Meeting like-minded folk

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by tortminder, Feb 12, 2011.

1. tortminder

tortminder Well-Known Member

On another forum I frequent a relatively new member asked how to go about meeting like-minded folk. It is a question that I'm sure most of us have asked ourselves at one time or another.

I read the O.P. and a light went off in my head, (might have been a TIA [mini stroke] but I don't think so).

It seemed to me that many folks are frightened by the label "Survivalist" or even the term "Prepper", but are uneasy with what's going on and looking for information. The trick is to get folks together who might know something is happening and want more info, but don't have the slightest idea how to go about it without looking like "a domestic terrorist".

What I decided to do was create a "MeetUp" group in my area, (MeetUp is one of the original social networking sites that allows you to form interest groups that actually meet face to face.) There are groups for dog fanciers; political discussion from all parts of the spectrum; basket weavers... you get the picture.

For my area, I created the North Shore Old Time Skills and Preparedness MeetUp group.

The stated purpose is "a resource... a source of information insuring not only that you and your family will survive... but that they will thrive. It is based upon a mantra from the Great Depression that was inculcated in me by my parents and grandparents: "Use it up... wear it out... make it over... or do without.

It is our goal to help each other in learning and practicing the old-time practical skills like gardening; canning; food dehydrating; leather and wood crafting as well as outdoor skills such as hunting; fishing ; outdoor survival and trapping."

I have a venue and have scheduled the first meeting for Monday, 3-14-2011.

If you are in the vicinity of the Northern Chicago Suburbs, and want further information, check out the link.

Yes, I know it's lousy OPSEC, but I'm an old fart with little to lose, much to share and it might be a great way to find like minded folks in a non-threatening environment.

I'll keep y'all posted.":beercheer:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  2. carolexan

carolexan Junior Member

I wish you good luck with your group. Be safe! I look forward to your post after the meetup.

3. Herbalpagan

Herbalpagan Well-Known Member

I have to say that I took a big chance and went on several of the forums I read and went to their "regional" section and introduced myself. I watched to see if there were any "meet ups" and they met once, at a hotel, and couldn't talk or do neat stuff. So I spent a couple of months chatting to people who were interested and set a meeting date and invited them out to my place (yes, I talked for a long time to some of them and waited to the last minute to give directions). Some camped over, some came for the day. Everyone contributed some topic to talk about, even if it was just sharing a cool gadget and we have room to practice shooting here so they got in some of that too.
    That was a year and a half ago, we meet every month and still have most of the begining crew that showed up. I have learned SO much and would be no where near where I am with my preps if it weren't for the encouragment of meeting with like minded people.

4. CulexPipiens

CulexPipiens Still waiting for the zombies.

Any reason a Monday as opposed to a weekend day when I would think more individuals would be available to attend?

5. FreeNihilist

FreeNihilist Well-Known Member

No matter what I do, I look like a domestic terrorist. :lolsmash:

I know I'm on more than a few watch lists and official's radars.

Of course, preppers, survivalists and the generally intelligent people who are ahead of the curve and free thinking are dangerous to society because we're not buying into it.

I happen to know that organizations are keeping an eye on militias, survival groups, and similar interest groups thinking they are involved in domestic terrorism. Its all quite silly really.

6. tortminder

Actually three reasons:
    1) Weekends are usually family times.
    2) That was when this particular venue was available, (on a Monday evening).
    3) The venue cost is coming out of my pocket and it is more expensive on Saturday.
    :D

7. tortminder

The purpose of the group is not necessarily for hard-core preppers. Most of them would not attend due to opsec.

The purpose of the group is to pass along useful information to folks that are awakening to the current situation and realize that there is much to learn and little time to learn it.

Teaching what I know to others sharpens my skills at what I do. Learning new skills from others increases my personal skill set.

I have no problem with folks who discuss the JBT's, we all know they're out there. The group I have in mind however, will not be a political discussion group, (there are plenty of those around of all flavors), since in my opinion ALL politicians of ALL stripes are full of what makes the roses grow.

For me, it comes down to a line in an old Kingston Trio song; "You've got to prime the pump. You must have faith and believe. You have to give of yourself before you're worthy to receive." This is my attempt to "prime the pump"; "pay it forward" and possibly leave things a bit better than I found them.:soapbox2: