Maybe I won't freeze!!

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by iouJC, Dec 13, 2010.

1. iouJC

iouJC MAGIC Bullet

Finally got the new propane heater to work!! Had leaks, low pressure and all kinds of other issues, but it FINALLY fired up!! I have swithched over from all wood heat to having propane with wood back-up. Before it was all wood. It makes it SO much nincer to come home and not have to freeze until the stove gets going!
    Going down to 9 degrees here tonight suppossedly, I know that 's not THAT cold, but it's pretty cold with no heat until today.

2. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

wow, if your house gets that cold after only being gone for the day... I suggest getting more insulation... that's not right :eek:

glad to hear you won't freeze now :2thumb:

3. iouJC

iouJC MAGIC Bullet

LOL!!! WHAT insulation??!! This house is approximately 90 years old. When I ripped out some of the sheet rock on an outside wall, I was looking at the siding outside!! I am gradually working on it. Haven't had any spare cash for that until just now.
    It has some weird kind of "insulation" in some of the walls.....looks like sawdust????

4. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

Um 9 degrees is very cold brrrrrrr. I'm glad I don't live where you do :lolsmash:

5. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

You can say that again! Brrrrrr

Stay warm iouJC!!!!!!!!!!!

6. The_Blob

sounds like blown cellulose, which is great insulation... for attics... not-so-much for walls since it settles

insulating can earn you $$$ at tax time, but you don't have a lot of time :gaah:

7. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Boy do I know how that feels! We have a balloon frame of rough cut 4x4's that run from the stone foundation all the way to the attic. On the inside is plaster and lathe. On the outside is pinewood siding with asbestos tiles over it. Nothing in between except air. We're working on that a little at a time.

8. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

10 degrees in Ky tonight...I'm turning on the heat pump every hour for 15 minutes to help the water in the pipes underneath the house not freeze...the propane log stove is keeping it nice in the rooms I'm warming.

As I did last night, I pray if there is anyone in my little neighborhood who needs shelter, God send them here.
    As y'all know, I do got food!!!

9. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

It could very well, be just that ... sawdust. Back in the days folks used what they could get their hands on. :D

A 90 year old home ... what ever they used would settle.

Just so you know we are in the same boat ... wood cook stove with propane as a back up.

Stay warm.

10. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

We had a house fire in our township 2 years ago where they used sawdust for insulation. It does a good job of keeping the cold out, I guess, but it's a real firetrap and difficult to extinguish when it's burning. I know nobody is suggesting here that anyone use sawdust for insulation, but if you're considering it, just remember the things that can happen.

11. The_Blob

also, you will need to install firestops between floors, including the basement, if your home was 'balloon constructed' like UncleJoe's was...

ran into the same thing myself with the first house I bought, built in 1919 :gaah:

12. iouJC

iouJC MAGIC Bullet

What is a "balloon frame"??
    Does that mean that the 2X4s just run up
    with nothing in between them?? Yes, that is the way this house is....and the roof is so heavy (it has THREE roofs on it!!) that on the one wall, which is almost a solid wall of floor to ceiling windows, the roof has a slight "bow" to it. What I plan to do is remove the windows (they are the old weighted sliders that don't work/won't open at all) put in a beam or two to support the wall and finish off the front porch, which this area looks out on, and have a sun room out there. The porch roof will not cause the roof to "bow" because it is just a plain roof and doesn't support any attic space or structural beams like the rest of the roof does.

BTW...I didn't freeze....not even frostbite!!
    I would also like to recommend to you all the "Mr. Heater Buddy" It is an AWSOME little heater!! The bedroom in this house has two HUGE closets which have no doors and usually remain "ice caves" unless the wood stove is really crankin'. I covered the openings with blankets and used the "Buddy" in the bedroom and was so warm I had to turn the thing down!! AWESOME!! I ran a line through the wall and used a 20 pound tank of propane and it was WONDERFUL!!
    I also had a "party" with the Red Devil triple expanding "Foam and Fill" and it made a big difference in the amount of wind coming in through the various nooks and crannies!

13. BizzyB

BizzyB BucketHunter

I'll second the endorsement of that heater. We have one that we use up at our (as yet, still) uninsulated hunt shack. It's a game-changer for how many seasons we can use that place now. Awesome little invention.