making felt

Discussion in 'General Homesteading & Building' started by *Andi, Sep 6, 2010.

1. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

All I can say is ... WOW! First it did work and it was EASY! (a little messy - water everywhere :D) But very cool and another home project in the works.

I didn't have all the pretty colors (something I'm going to work on when I pick up some kool aid ;)) But very nice anyway.

You tube :2thumb: Has some very nice clips for anyone who would like to take a look.

2. Callie

Callie New Member

Isn't it amazing? We made it with Koolaid-dyed roving and with carded wool from the sheep, the kids are making felted containers (like a coin purse) and then we're dyeing wool yarn to stitch on the surface. I told them it's a lot faster to make a tiny item than a yurt! But they had a lot of fun with it :)

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

First Welcome!!!

Second it is amazing.:2thumb: and I can't wait till I try it again.

4. JeepHammer

JeepHammer Well-Known Member

VERY COOL!

One of the oldest ways to make durable clothing.

5. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Andi, are you looking to adopt a couple of big kids? :D

Congrats on your new project. :congrat:

6. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

:D

Thanks!

I'm always looking for a new "ol skill" to try.

7. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

How do you do this, post a link to the skill for the method ya used so i know someone has tried it. Sounds interesting for sure. :)

8. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I did try and post a link ... but the pop-up on the forum links, kills me each time ... dial up :gaah:

You can do a search for The Ancient Art of Felt-making or try youtube felt making.

The one lady on youtube was great (IMO) she posted 12 or more short clips (1 -2 minutes) on each stage. So even with dial up ... I could watch them and not take all day. :2thumb: But for anyone with some wool, hot water, soap and bubble wrap ... you are up town and ready to "roll".:D

9. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

10. Callie

Callie New Member

Plus www.knitty.com and e-how.com have articles on how to do the dyeing and felting. Fun times!
    And really, since it's kind of free-form, there are no bad outcomes, it all looks like you meant it to turn out that way :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2010
  11. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Thanks Callie :D I forgot about e-how.com :flower: