Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Peckerwood
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old power unit won't start it has no fire. I don't use it for anything but I like to start it from time to time I just love to hear it run. Anyway I have the bail off of the mag and can't get the Bakelite piece out to expose the points. I'm afraid to get to rough with it.

Attachments

·
1,292 Posts

That was what we were fixing when Dad told me to put my thumb over the end of the spark plug while he checked for spark. He was not gentle, I was fluttering at the end of the spark plug wire like a flag in a full gale.
Lol now that's funny :D

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Gentle tapping around the edges with a soft hammer may help, you could also try spraying some vinegar on the joint, it dissolves rust without wrecking much

·
Internet Princess
2,809 Posts
I was going to tell you to call Xavier but that's not the Magneto I was thinking of. :D

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have very good luck with pb blaster and a propane torch for getting almost anything out or broken free. But im not sure what part you are talking about. Is is that round cap looking piece in the second pic? If so is it threaded or not?

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
More pics, please.

I have on old engine with a magneto that I converted to MSD 5

·
Registered
0 Posts
Well here is what i do for almost anything stuck, i hit it with the propane torch then spray the pb blaster to it. You can see the pb suck in. I do it 3 times before i even try to get whatever out. Keep doing till it works. If you are talking about that plastic like cap. Just hit it with as much heat as it can take then spray it. Probably have to do it a few times so dont quite after one time. But usually that method with get anything out.

·
Peckerwood
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well here is what i do for almost anything stuck, i hit it with the propane torch then spray the pb blaster to it. You can see the pb suck in. I do it 3 times before i even try to get whatever out. Keep doing till it works. If you are talking about that plastic like cap. Just hit it with as much heat as it can take then spray it. Probably have to do it a few times so dont quite after one time. But usually that method with get anything out.
Its Bakelite and is almost a 100 years old probably wont be doin much heating and beating.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I use Kroil on everything that gets stuck does a fine job on rust and lots of bench rest shooters use it to clean guns mixed 50/50 with old #9 it works great,you can read up on it here :)

http://www.kanolabs.com/

·
Registered
0 Posts
Its Bakelite and is almost a 100 years old probably wont be doin much heating and beating.
That kroil is awesome stuff too! No beating. Light prying and very little heat. Use a heat gun if you dont like the flame. You need to get it to expand or it will break. And the heat will drive the oil in.

·
Registered
0 Posts
A bakelite flywheel? Ignore my first post. This is new territory for me but here is a thought. Try obg's Kroil every day a couple of times for three or four days.

You don't want to make the flywheel hot so make the shaft cold. Get some dry ice and place it on the shaft while protecting the bakelite with some cardboard or foam.
No it is a bakelite cover/plug. Bakelite is heat resistant so even at 100 years old it will be fine. In fact if it is heated there is less of a chance of it breaking.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
the problem with heating the bakelite is that it will make it bigger and more stuck,

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
X-men movies. Xavier=good guy, Magneto=bad guy.
Shows how messed up Hollywood is Magnetos stand alone, they don't need batteries etal.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Usually you are told to heat the object that you want off because it will expand. At times I have done it opposite with good results. I have heated the shaft that the object is stuck on then cool it quickly with a spray lubricant. This expands it with heat then contracts it quickly.

Caution be aware that some lubricants such as wd40 are flammable so be ready to put out the fire if need be.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Usually you are told to heat the object that you want off because it will expand. At times I have done it opposite with good results. I have heated the shaft that the object is stuck on then cool it quickly with a spray lubricant. This expands it with heat then contracts it quickly.

Caution be aware that some lubricants such as wd40 are flammable so be ready to put out the fire if need be.
This method usually works better than trying to expand the outside part. for example if you have a broken off bolt, and can weld a nut one size smaller to it, the bolt will get hot often red the whole way, it can't really expand radially so it will expand longitudinally and when it cools the diameter will be smaller, most times allowing it to be turned out.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts