Meat curing and Our Health.

Discussion in 'Nutrition' started by readytogo, Jun 6, 2017.

1. readytogo

readytogo ExCommunicated

We all like to eat healthy and is not easy we all like our bacon ,hams ,sausages
    hotdogs ,jerky`s but process foods are loaded with preservatives ,salts and fats .I cured my own ham ,haven`t cured to much bacon yet although I try to make hotdogs once and it was a fiasco ,but I tried to eat healthy and tasty .If we eat lots of vegetables we are eating lots of Nitrates but they are natural and in non-process foods .The problem comes when this chemicals are pair with other compounds found in food or in your body to form carcinogenic compounds called nitrosamines. As you will see in this article.http://www.nyrnaturalnews.com/heart-disease-2/2013/04/nitrate-rich-veggies-can-help-lower-bp/
    Uncured label foods in the market today are cured with celery seed powder ,they are cured and the FDA is looking into changing the labeling soon.
    This two videos explains it.Myth: The Use of Celery Powder to Cure Some Meats is Misleading
    http://meatmythcrushers.com/myths/the-use-of-celery-powder-to-cure-some-meats-is-misleading.html
    Another good source of information is this one.The National Center for Home Food Preservation
    Guide and Literature Review Series:
    Smoking and Curing
    http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/nchfp/lit_rev/cure_smoke_cure.html
    I never used curing salts in my fresh sausages ,breakfast or Italian ,I make them fresh from fresh meat and freeze them ..Ham I use pork loin cuts and Insta Cure #1 as label ,the ham is then baked/boil till 160* internal temp is reach ,never had any issues .I will now try celery powder and see but will continue to eat as healthy as possible. Hope you find this information helpful.

2. Sentry18

Sentry18 Well-Known Member

If bacon is wrong, I don't want to be right.

3. ClemKadiddlehopper

ClemKadiddlehopper somewhat moldy

From a chemical point of view, nitrate is nitrate, be it celery, spinach or cures #1 or #2.

If one does not want to keep the meat past dinner, than a cure isn't needed, although a ham is just a plain old pork roast without it; nothing ham about it.

A lot of things will kill you much quicker than bacon. Some people drop dead getting out of bed in the morning and others get run over by a raging bull. Some people are killed by lightning and others get hit by lightning multiple times and survive.

Death by cured meat is a fine way to leave this earth, and smoked cured meat is an even happier way to go.

By the way, there aren't any actual properly done and proven studies that show clear links between consuming nitrates and contracting cancer because of it. It is all hearsay and innuendo; no actual facts.

4. Pessimistic2

Pessimistic2 Watching the world self-destruct!

If bacon is wrong, I ain't gonna be right!! :yummy::yummy:

5. RedBeard

RedBeard Guest

Yes there is. Im trying to find it. Well its more of a link to nitrates reaction with a chemical from gmo product containing round up in dog food. Its a nh phd that did it. Ill find it after dinner.

6. terri9630

terri9630 Internet Princess

Your not supposed to eat dog food or round up.:) This is why we grow as much of our food as possible. No round up or anything that we didn't put on it.

7. RedBeard

RedBeard Guest

Haha Ya we grow all our own food too! But those that don't eat gmo products mostly. Any gmo product will and does contain trace amounts of round up. Here is a link to an article about it. Im trying to find his actual paper. It's very interesting.

8. RedBeard

RedBeard Guest

Im still looking. But you are right it's not a direct link to just nitrates it's a link to it and a reaction with round up. So take it for what it's worth to you.

9. Pessimistic2

Take some "store bought food" to a lab and have them do a trace analysis on the chemicals in it....on the other hand, if ya don't grow all your food, what choice do ya have? Ever notice how many foods use BHT as a preservative? BHT is an ingredient of asphalt! Get the picture?? :eek::D

10. terri9630

We don't buy much processed stuff. Only "ingredients" (Dr Pepper doesn't count. Thats mine). My daughters stomach cant handle that stuff and makes her sick.

11. RedBeard

RedBeard Guest

Yup! How about the same crap they make yoga mats out of is put into almost all store bought bread to make it fluffy. I watch people stuff their faces daily with food they absolutely have no clue what's in it or where it's even from. Are you aware that the average beef burger contains over a 1000 different cows? Cows who ate who knows what...Blows my mind and makes my stomach turn. And im not trying to put anyone down who eats store stuff. Some seem to not have a choice. Some just don't understand how easy it is or they just don't know how. Me personally i can tell you the name, breed, age, color, anything you want to know really about every piece of meat my family eats and the animal it belonged to. I have been to commercial chicken and hog farms...... Frigen sick! Wouldn't wish that on my meanest most hated animal. I have also been to a few usda poultry processing plants along with a hooved animal plant. Ya you keep your USDA garbage. Just a fun fact to add is anyone aware that grocery store birds are shipped to china now for processing then shipped back and they don't have to lable country of origin on any meats.... Mmmm ymmmy.

12. terri9630

The country of origin label wouldn't help with the chickens. They "originated" here. Just sent to and processed in China.

13. RedBeard

RedBeard Guest

Yes your right. China's regulations and ours are drastically different. The handling, the facilities, the chemicals used, even what the were washed in. I don't trust meat from our own usda processing plants and i certainly don't trust china!

14. readytogo

readytogo ExCommunicated

I honestly can say that ever since we eliminated process foods in our home our stomach issues have disappear ,our bad cholesterol is in the good numbers so our blood pressure do to all that heavy salt used .Sometimes we get cravings and yes we go for a good sausage or smoke fish , but mostly all our cooking and processing is that at home when I can .The whole issue with nitrites is a mess but the facts are that chemicals are all around us in everything we eat and more of them are introduce everyday with no time for the proper testing so we need to make better choices with our diet.

15. readytogo

readytogo ExCommunicated

In Spain they have a history of great salt cured hams ,no chemicals , ,https://www.tienda.com/jamon/whole-hams.html ,my grandfather ,I was told cured hams that way in Cuba ,up in the hills where it was colder in winter, all the butchering was done in winter also .With the proper tools you can do the same at home .An old refrigerator plug to a humidistat will keep proper tempt and humidity for the hams/meats to cured .Is a simple and old process .
    How to Salt Cure Ham Old-Fashioned Preserving
    http://melissaknorris.com/howtosaltcureham/

16. Pessimistic2

Hey, they've sent us everything from funny baby formula to poisoned dog food!! Kinda makes ya wonder if somebody over there isn't already working on reducing our population!! :dunno:

17. RedBeard

RedBeard Guest

Haha ya im believing they are!

18. RedBeard

RedBeard Guest

Yes Spanish hams finished on the pig while still a live in the forest eating Spanish acorns are cured and can go for upwards if 10grand a ham. I model my bacon and ham brine after an old famous butcher.

19. Pessimistic2

$10 Grand may be pushing it a wee bit, but I found some at $220 a pound! A 15 pound ham would be right at $3300!! :gaah:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/03/...d-of-super-premium-spanish-jamon-iberico.html

Excerpt: "Inside the Secret World of Super-Premium Spanish Jamon Iberico:
    It's a misty Wednesday afternoon and the pigs are hard at work. So is their porquero Juan Carlo, who's busy guiding them across this 1,700 acre farm to the land's choicest acorns. At sunrise, Juan Carlo rouses about 340 pigs from their farmhouse and sets them to work. At sundown he corrals them back to the ranch. This year marks his 25th on the job.

In a few weeks the pigs' work will be done: they'll be sufficiently fattened up from their grazing to be slaughtered, butchered, and turned into some of the most expensive ham in the world—at my local source, $220 for a hand-sliced pound. Why so much? Because it'll be jamon Iberico puro de bellota, acorn-fed pure breed Iberico ham, and sold under the Cinco Jotas (5J) brand, one of the oldest and most well-respected in Spain.

(After slaughter)...The ham-bound legs are then skinned, salted, rinsed, dried, and sent to the curing cellar, where they'll remain for about a year and a half."

Jeeeez, wonder how much their bacon goes for? :eek: