Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Good information there ...

I have a question. I have a small solar-panel that I have attached to the deep-cycle (liquid) RV batteries for my camping trailer. The small panel states that it will keep a battery good during long periods of non-use (ie: winter).

I have seperated my battery from the trailer and put it in a temperature controlled zone, the solar-panel is sitting in a window to gather afternoon-sun and the wires are hooked properly to the RV batteries pos/neg posts properly. Would you agree that this is a good way to keep batteries good for the winter-time, or, would you have a better plan for me to go with?

I also use the same solar-panels in my vehicles that are rarely driven during the winter to keep the battery topped up. I leave the battery attached in the vehicle, the vehicle's clock and such will continue to run through-out the winter and the battery seems to do well enough.

Any other ideas for me?

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I just did some testing last weekend on a 40-watt solar-system and that 12-volt RV battery. I was trying to run a small 12-volt cooler off of the battery / solar system. It seems that 40-watts of solar generating power (at about 22.5 volt at high-noon) isn't enough power to keep the battery topped up and running the cooler at the same time.

I am not positive (I don't have a meter to verify), but, I believe that the 40-watts of solar was only putting out around 3.5-amp to 4-amp of power. My 80-watt panel tops out around 8-watt if I remember the paperwork properly.

More testing / design needs to be done now ..

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I am going to have to find a copy of that book - could it be found on Amazon?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts