Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Photographer
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About $35 or less, but able to open the large Bumble Bee cans of tuna.
those cans are shaped like their regular ones, but hold 66 ozs and weigh about 4 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
My better half swears by her Pampered Chef can opener because it cuts the side of the crimp instead of the lid. That means there are no sharp edges and the cutter wheel never contacts (or contaminates) the contents of the can, so there is no chance of food poisoning or cross contamination.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Thanks Genevieve! I'm going to check into one of those.. they have really nice ones at Amazon..
Right now I have a nice one that I've had for about 3 years and it is just the $3 one from walmart!:eek: I had the cheaper all metal one and my daughter took it when she moved out so hubby told me to pick another one up at Wally world and they had the little one dollar all metal one but the bigger one which is mostly metal too (well the parts that are important) but has much bigger grip/handles and a bigger "key" that you turn to open cans with... with my hands starting to bother me more and more as the years go on I decided that I would go for the $3 one and see if I liked it... All the others that have the bigger handles and key(I think they were OXO and kitchen aid) looks really nice but were closer to $15 each.
It works so well that I went and picked up another one for our camper. I may go and pick up a couple more just for spares(or barter..)

·
Photographer
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions.

I am only afraid of the thickness of the metal, diameter, and weight (4.x lbs) of the can. My new electric "heavy duty" just drops it after about an 1/8 of an inch.

I will check on both of those devices.

Michael

·
Militia Supply Commander
6 Posts
Can Opener

Try a military issue P38 or P51 can opener. They are simple and easy to use and cheap. The P38 is the smaller one designed for regular cans. The P51 is the larger and designed for #10 cans. If you can't find a source for them, contact me. We keep them in stock in our store all the time.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Try a military issue P38 or P51 can opener. They are simple and easy to use and cheap. The P38 is the smaller one designed for regular cans. The P51 is the larger and designed for #10 cans. If you can't find a source for them, contact me. We keep them in stock in our store all the time.
Already have them and they are a PITA to use if you have arthritis in your hands. sure they work but a cheap manual one is better to use than one of those P38's.. The P51 is a bit better but not much.

·
Photographer
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up getting an Oxo, side cutting can opener and it did open the large can ok. Time will tell if the mechanics hold up.

The swing away's are all now made in China, as is the Oxo (we have a REAL PROBLEM with our manufacturing), and the badder reviews said the mechanics were flimsy and no where near what was made in America for the original can openers.

I had to try something fast, as I had partially opened the tuna and it was sitting in my frig.

·
Photographer
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Emerald for the info on the military can openers.
I actually carried those back in the days of my Marine Corps service.

For that large tuna can, they would be very difficult to use.
It's not that the can is tall. It isn't. It's squat, and weighs 4.x lbs.

So far my oxo manual one worked. I will have to see how long the mechanism holds up. It is also a China product.

·
Photographer
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am going to use the Oxo for now. They restaurant suppliers did have a really heavy duty opener, but they were bolted to the edge of a worktable and had a height adjustable vertical piece and a large hand crank. I think those were very expensive.

Thanks for the info.

Michael

·
Default Member Title Here
83 Posts
P38!!! That's what I was going to suggest.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I have a couple of hand-crank can-openers that are fairly heavy-duty - I haven't found a can that I couldn't open with them. I have purchased mine from the local CanadianTire - kind of expensive (when compared with DollarStore crap) but they have lasted years!

Like Genevieve suggested - wash the things and they will give you years of good clean service. I do all my dishes by hand (no dishwasher for me), so, when I am washing my cooking implements (flippers, whisk, spoons, chop-sticks, tongs, etc) I also wash my can-opener, if it was used that day.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Thanks, Nae.

Thanks for the good info.
We also wash certain implements by hand.
I know that you probably already know this but we take our old toothbrushes(the ones that are getting worn) I steam them and then we use them for cleaning around the house.. there are two in a cup by the kitchen sink and they work wonders for cleaning the can opener.. I kinda prefer the hand cranked can openers as they are sooooooo much easier to keep clean.
I also keep a pump aerosol oil sprayer in the kitchen (think "Pam" but with your favorite oil) and I spray the can opener every so often lightly to keep any rust away. still food safe.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.