Makin a new Firesteel

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by OldCootHillbilly, Apr 30, 2011.

1. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Been wantin ta do a new one. Found some used quality file handles at a fleamarket an bought all the feller had.

Bored out the top an put a button compass up there an gorilla glued a 5/16 firesteel in the bottom. Still workin on it, but yall will get the idea from this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thinkin bout addin some sort a decoration on that handle but ain't decided what yet. Also gotta decide how I"m gonna mount the striker to it if I decide ta go that route.

When I got all the thinkin done, I'll give it a light sand an a couple a coats a tongue oil fer a finish.

2. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

Keep us posted. Looks interesting.

3. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Its been a while since you last posted on this. I just watched a video on using FireSteel in wintertime to make a fire and remembered that you had wrote something 'bout it.

A bit of a "surprise, the fire is started" video, I got a giggle outta it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=-T1pXOC_AkU

4. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Yeah, been to busy to finish it. I chunked it inta my bag an just been usin it.

Interestin shelter in that vid!

5. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

In my humble opinion it looks fine the way it is, Coot. Looks like a professional tool, with its beauty lying in its functionality.

6. Veldro

Veldro Member

I think it looks pretty good! Definitely a good tool to have in a time of need.