looking for book recommendations...

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by goshengirl, Mar 16, 2011.

1. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

There are some prepping subjects that aren't covered at the library (or aren't covered well). I have lengthy wishlists for books from Amazon, but these days I need to really be frugal about purchases. So I'd love to hear of any book recommendations you might have regarding:

rainwater catchment (not for greywater or landscaping but for potable systems)
    cooking/recipes - prepper style (food storage items, especially beans)

I'd also love to know what books you think are good for one reading, and what books you constantly use and dogear. ;)

Just wanting to get my ducks in a row..... thanks!

2. Lake Windsong

Lake Windsong Well-Known Member

Anything by Peggy Layton (my favorite is Cookin' with Home Storage) or Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living will be read over and over. Another really good one is Year Supply by Barry Crockett. I can't tell you how much that one helped me when getting started. Lost it in a flood :gaah: but you can still find used copies online.

3. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

you're reading the best book there is right here for free, just do a search and have your printer ready.when you get all the info you want or need, then you can check it out elsewhere and there is a lot of pictures,how tos' and info on U-Tube

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  4. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I second Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living. :D

5. Lake Windsong

Lake Windsong Well-Known Member

6. goodoleboy8205

goodoleboy8205 Member

My vote goes to the foxfire books.

7. vn6869

vn6869 Afraid, very afraid

Agree on foxfire books, but OP was trying to avoid purchasing books.

My suggestion - for free reading info - go to your local FEMA or county disaster office, they will be more than glad to give you all sorts of material. At least they were when I went there (think they were happy to see someone was really interested.).

8. Centraltn

Centraltn Well-Known Member

Look for a book written by James Wesley, Rawles. It is the most comprhensive book. It is slam oacked with important knowledge and duggestions. Its an extremely easy read, relaively short and covers almost everything The title escapes me but its something like prepare(or survive) for the end of the earth as we know it. Gis book is my preparing bible. I have it lent out right now Its Green I HIGHLT recommend it

9. goshengirl

Thanks for the recommendations!

Here's my thinking on book/info resources: Our time is running short in getting stuff together, so I want to get organized about gathering information for the home library. There are four types of resources I'm looking to compile:
    1. Books to purchase - these are books that get referred to again and again. The must haves.
    2. Books from the library - these are books that have some interesting info that can be photocopied, but do not need to be purchased. (Books with tons of good info move up to the purchase category.)
    3. Online resources - this is a matter of printing off stuff, like from this site.
    4. Pamphlets - this is usually government agency material, but could be any pamphlet.

Material from photocopies, computer print-outs, and pamphlets all gets sorted and organized into 3-ring binders.

I've pretty much checked into all library books from the two county library systems to which I have access. So now (as far as books are concerned) I'm down to seeing interesting books on Amazon, but not knowing if they are worth buying. And since I can't buy a whole lot, I appreciate any and all recommendations.

Thanks for helping out with my 'informational nesting' instict. ;)

10. BillM

BillM BillM

The Creature from Jecklle Island

The Creature from Jecklle Island, This is a book that explains Centeral Banking , The IMF and the FED. If you read this book it will give you an understanding of wealth , money and where it comes from and where it is going.

;)

11. goshengirl

Thanks! I haven't heard of that one - I'll have to check it out. Can't have too many economics books!

This past week at a big homeschool convention I was able to pick up some von Mises and Rothbard books for a steal! :)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  12. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Not what you asked for but I find them useful.
    Seed to Seed by Susan Ashworth-all about how to save pure seed from your heirloom and open pollinated veggies.
    The Four Season Harvest by Elliot Coleman-how to use cold frames and hoop houses or even green houses and cold frames together to keep plants grown in late summer and early fall available for fresh eating all winter long. I have borrowed this from the library so many times that if I had save the gas money that I spent I probably could have bought it already!:eek:

All of the books by Jean Auel of her Earth's children series. Clan of the Cave bear, Valley of the Horses, Mammoth Hunters, Plains of Passage, Shelters of Stone and her soon to come out Land of the Painted Caves.
    They are just fiction but the fact that she learned all of the ways that they lived and the way she writes you can actually learn to do many of the survival skills that these early people would have learned from early on. Plus you do need to have something good to read after the TV goes out forever don't ya.. :D

13. goshengirl

Emerald, that's exactly the recommendation I'm looking for. ;)

I have Seed to Seed (just arrived, haven't looked through it much yet) - I got it because of your recommendations for it on other threads, and I already had it in my wish list on Amazon. But that's the kind of resource that I'm sure we could all use when TSHTF. Four Season Harvest I'm going to have to check out. And thanks for the reminder about the Clan of the Cave Bear series - years ago (decades?) I read them and loved them - they would be excellent to read again. :)

14. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

I have to say that I have not only the hardcover set, but the paper backs as well and have read and reread them probably 6 or 7 times total. But they are just so good! Her next one is gonna come out soon and I just can't wait!
    Her studies into the ice ages and how folks lived back then are just so complete and her writing style is very descriptive and I have even started a few fires when I was younger by following her description of how they did it.