Machetes

Discussion in 'Equipment & Survival Kits' started by crosscanadian, Dec 29, 2008.

1. crosscanadian

crosscanadian Guest

Where can I get me a nice working machete? I'm not sure where to go to pick one up. Also, before I go out, does anybody know about how much the run cost wise?

Thanks a bunch!

2. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

Plunk down the 25$ for a USGI model,you won't regret it.

Army/navy surplus stores have them aplenty!

Damn,just noticed you're Canadian.I still might be able to help however.get a ghurka Khurki,they forge them out of leaf springs and they'll do what a hatchet does,about the same price range but you might have to get one online.

Got any speciffic questions,PM me. :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008

3. 73CJMan

73CJMan Guest

Gerber makes one that has an odd but comfortable grip. I got mine after playing with one owned by of the guys we go Jeeping with. His was REALLY comfortable compared to the old military one I use when working for the state!
    I got one from wall-mart and it bent then fell apart almost immediately, but it was only like $7

4. ke4sky

ke4sky ke4sky

Bush knife vs. machete

This link has general historical info and they also sell a variety of models in various price ranges. Machetes

In the jungle a simple Collins machete which can be hand sharpened with a common file is serviceable and inexpensive. Edge holding ability and agility for fine work is limited, but this is mitigated by also carrying a good quality folding multi-tool and a sturdy fixed blade of 4-5 inches for precise work. More expensive, but versatile in temperate climates is a sturdy 12-inch bush knife such as the Cold Steel Trailmaster, teamed with a good multi-tool.

5. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

6. codger

codger Guest

I would try academy for machetes... they seem a bit more involved with the camping stuff than wally world

7. EvilTOJ

EvilTOJ O_o

I bought a double edged machete from coldsteel.com for $25, I'm quite happy with it.

8. mrboma

mrboma Member

Kukri

ColdSteel all the way. I just picked up 2 Kukri's for 32.00 delivered!
    You just cant go wrong.
    Regards,
    Mike

9. RossA

RossA Active Member

Just saw this thread. So the Gerber machete fell apart with minor use? Was it the one with the sawteeth on the back? Been thinking about getting one of those. The Gerbers that I'm thinking about are closer to $20 than $7.

10. EvilTOJ

EvilTOJ O_o

No, it sounds like he bought two machetes, the Gerber one, and the Walmart Special. The Walmart Special is the one the fell apart.

11. ke4sky

ke4sky ke4sky

Parang

This is a modern version of the Phillipine parang, an old, well proven design which is common throughout Southeast Asia, widely used in Vietnam. In U.S. service its general pattern was used on the bolo bayonet for the Krag rifle and for the U.S.Army Hospital Corps and Marine Raider knives of WWII. The original purpose of hospital corps knives was to cut poles to build litters for casualties.

12. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

The Ka-bar Cutlas is a great tool. I got mine for around $55.00 (actual price was 44.00 but the shipping was close to $11).

13. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Do you remember where you bought it at? Online?

14. BigDaddyO

BigDaddyO New Member

About 12 years ago some buddies and I cleared out some paths through a swamp to play paintball. We started with Machettes from a local Army Surplus store. they were super tough but they were heavy and thick. After 1 day of using them we shelved them. We went to a Sears Hardware store and they had something called Corn Knifes. similar to a Machette but a much thinner blade and a square end. they cut through saplings and anything else very easily. After about two weeks of very hard work and lots of blisters, the blades started to crack. But if you aren't going to use them too hard they are a lot easier on the arm.

15. RossA

RossA Active Member

I always thought that these were cool looking machetes, and cheap at only $8.50 (without sheath). With the pointed end, they could double as a weapon. I think the description on the webpage must be off, though. It says that the blade is 1/16" thick. I don't think it could possibly be that thin, could it?

Wood Handled Bush Knife - GarrettWade

16. bassman

bassman Active Member

I like a tool called the Sportman's Pal. It's ruggard and has a nice comforable grip. Sorry I don't have the address for you, but if you Google Sportman's Pal I think the website will com up!

17. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

I bought it off of a site called Bonanzle.

18. bassman

bassman Active Member

Hey CC, I made a mistake yesterday, the tool is called woodman's pal, www.woodman'spal.com I just went to their site and the tool is about $85.00 but it will last you a lifetime if you take care of it. I broke the handle on mine only because I tried to modifie it, (long story)! I will be replacing it as soon as I have some extra money! The tool is easily sharpened with just a Mill file and holds an edge a long time! Hope this is some help to you.

19. RedRocker

RedRocker Active Member

20. Largecar

Largecar Guest

In the 90's while still trucking I bought my wife a machete with handle much like a baseball bat. It came in a leather sheath and was/is the sharpest blade in our house. I think I paid around 40.00 for it in New Mexico somewhere. I looked at one at Wally world today and it was only7.88 but was cheaply made.