Looking for Heavy Duty Can Opener

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by MichaelDMiller, Aug 23, 2011.

1. MichaelDMiller

MichaelDMiller Photographer

About $35 or less, but able to open the large Bumble Bee cans of tuna.
    those cans are shaped like their regular ones, but hold 66 ozs and weigh about 4 lbs.

Attached Files:

2. Genevieve

Genevieve I'm done - gone

Just buy a Swing Away hun. Got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond. Was under $10. Heavy duty, opens everything and in an emergency you can beat somebody with it it's so heavy! LOL

Swing-A-Way Can Opener - Bed Bath & Beyond

3. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

My better half swears by her Pampered Chef can opener because it cuts the side of the crimp instead of the lid. That means there are no sharp edges and the cutter wheel never contacts (or contaminates) the contents of the can, so there is no chance of food poisoning or cross contamination.

4. Genevieve

Genevieve I'm done - gone

yea well, that happens because people are too lazy to clean the darn thing. lol warm soapy water and an old toothbrush, rinse.dry,done. geesh, you'd think it was rocket science lol

5. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Thanks Genevieve! I'm going to check into one of those.. they have really nice ones at Amazon..
    Right now I have a nice one that I've had for about 3 years and it is just the $3 one from walmart!:eek: I had the cheaper all metal one and my daughter took it when she moved out so hubby told me to pick another one up at Wally world and they had the little one dollar all metal one but the bigger one which is mostly metal too (well the parts that are important) but has much bigger grip/handles and a bigger "key" that you turn to open cans with... with my hands starting to bother me more and more as the years go on I decided that I would go for the $3 one and see if I liked it... All the others that have the bigger handles and key(I think they were OXO and kitchen aid) looks really nice but were closer to $15 each.
    It works so well that I went and picked up another one for our camper. I may go and pick up a couple more just for spares(or barter..)

6. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

buy a swing-a-way, they'll open anything

7. MichaelDMiller

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I am only afraid of the thickness of the metal, diameter, and weight (4.x lbs) of the can. My new electric "heavy duty" just drops it after about an 1/8 of an inch.

I will check on both of those devices.

Michael

8. MichaelDMiller

I happen to be a strict Constitutionalist, particularly in all matters of the 2nd Amendment.
    I will send out Cicero's quote to everyone on my list.

9. commander

commander Militia Supply Commander

Can Opener

Try a military issue P38 or P51 can opener. They are simple and easy to use and cheap. The P38 is the smaller one designed for regular cans. The P51 is the larger and designed for #10 cans. If you can't find a source for them, contact me. We keep them in stock in our store all the time.

10. Emerald

Already have them and they are a PITA to use if you have arthritis in your hands. sure they work but a cheap manual one is better to use than one of those P38's.. The P51 is a bit better but not much.

11. MichaelDMiller

I ended up getting an Oxo, side cutting can opener and it did open the large can ok. Time will tell if the mechanics hold up.

The swing away's are all now made in China, as is the Oxo (we have a REAL PROBLEM with our manufacturing), and the badder reviews said the mechanics were flimsy and no where near what was made in America for the original can openers.

I had to try something fast, as I had partially opened the tuna and it was sitting in my frig.

12. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

I didn't know that - thanks for the heads-up.

13. MichaelDMiller

Thanks Emerald for the info on the military can openers.
    I actually carried those back in the days of my Marine Corps service.

For that large tuna can, they would be very difficult to use.
    It's not that the can is tall. It isn't. It's squat, and weighs 4.x lbs.

So far my oxo manual one worked. I will have to see how long the mechanism holds up. It is also a China product.

14. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

If you want a manual opener,yellow pages the local restaurant supply,they sell those that open 8" cans!:D

15. MichaelDMiller

I am going to use the Oxo for now. They restaurant suppliers did have a really heavy duty opener, but they were bolted to the edge of a worktable and had a height adjustable vertical piece and a large hand crank. I think those were very expensive.

Thanks for the info.

Michael

16. Beanie

Beanie Default Member Title Here

P38!!! That's what I was going to suggest.

17. pinqlady57

pinqlady57 Member

restaurant supply and gander mountain had one online a couple months ago opens gallons also

18. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I have a couple of hand-crank can-openers that are fairly heavy-duty - I haven't found a can that I couldn't open with them. I have purchased mine from the local CanadianTire - kind of expensive (when compared with DollarStore crap) but they have lasted years!

Like Genevieve suggested - wash the things and they will give you years of good clean service. I do all my dishes by hand (no dishwasher for me), so, when I am washing my cooking implements (flippers, whisk, spoons, chop-sticks, tongs, etc) I also wash my can-opener, if it was used that day.

19. MichaelDMiller

Thanks, Nae.

Thanks for the good info.
    We also wash certain implements by hand.

20. Emerald

I know that you probably already know this but we take our old toothbrushes(the ones that are getting worn) I steam them and then we use them for cleaning around the house.. there are two in a cup by the kitchen sink and they work wonders for cleaning the can opener.. I kinda prefer the hand cranked can openers as they are sooooooo much easier to keep clean.
    I also keep a pump aerosol oil sprayer in the kitchen (think "Pam" but with your favorite oil) and I spray the can opener every so often lightly to keep any rust away. still food safe.