Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved my first 'CountrySide Mag today.It looks good with info on canning,farm animals,bio vs.herloom seeds.etc.

I also get Organic Gardening,but lately too much ornamental[ I'm only interersted in what I can eat,to heck with landscaping] and advertising.Mother Earth is a fairly good mag too.

We had a paperback book we bought years ago for Y2K and it is very useful for all kinds of preps " Y2KLFAMILY SURVIVAL GUIDE',by Jerry MacGregor and Kirk Charles.Paid 9.99 12 years ago for it.

Also your county extension offfice can send info on everythign from raising and caring for chickens,farm animals to growing plants,canning and soil test.

Books and mags are good to have if the grid goes down.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Catalogs are good to have .I just ordered a free catalog from 'Backwoods Solar'if I ever get enough saved up for a couple panels I'll have a couple choices to order from.

Everytime I'm about to order something else takes the money [septic pumping this month],but I still plan to have a couple panels and batteries,maybe a converter.
We have catalogs for nursery,greenhouse and garden products .Got a great deal on G-house cover from A.M.Leonards Catalog.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
don't forget GRIT, especially if you can get back issues

also pre-90s Pop Science & Pop Mechanics are much better than the dren they print now

·
Banned
399 Posts
I have a library full of books. How-to-do books on just about any thing you want to do. Books on just about every kind of domesticated animal and wild animal in the area. Books on animal feeding, raising, butchering, hunting, fishing, tracking, trapping, gardening, solar cooking and heating, lands rights.

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a library full of books. How-to-do books on just about any thing you want to do. Books on just about every kind of domesticated animal and wild animal in the area. Books on animal feeding, raising, butchering, hunting, fishing, tracking, trapping, gardening, solar cooking and heating, lands rights.
I should have known you'd be well informed and ready.:)But some of us are jus startign to get that way.

·
Banned
399 Posts
I should have known you'd be well informed and ready.:)But some of us are jus startign to get that way.
I have always done a lot of reading. Several years ago a friend of mine told me I could have all of the books I wanted from him. He buys antique books. Many times he buys books in lots. To get the one book he wants he might buy several hundred others. Until I began to have problems with where to put them I would make a trip over each week to pick up books.
The ones I didn't want he donated. Now I don't have any more room for books but I do have quite a bit of choice if I decide to read.

For about 15 years I worked night shift. I could do 8 hours of work in about40 minutes. The rest of the shift I did research on the computer. In 15 years, 7 hours a day, 6 days a week, you can do a lot of research.

·
178 Posts
One of the best magazines I've ever subscribed to is Backwoods Home Magazine.

Packed full of all kinds of information on self-reliance. Their July/August has info on storing and using wheat; blueberry cash crop; low cost of beef; survival storeroom, and buying a backhoe.

There is a great article on 'Wash Day," by Jackie Clay, who knows just about everything on maintaining a homestead.

Continuous information on firearms as well. More of this month's articles are: brew your own rootbeer; all about bell peppers; Grandma's soup from your garden; conquer hornworms; all about brown rice; and fixing kebabs...one great little magazine. I love mine...every month contains some great article; with a wonderful Q & A section by Jackie Clay.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Jackie Clay is an awesome woman. Everything she writes is worth reading. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.