Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an old M37 a few years back and I'm going through it to make it as modern as is possible without sacrificing what made the beast, well a beast. This is the original hummer.

It is currently in pieces as I do the frame off and upgrades to include a 318 (want to get a 4BT Deisel into it), NV4500 5 speed, NP200 xfr case (Ultimately upgrade to NP205) disc brakes, power steering, dual battery (not sure if I'm staying 24v or going 12v).

This beast is geared at 5:81 as it will turn big tires on the dodge corporate axles (1 ton). It weighs in at 6500 lbs w/o the winch and the sheet metal guage is unbeleivable. I could put in a .50 mount in the bed but I don't where to get the real deal!

I plan to keep it olive drab with the original stenciling so I can use it for parades to honor the veterans etc...

Todd in Placerville

·
Registered
13 Posts
Please see inline comments in bold:
I picked up an old M37 a few years back and I'm going through it to make it as modern as is possible without sacrificing what made the beast, well a beast. This is the original hummer.

It is currently in pieces as I do the frame off and upgrades to include a 318 (want to get a 4BT Deisel into it), You might want to reconsider this. There are enough differences between a 318 (5.2L) and the 4B of any series (4b, 4BT, 4BTA, 4BTAA) that you will be doing 2 swaps-not one. NV4500 5 speed, NP200 xfr case NP200-Sorry-no such thing as a NP200 for parts anymore. Did you mean mean NVG231? (Ultimately upgrade to NP205) disc brakes Not with the original axles and not "cheeply". You would be better off going to Dynatrac or Currie and get a set or axles that parts are more available for., power steering, dual battery (not sure if I'm staying 24v or going 12v) Unless you have a specific need for 24VDC, convert all to 12VDC. As an example why, go to your local parts store (like NAPA or other) and try to find a 24VDC headlamp bulb for the M37.

This beast is geared at 5:81 as it will turn big tires on the dodge corporate axles (1 ton) Stock, the M37 had Dana built axles, NOT Chrysler civilian axles. It weighs in at 6500 lbs w/o the winch and the sheet metal guage is unbeleivable. I could put in a .50 mount in the bed but I don't where to get the real deal!

I plan to keep it olive drab with the original stenciling so I can use it for parades to honor the veterans etc...

Todd in Placerville
As another option, you might look for one that has already been converted to the Detroit Diesel 3-53 inline diesel-if you can find one (try Eastern Equipment, Boyce, or other parts house for surplus milspec equipment) you would have most of the newer donor parts for them.

Also, you might check the steelsoldiers.com website....

Best regards,

BobS

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sierra
I drove one of those in the Air Force, while stationed in Mobile Alabama, man what a tank, that vehicle would go anywhere, it would knock over three inch trees at 30 mph all day and not even dent the bumper.
Great choice
thanks for bringing back the memory.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, been a while since I was here. How about an update.

I acquired another M37 for parts on the cheap. Had a freshly rebuilt stock motor mated to the stock tranny plus it had the oem PTO winch. Migrated the drive train and winch. Since this last post from four years ago, I have made good progress.

Frame blasted and painted
Springs rearched
4 wheel disc brakes, brake lines, MC , pro portioning valve installed.
New shocks
All new fuel lines
Front knuckles rebuilt, new bearings and seals.
Spliced existing 12v harness to new power plant.
It runs.

So the frame off is now a new looking clean frame brought to modern standards.
I haven't done sqaut to the body other than a complete disassembly.
I'd prefer to dip the parts, yes there is a guy in CA that is licensed to do this, but money has been tight the past few so I have the cab and fenders sitting on the nice shiny frame but the bed won't go back together until I can do it right.
I'll post pictures. Cheers.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Would love to see some updated pictures!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BO Jeep First

Still Looking for pictures of my M37 - I know they are on one of my laptops or hard drives floating around here somewhere! This is the primary BOV. Will go just about anywhere I might need to. Secondary is a 4X4 Durango as the hauler. Jeep is the scout or get out vehicle. Third is the Ford Escape 4x4 for more hauling. All three can trailer.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
M37 - Donor Truck and OD Body

Background Grey M is the donor truck that I took the drive train and PTO winch out off.

In the trailer is the OD body of the M37 under restoration

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ready for the Blaster

Completely disassembled and ready for the blaster and paint. Those are the rotors on the disc brake conversion. Uses 3/4 ton Chevy rotors and calipers.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fresh Frame

Lookin' good. the frames were black from the factory and other than upgrading safety and electrical, want to keep as stock as possible. Can't tell you how pleasant it was to NOT have to work with 60 years of road tar and multiple motor pool paint jobs on this thing anymore!

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Front Knuckles Rebuilt

These things have what's called a Tracta Joint in the steering knuckle. Looks' like a simplified version of a Rubik's Cube. Cork and felt seals on the outer flanges. All NOS parts as they are readily available.

It looks really beefy now with those 3/4 ton disc brakes mounted up.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Stock Chrysler 223

This is a crate rebuild picture of the stock motor as it would've looked from the factory. This is NOT my donor motor unfortunately. Mine does have good compression though as the kid I bought it from rebuilt it as his high school shop project and didn't drive it much after that.

This one has been modified to accommodate power steering but still has the generator, water proof disti and wires and mounts. They were painted silver at the factory so not truly to spec but they look good in OD with Cad plated bolts as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Crate Rebuild another view

Another View. Carb sits on top of that elbow. The M37 also had a deep water fording kit. Intake ran a tube from carb out the fender and up the passenger side window pillar. Exhaust has a 90 degree bend and extension with a stack that's about 8' tall.

The fording specs on these beasts were 5' deep water. That's damned deep if you've ever forded anything in a wheeler. The M37 weighs in at just over 7,000 pounds with the LU4 PTO winch. Not gonna get swept away very easily. At 5' deep, your sitting in the river inside the cab basically.

The engine cranks out a whopping 92 horse power, but it's the torque you want in these things anyway and stock gearing is 5.83 in the pumpkins. Not going to go much more than 45-50, downhill, wind at your back, but it will break through and run up and over just about anything that get's in it's way. This is the definition of keep on truckin'

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Split Rims

Split Rims that are stock. a.k.a Widow Makers but not as bad as the semi split rim's. They use tubes and if you need to replace a tire in the field, you don't need any special tools, just common sense.

When you air up, face the ring down, chain it and slowly air up. Very practical.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Braden LU4 Winch Parts/Exploded Diagram

I got the winch with the donor truck and was really after the drive train. Got the whole shooting match for $1,200 and the winch alone is worth $1,500, if you can find one.

Attachments

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Very nice - thanks for all the updates!!! :2thumb:

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
Way to go Sierra, keep us up to date on the project. I love it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts