Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Temps in the upper 80's with the sun shining in till the thunderstorms started to rumble on ... Muggy night coming in! :gaah:

Normal spring time weather ... ;)

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
we have severe weather here in Minnesota...tornado watch ... tornadoes showing up all over the place. going to be this way the next few days....arrgghhh!

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
About 80 degrees here, cloudy and a dry south wind gusting to 30+mph. This weather just sucks the moisture right out of the ground.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hazy, Hot, And Humid ... temps around 90 ~ 93 being the record set back in the 40's.

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
Well, this is Texas, if you dont like the weather you can wait a few minutes.

About an hour ago, it was HOT and not a cloud in the sky, then the wind shifted from south to northeast and the storm started rolling in. It dropped about 20 degrees in 20 minutes and we are under "Severe Thunder Storm Warnings", it almost pitch dark and the clouds are boiling.

No rain yet but quarter sized hail and winds 60+ mph are on the way. The weather radio is squaking like a house full of laying hens.

The radio just changed the warning to golf ball sized hail, am going to sign off until after the storm passes, about 8pm.

Just changed to Tornado WATCH, bye now.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stay safe!!!

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
Well, its all over and all is well. all around us their was golf ball sized hail and 60+ mph winds but not a hail stone or tornado here. It rained buckets for about 45 minutes and a funnel was seen and reported on the Weather Radio about 4 miles south of here and angled off I-20 and went southeast, it touched down somewhere but will have to wait for the 10:00 news to see where.

I just came in from the garden, took a shovel out to see how far the rain penetrated and it went as far as the shovel went on the first scoop. I guess someone heard me asking for a good soaking. In this next few days the garden is going to start growing 90mph. So is the yard, gonna have an acre of grass to mow and make compost of.:2thumb:

That storm was kinda freakish even by Texas standards. 100 degrees one minute and its 72 now and the clouds are thinning out and breaking up. I guess tomorrow its going to be back to the heat but now we are going to have humidity to go with it. Guess I would #$%[email protected](complain) if they hung me with a new rope.

·
985 Posts
The weather is going to get more extreme as the planet's temperature changes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Central Texas

Wish you'd send some of that rain down here Davarm! Its been in the mid 90's for about ten days and we haven't had a drop of rain in weeks and weeks. The giant cracks in the ground are back and I'm afraid we're in for a long dry summer again. I gave up on my flowers and grass last year and only water the garden and my trees now. Get a few $800 water bills and that grass isn't so important. Granted, we have lots of livestock and the ponds and tanks were dirt dry.

I put off turning on my a/c until yesterday. I love the windows open and sleeping that way, but yesterday it just got too hot and too still to sleep. The time of low electric bills is over. We won't even talk about those!

Another summer like the last one and there won't be any big trees left in Central Texas. I read that hundreds of thousands of them died from the heat and drought last year.

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
Wish you'd send some of that rain down here Davarm! Its been in the mid 90's for about ten days and we haven't had a drop of rain in weeks and weeks. The giant cracks in the ground are back and I'm afraid we're in for a long dry summer again. I gave up on my flowers and grass last year and only water the garden and my trees now. Get a few $800 water bills and that grass isn't so important. Granted, we have lots of livestock and the ponds and tanks were dirt dry.

I put off turning on my a/c until yesterday. I love the windows open and sleeping that way, but yesterday it just got too hot and too still to sleep. The time of low electric bills is over. We won't even talk about those!

Another summer like the last one and there won't be any big trees left in Central Texas. I read that hundreds of thousands of them died from the heat and drought last year.
$800.00 WATER BILL, Geeeze, I thought I had a bad one last year at $250.00. If I opened the mailbox and saw that one I would likely wake up in the hospital.

This year, I'm going to hand the 2 DD's still at home, an electric bill to pay in the heat of the summer, they may start turning off lights and watching what they do after that. I would not really do that but if I tell them I am going to, the scare factor may work just as well.

You better be careful about asking to send down the rain, I said the same thing to neldarez last night and we had this freak storm out of the blue today. I am thankful for it but I'm just glad I didn't "BEG" her to send some of it down, we may have had a flood.

In my yard I have planted only trees and shrubs that I have dug up in the dryer parts of Texas, they dont need that much water. I got some Desert Willows down near Del Rio on he Pecos River and they are over 10 feet high and full of blooms now. That has to be the best smelling flower, an intense Rosy Peppery smell that carries in the breeze, love it.

Watch for those rain clouds tomorrow, you may be surprised.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd take a flood right now. Seeing these cracks in the ground in May scares me. The forecast keeps calling for rain then a day or two later they take it out. During the summer last year we had our livestock tanks re-dug and the rains we got in Feb/March filled them all. I can't think about those kinds of water bills without hyperventilating. We have cattle, horses, goats, chickens and lots of dogs and there was absolutely no water last year. Filling up all those troughs , sometimes twice a day really hit us hard

I have a couple of small desert willows and I love them. The only other trees that made it last year are the cedar elms and hackberrys. Big oaks and sycamores all died.

·
191 Posts
I am not going to say it is dry here but....I put out a fish trap in the river and trapped a covey of quail....just saying,:rolleyes:

We have a saying round here..About time for a tropical storm...:D

·
1,920 Posts
Sorry I thought this was a boxing thread, I'll just move along :)

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
Good one FT, I wonder how many that just blew by.....

Sorry I thought this was a boxing thread, I'll just move along :)
The day today was hot and hazy and about an hour ago, the clouds blew in, had about 40 mph gusts, have severe TSs just a few miles north of here, 60+mph winds with ping pong sized hail. The high wind and hail are causing alot of damage, the Weather Radio is making so much racket had to turn it off for a while and follow the the storms on Weather dot com.

Looks like we are going to dodge it again tonight.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
We're having beautiful weather, and it's about time! It's our turn for a little of that! :D It's sunny and in the 70s! :)

·
I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...
1,799 Posts
Yay! I am so glad you finally got some good weather GypsySue!! :D

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
We're having beautiful weather, and it's about time! It's our turn for a little of that! :D It's sunny and in the 70s! :)
:2thumb::2thumb::2thumb:

I'll bet its nice to sit out in that peace and quiet and watch the sun go down on one of those days.

Geeeze, Ms. Sue, that and a glass of ice tea, what more could anyone ask for.

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
Well, I'll try this again, now that the vermin has been exterminated!

It was cloudy and in the low 70's yesterday, cool north wind...good sleeping weather, to bad I had work to do.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts