Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a whole house standby unit. 9K minimum, 12K max. Not interested in anything chinese. Diesel, LP, gasoline - in that order. Based on relatives short lived Generac, I'd like to avoid that brand. I have an older (80's) 12K Empire with a Perkins diesel. No issues with it except it is not auto start. I have to go out to the shed and start it. Generally when we lose power it is during a wind storm or snow storm. Going out to the shed in a snow storm requires opening the door twice and putting a chill in the house. If the wind is over 70 mph, I don't go out unless a life depends on it. The wind storm last month was 124 mph and NO WAY was I going out in it to get a genny started. I realize an auto start will negate the EMP proof system that I have now, but we all have to make trade offs.
What units do you recommend??

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
A couple of Goalzeros, trickle charged by solar panels, has worked well for my buddy who is maintaining our BOL.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm looking for a whole house standby unit. 9K minimum, 12K max. Not interested in anything chinese. Diesel, LP, gasoline - in that order. Based on relatives short lived Generac, I'd like to avoid that brand. I have an older (80's) 12K Empire with a Perkins diesel. No issues with it except it is not auto start. I have to go out to the shed and start it. Generally when we lose power it is during a wind storm or snow storm. Going out to the shed in a snow storm requires opening the door twice and putting a chill in the house. If the wind is over 70 mph, I don't go out unless a life depends on it. The wind storm last month was 124 mph and NO WAY was I going out in it to get a genny started. I realize an auto start will negate the EMP proof system that I have now, but we all have to make trade offs.
What units do you recommend??
You can do what I did with my onan. I ran the key and starter button into the house . Had a friend put a relay on start button at gen to prevent over load. A remote starter kit might work ,I had to pay someone to do that part . It works JUST fine put it in a tube of some sort. don't leave the key on or (dead Battery). Beats running out in my BVDs in the winter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts