Prepared Society Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Noob
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is not a gun geek site, but I saw that the SKS was not considered by some to be a good MBR. I live in the PRK (Peoples Republic of Kalifornia), so an SKS is about as good as gets here I think.

What is a good MBR in general?

·
a dude
654 Posts
The SKS is not a Main Battle Rifle for several reasons:

A Main Battle Rifle is a rifle capable of semi automatic and/or full automatic fire, firing a full sized rifle cartridge from a detachable box magazine, serving (or that served) as the issue rifle for a military force. Rifles generally considered to be Main Battle Rifles include G-3's, FN FAL's, M14's, CETME's, and the BM59. Some might argue against the definition of having been an issue weapon and that would then include the AR-10 in this group. Others might argue the M1 Garand is definitely a Main Battle Rifle, but it doesn't use a detachable magazine.

The SKS is semi automatic. It's a rifle (or carbine.) It doesn't fire a full sized rifle cartridge, it fires an intermediate round, like assault rifles, but generally it's not an assault rifle as only some were factory made and issued with detachable magazines. Like the M1 Garand, this rifle doesn't fit neatly into any category.

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
Sure been a lot of people killed by the soldiers using an SKS despite it's "intermediate" cartridge and lack of a detachable magazine. Just what is it that a MBR is supposed to do?

·
a dude
654 Posts
Sure been a lot of people killed by the soldiers using an SKS despite it's "intermediate" cartridge and lack of a detachable magazine. Just what is it that a MBR is supposed to do?
'Main Battle Rifle' is a specific term refering to distinct category of rifle, just like the terms Assault Rifle denotes a specific type, and submachinegun, general purpose machinegun, squad automatic weapon and personal defense weapon all categorize firearms. Those categories collectively include firearms firing a wide range of cartridge sizes and different feed mechanisms. Yes, the SKS, like weapons in every category can kill people but that's not a distinct criteria mentioned in the terms. I believe that all of these weapons categories include firearms designed to do damage to people so that isn't part of the distinction in categorizing them. A firearm doesn't become a 'Main Battle Rifle' simply because it can kill people.

Main Battle Rifle example:

Assault Rifle example:

Submachinegun example:

Personal Defense Weapon example:

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
And just where would a MBR fit in the plans of a prepper? Is this supposedly something a person just couldn't/shouldn't be without?

·
Noob
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just wondering as to what people mean by an MBR. Full auto and detachable clips are out for my state. Now I know I can't have one.:cry:

·
a dude
654 Posts
And just where would a MBR fit in the plans of a prepper? Is this supposedly something a person just couldn't/shouldn't be without?
Dude! Reading comprehension. This discussion is in regards to the term. Whether a person feels they need an MBR is up to him or her.

There's some seriously weird spring boarding there.

jnrdesertrats-it doesn't need to be full auto as many MBR's were just semi, but the detachable magazine will definitely be part of it. HOWEVER, I don't think any state, even with an 'assault weapons' ban, bans the M1 Garand which is fed by an 8 round clip, actually called an "En-Bloc Clip" as opposed to a 'stripper clip', the Garand En-Bloc clip stays with the rounds in the weapon until they're all expended and it's ejected, as opposed to stripper clips which generally are removed during the loading process. The good thing is the M1 is a great weapon, the clips are cheap, and although there's a risk of the bolt catching your thumb, you can load that SOB quick. Although the M1 Garand isn't a MBR by most definitions, for some it is an exception.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
When you are a guest in someone else's house, you accept the rules that they have set for their house. Would you walk into someones house puffing a big ol' cigar if asked not to? :scratch OK. YOU probably would. :rolleyes:
We are guests here in this house. We were invited here to discuss homesteading and preparedness. If the head of this house asks us to take firearms talk to the sister site he has set up for that reason, then we respect his rules and go there. In case you didn't notice the link in the post right above yours; here it is again. Go over there and talk shop with them.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
gunnuts are mostly just that, gunnuts. They refuse to go TEST the bs they have heard/read. I'm tired of arguing with them. They won't even shoot some alley cats to see if what I say about .45 ball is so. They'd rather risk their lives (supposedly, most don't even carry) to bs they've heard about how "effective" that sorry old load is.
Are you advocating shooting cats?

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
doesn't Underwriters' Laboratories use alleycats in all of their testing? :rolleyes: :sssh: :ignore: :lolsmash:

·
Registered
418 Posts
gunnuts are mostly just that, gunnuts. They refuse to go TEST the bs they have heard/read. I'm tired of arguing with them. They won't even shoot some alley cats to see if what I say about .45 ball is so. They'd rather risk their lives (supposedly, most don't even carry) to bs they've heard about how "effective" that sorry old load is.
Pray tell, Francon ... what was the last ballistics testing seminar you went to? Speer puts on a really nice one from time to time. And while there is shooting at these seminars, they do not test the ammunition on cats.

Of course I am of the theory that getting shot with just about any caliber is gonna sting ... some a little more so than others ... but any of them will kill you. At the end of the day shot placement is much more important than caliber or type of bullet.

Now back to the OP ...

I really like my AR-15 but fortunately I have never had to try it out in battle. Closest I have gotten to any kind of stressful shooting is USPSA 3-gun. It is amazing what shortcomings a little self-induced stress will bring out.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
This thread seems to have run its course .. closing and further MBR discussions can be continued on our sister-forum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.