Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to certain factual events and the season in Louisiana, along with some internet rumors that keep getting stronger, along with "coincidences" that may be lending credence to the rumors; I'm putting together an "Emergency Family Relocation Contingency Plan".

This includes: detailing 2 Relocation Sites, prioviding long term housing for the family, Salvage of equipment, supplies, and family heirlooms. I am planning for approximately 1 year of relocation.

The Primary location is at 32 deg North Latitude and the Secondary location is at 37 deg North Latitude.

The advantage of writing a plan out now is that time won't be lost when it becomes critically short and requiring action, now.

·
446 Posts
Good luck to you. Seems like things get a little worse each day. :(

Tim

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Sounds like a wise move.
I'm afraid the Gulf coast isn't going to be right for at least a generation. :( You know better than any of us here, but I don't think we're getting the full story from the MSM. Good luck to you and yours.

·
Port St. John Florida
6 Posts
Sounds like a wise move.
I'm afraid the Gulf coast isn't going to be right for at least a generation. :( You know better than any of us here, but I don't think we're getting the full story from the MSM. Good luck to you and yours.
Have to say that I agree that it will be a generation before the gulf is restored to what it was. Regardless of that it's a good idea to have a place to relocate to in an instant without having to think "Know let's see I'll move my orange orchard to New England, yeah that's it."

Better to have a well thought out plan that will work for every member of your family in most if not all ways. A second property is not that expensive either, look at all the money people waste on cars, meals, pepsi, cigarettes etc.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My rough draft so far

This is what I've come up with so far. A friend is getting some info for me from the Secondary Location. I'll be ready to implement this at any time in regard to the Primary Relocation Site.
Emergency Relocation Plan

Updated: 11 June 2010

Purpose: To provide for a Long Term Relocation of family and homestead due to a long term emergency and mandatory evacuation.

Requirements: A safe location near (within 1 hour drive) adequate Medical Facilities, and within driving range of the workplace. The relocation position is preferred to be outside of any city or town corporate limits and should be in a stable area in regards to a small population size per square mile.

Procedures:

1) Maintain a steady news watch when a situation starts developing that has potential for a mass evacuation being ordered by the government for a long period of time. A watch of trusted internet news websites should be monitored daily for situation updates, rumors concerning a mass evacuation being planned, mobilization of Army National Guard units, etc. Contacts with State Emergency Officials should be cultivated so as to substantiate or dismiss rumors, and ramifications and intent of certain actions reported to be undertaken by government agencies.

2) A) Upon receiving confirmation of a coastal evacuation has been ordered, Have Dad rent the trailer lot across the street from his lot.

B) Upon receiving confirmation of a coastal evacuation has been ordered, make and execute immediate arrangements for Mom to go to Xxxxfs for the duration of the emergency.

C) Upon receiving confirmation that a Mass Evacuation, including our homefs area, is going to be ordered, a suitable camper (with a conventional bumper hitch) will be procured and either be parked at home for equipping and stockpiling of supplies, or have it delivered to the Primary Relocation Site. The primary idea is to get out of Xxxxxxxxx and enroute to the Primary or Secondary Relocation Sites as far ahead of the gherdh as possible.

D) Regardless whether the camper is small enough to be towed by our van or not, the van should be equipped with the appropriate hitch system. If possible, a 1 ton box truck will be rented, loaded with valuables and equipment, and then be used to tow the camper to the Primary, and/or Secondary Relocation Sites. Once the camper has been situated at the Relocation Site, the truck will be offloaded at a temporary storage site, and then turned back into the rental company that owns it.

E) The P/U truck will be equipped with a rented towbar and pulled behind the van for the journey to the Primary and/or Secondary Relocation Site.

F) The expandable, portable wheelchair ramps will be used for Xxxxxhs chair until a wooden wheelchair ramp can be built.

3) A) Items to be included in rented 1 ton box truck:

1) 1st Priority: Xxxxxfs personal equipment and supplies.

2) 2nd Priority: Emergency food, water, seeds, and medical supplies.

3) 3rd Priority: All camping equipment.

4) 4th Priority: All pertinent reference books from the garage.

5) 5th Priority:

B) Items to be included in personal truck:

1) 1st Priority: All fuels. This includes stored gasoline, camp stove fuel, coal oils, propane in small bottles and in 5gal tanks, Sterno, Lighter fuel, Charcoal, etc.

2) 2nd Priority:

C) Items to be included in the personal van:

1) 1st Priority: Suitcases with personal clothes, medications, Family business files (insurance papers, birth certificates, etc.)

4) Relocation Sites:

A) The Primary Relocation Site is at Xxxxxx Trailer Park in Xxxxxxxx, La. Dad has $xxxx cash to rent the lot across from him, once we tell him to or if he notices lots suddenly being rented (indicating that others plan to relocate there). These lots rent for $xx.00 per month and have electricity, gas, water, sewage, and cable or satellite coverage available. See Annex A for details concerning Xxxxxx Trailer Park.

B) The Secondary Relocation Site will be in the Xxxxx, Mo area, preferably on the East side of Xxxxx. See Annex B concerning Xxxxx information.

5) In the event that Property Values have dropped below that which is owed on the mortgage, we will stop making Mortgage Payments and use that money to sustain living a gRelocated Lifestyleh.

@

Annex A

1) Xxxxxx Trailer Park is located just outside of Xxxxxxxx, La on La State Hwy xx. It consist of a gravel drive in a semi-circular pattern, with Lots set off of the gravel drive.

2) Each lot has electrical, gas, water, cable, telephone, trash pickup, and sewage hookups. The electrical, gas, cable, and telephone hookups must be arranged with the appropriate utility company. Water and sewage treatment connections/services are provided by the trailer park owner. Either cable or satellite feed must be arranged separately with the corporate providers of those services.

3) Each trailer lot has a concrete pad that is wide enough to accommodate a camper and have sufficient room left over for a wheelchair ramp to be installed alongside of the camper.

4) Temporary Storage Units Location and costs:

5) Medical Facilities/Locations: There is a small hospital in Xxxxxxxx, La that is capable of treating small emergencies. A Regional hospital, a Heart Hospital, is located in Xxxxxxx, Ms. Major Medical Facilities and capabilities are located in Xxxxxxxxx, La and in Xxxxxxx, Ms.

Annex B

1) (location and description)

2) Each lot has

3) Each trailer lot has

4) Temporary Storage Units Location and costs:

5) Medical Facilities/Locations:

Please feel free to poke holes in this draft. I'm trying to fill in any gaps that I can find or think of, before I print it out and add it to my Contingency Plan Repertoire!!!!

·
Zookeeper
145 Posts
Nice - I need to write up something like this. I assume you have looked into these items, but I would be wary of planning to buy/rent after something happens (such as the camper, tow bar, etc.). Be sure to include a plan if you are unable to rent or buy these items. We ended up having to pay a friend to haul a broken truck on one move, because we could not secure a towbar that fit.

Thanks for the inspiration.

·
www.veggear.blogspot.com
720 Posts
If you don't mind my asking, what are you worried about? The oil, the bad storms that are predicted or...?

·
Retired Army
320 Posts
Good plan

I like your framework and start at delineating responsibilities. My plan is oral right now, everyone trusts "Dad's got it wired". I need to move beyond that, in your direction.

Three observations, tho you may have it covered.

1/ In a mobile park setting, homes are usually closely packed together. Some fencing wire and T posts might be valuable to cordon off your area when you roll up with a crapload of equipment and prying eyes ask questions. Even to fence off a garden in a formerly vacant lot that is now "yours".

2/ Also as in previous threads, doing some stealth gardening and planting some fruit and nut trees might prove beneficial in your BOLs.

3/ With a written plan, what is your OPSEC (Operations Security) Plan to keep the information confidential?

Thanks for sharing and I hope you provide updates.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some things unsaid....

1/ In a mobile park setting, homes are usually closely packed together. Some fencing wire and T posts might be valuable to cordon off your area when you roll up with a crapload of equipment and prying eyes ask questions. Even to fence off a garden in a formerly vacant lot that is now "yours".

This park is "off the beaten track". It has about 30 lots and about 5 of them are occupied. This is an interim stop to catch my breath. I have access to more remote areas, if the place gets too crowded.

2/ Also as in previous threads, doing some stealth gardening and planting some fruit and nut trees might prove beneficial in your BOLs.

These "other areas" also gives me places to conduct stealth gardening and secure places to cache other resources. There are a lot of trees that will provide food as well.

3/ With a written plan, what is your OPSEC (Operations Security) Plan to keep the information confidential?

I'm keeping those details to myself. I've "Xx'd" out critical data so as to maintain a certain level of ComSec. IRT "OpSec", I will not be willing to "announce" the "when" that I am putting the plan into motion, except for a few close family and associates.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Due to certain factual events and the season in Louisiana, along with some internet rumors that keep getting stronger, along with "coincidences" that may be lending credence to the rumors; I'm putting together an "Emergency Family Relocation Contingency Plan".
I found an article last night on my WII-news - I'll just quote it here and then comment:

AssociatedPress said:
June 11 2010
CADDO GAP, Ark. - Floodwaters that rose as swiftly as 8 feet an hour tore through a campground packed with vacationing families early Friday, carrying away tents and overturning RVs as campers slept. At least 16 people were killed, and dozens more missing and feared dead.

Heavy rains caused the normally quiet Caddo and Little Missouri rivers to climb out of their banks during the night. Around dawn, floodwaters barreled into the Albert Pike Recreation Area, a 54-unit campground in the Ouachita National Forest that was packed with vacationing families.

The raging torrent poured through the remote valley with such force that it peeled asphalt off roads and bark off trees. Cabins dotting the river banks were severely damaged. Mobile homes lay on their sides.

Two dozen people were hospitalized. Authorities rescued 60 others.

Marc and Stacy McNeil of Marshall, Texas, survived by pulling their pickup truck between two trees and standing in the bed in waist-deep water.

"It was just like a boat tied to a tree," Marc McNeil said, describing how the truck bobbed up and down.

They were on their first night of camping with a group of seven, staying in tents. The rain kept falling, and the water kept rising throughout the night, at one point topping the tool box in the back of the truck.

"We huddled together, and prayed like we'd never prayed before." Stacy McNeil said. They were able to walk to safety once the rain stopped.

After the water receded, anguished relatives pleaded with emergency workers for help finding more than 40 missing loved ones.

At one point, Gov. Mike Beebe said the death had climbed to 20. But Beebe's office later revised that figure to 16, saying he had relied on an erroneous figure after talking to an emergency worker at the scene.

Still, authorities agreed that the death toll could easily rise. Forecasters warned of the approaching danger during the night, but campers could easily have missed those advisories because the area is isolated.

"There's not a lot of way to get warning to a place where there's virtually no communication," Beebe said. "Right now we're just trying to find anybody that is still capable of being rescued."

The governor said damage at the campground was comparable to that caused by a strong tornado. The force of the water carried one body 8 miles downstream.

While the governor spoke, rescuers in canoes and kayaks were on the Little Missouri looking for bodies and survivors who might still be stranded. Crews were initially delayed in their search because a rock slide blocked a road leading to the campsites.

"As that river goes down, you don't know how many people are under it," the governor said.

Authorities prepared for a long effort to find other corpses that may have been washed away.

"This is not a one- or two-day thing," said Gary Fox, a retired emergency medical technician who was helping identify the dead and compile lists of those who were unaccounted for.

"This is going to be a week or two- or three-week recovery."

The heavily wooded region offers a mix of campgrounds, hunting grounds and private homes. Wilderness buffs can stay at sites with modern facilities or hike and camp off the beaten path.

Denise Gaines was startled awake in her riverfront cabin by a noise that sounded like fluttering wings. She saw water rushing under the cabin door.

"I thought it must have been an angel that woke me up," she said. She woke up the six others in her cabin and started packing her things.

Gaines, who lives in Baton Rouge, La., had been through this before with Hurricane Gustav.

"We could feel the cabin shaking," said her fiance, Adam Fontenot.

After the cabin filled with chest-deep water, the group clung to a tree and each other outside for more than an hour. But then the water dropped quickly, several feet in just a few minutes.

As the water receded, the devastation emerged: Cars were piled atop each other, and bodies were in the water. The group sought shelter in a nearby cabin that was higher off the ground. They were eventually rescued in a jeep.

Forest Service spokesman John Nichols said it would have been impossible to warn everyone that the flood was coming. The area has spotty cell phone service and no sirens.

"If there had been a way to know this type of event was occurring, it'd be closed period," Nichols said.

A trooper on duty noticed high water about 3 a.m. and notified the sheriff's department, which responded to the scene.

The water is usually low, allowing people to wade and fish in it during the summer, Nichols said.

Brigette Williams, spokeswoman for the American Red Cross in Little Rock, estimated that up to 300 people were in the area when the floods swept through.

"There's no way to know who was in there last night," state police spokesman Bill Sadler said. It would be difficult to signal for help because of the rugged and remote nature of the area being searched, some 75 miles west of Little Rock.

The Arkansas Department of Emergency Management sent satellite phones and specialized radio equipment to help in the rescue effort.

Campground visitors are required to sign a log as they take a site, but the registry was carried away by the floodwaters.

Wanda McRae Nooner, whose son and daughter-in-law have a home and a cabin along the river, said her son was helping rescuers.

"I know they've been bringing the bodies up there in front of their house until they can get ambulances in and out. It's just the most horrible thing. It's almost unbelievable."

By early evening, state police had identified 14 of the 16 bodies recovered, but they did not disclose names of the dead, which included a number of children.

Teams planned to search until dark. Police said no survivors had been found since late morning.

The rough terrain likely kept some campers from reaching safety, according to Tabitha Clarke, a hydrologist with the National Weather Service office in North Little Rock.

Some parts of the valley are so steep and craggy that the only way out is to hike downstream. Any hikers who had taken cars to the campsites would have been blocked at low-water bridge crossings that are inundated when the rivers rise, she said.

The National Weather Service issued a flash flood warning around 2 a.m. after the slow-moving storm dumped heavy rain on the area. At that point, a gauge at nearby Langley showed the Little Missouri River was less than 4 feet deep. But as the rain rolled down the steep hillsides, it built up volume and speed.

Authorities established a command post near the post office in Langley, along the Little Missouri. Helicopters landed behind a general store, and a triage unit was set up at a volunteer fire department.

___

Associated Press writers Justin Juozapavicius in Caddo Gap, Chuck Bartels and Andrew DeMillo in Little Rock, and Andale Gross in Chicago contributed to this report.
This flash-flood happened late at night, when many were still sleeping. Families have been torn apart with one spouse left alive to contempate what just happened to their family.

I personally am going to re-think my plans for a BOL as well as possible places to be moving to and putting flood-waters into my check-list. One area that I normally camp in has a flood-plain and I have never camped on that strip but I have seen many that do camp along there. My Jeep is capable of fording water 48" deep easily but there is no chance that it would be able to deal with waters at 8' where my roof-line is about 9' above the ground.

I am not trying to derail your plans, but, would like to try to add just one more facet to your planning to verify that the zone that you would bring your family towards would not be in a flood-plain. Just a reminder that MotherNature can unleash a fury that rivals the worst that man can do, but, does it without warning and without mercy.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have taken the Arkansas lesson to heart. Most places I camp at do not have a flash flood problem BUT, I don't think I have stopped to check the strange places, for me to camp in, for any high water marks.

I will definitely be conscious of that possibility in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts