a hearing on transportation funding in early March. In that hearing, Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said the Obama administration is hoping to spend $556 billion over the next six years, much of which would go to federal transportation improvement projects.

Conrad said in response that federal funds are tight, and in asking for recommendations on how to raise that money, he noted the possibility of a VMT tax as a way to solve the problem of collecting less in taxes as people move to more fuel-efficient vehicles.

I wonder if it ever occurred to any of these birdbrains in DC to cut out spending to help generate revenue instead of piling more taxes on us. :rolleyes:

2. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Will they cut out spending to help generate revenue instead of piling more taxes on us?

Nope!

Not till we :soapboxrant:

;)

Just the way I see it. They will pile it on as long as we let them.:ignore:

3. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

Orwell's 1984 looks like Lassie Come Home compared to those devious, spying bastards in DC.

Somehow we need to put the fed back in its cage. :mad:

4. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

Maybe if our education system hadn't been demolished, there would be someone in Washington who knew what happened to every society that overtaxed its citizens....

Shoot, skip learning about every society. Just read up on Rome.

5. MrSfstk8d

MrSfstk8d Well-Known Member

The limited US Government lessons that are mandated in my state could almost suffice IF the tw4ts paid attention. Think, Boston Tea Party. Oh, but Tea Party members are extremists these days, NVM.

But seriously, are they going to install toll booths on every highway and byway through the US to do this? Sure, major metropolitan areas already have tollways, but in my daily drive, I never have to go on more than a three lane divided. I COULD get where I was going on less than that, just not as smoothly or quickly. I can hardly imagine having toll booths, even electronic monitoring ones, in the small handful of cow patty villages I drive through daily. Yet another example of CBO, along with rest of DC, living in an Ivory Tower.

6. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

They do not need to do anything differently, they already have this information! With each yearly vehicle inspection they record the vehicle mileage. Maybe if some of our elected officials actually had to do the things normal, regular folks do (like take the vehicle in for an annual inspection) they would know this?

7. lexsurivor

lexsurivor Well-Known Member

Seems like a excuse for them to put trackers... i mean electronic devices :rolleyes: in cars that dont already have GPS.

8. nkjones1

nkjones1 Active Member

I agree, that would most likely come in the form of a tracking device that sends you a bill automatically once you've driven x amount of miles.