Magnitude 5.5 earthquake hit Southern Ontario today.

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by HarleyRider, Jun 23, 2010.

1. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

Hope all of our Canadian preppers made it through OK. How about you, NaeKid? :goodluck:

2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

He's on the other side of the country, didn't feel a thing. :)

3. Littlebit

Littlebit Well-Known Member

I was setting in my chair in the living room when it hit. My chair start rocking alittle. At first I thought it was my cat jumping on the head rest. Thats a good size for up here, but there have been other 5.0's earthquakes in the past. :D

4. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

We had one here about 4 or 5 years ago. Sounded like a rumbling crash in the distance, then it rolled through our yard, shaking the metal roofing on our hay barn. There's a train tunnel (7 miles long) about 4 miles from here as the crow flies. I thought there'd been a train wreck.

Weird all the earthquakes, small and large, in the not-usual places. Glad everyone is okay back east. Littlebit, tell your cat not to jump so hard next time! ;)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  5. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

It would take me about three days of driving to reach the epicenter of the earthquake ... very nice area, was through that zone about 2 1/2 years ago ...

6. tiedami

tiedami Well-Known Member

5.5 is really not that bad unless, do you guys have alot of brick buildings? Plus you have several different types like a jerking motion or a rolling motion that cause different types of damage. We had a 5.7 on on June 15 and i remember this dude that had his trailer pretty much right on top of the epicenter and he said he barely felt a this but it tossed him out of his recliner but no damage. I also forget but i think (correct me if im wrong anyone) for every .1 on the Richter scale the power released is something like x10...Im sure thats what is going to his southern Cal soon. Well See

7. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Some folks here in MI felt it, but I didn't this time.. Now the cats on the other hand, they flipped out- bounced off the walls for a few hours after wards even had to sleep with me which they don't do in the summer.- I was wondering what was going. Then I put on the news channel later that afternoon to see that the earthquake rolled thru our area in the afternoon about the same time the cats all flipped out! I should pay more attention to my furkids.

I am sure glad that everyone is ok up there.