Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wonder what people have in their collection that they consider good survival movies with true real-life scenarios that the average person would be able to mimic outside of the "Hollywoodified" hero movies.

One that comes to mind is 28 Days Later... (2002). If you haven't seen the movies, basically average people try to find a place to live where they are not attacked by the rage-induced zombies.

In it, I see bad planning for a Bug Out Situation - but - they make away anyway.

In it, I see the problems with trying to find fuel to drive and food to eat.

In it, I see the problems with children, elderly and those who do nothing more than freak out.

I feel that I can learn some of the basics of survival from movies like those .. its been a while since I watched them - might just watch again tonight while waiting for the fireworks to start the end of the Canada Day Celebrations.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Panic In Year Zero is one of the best.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It somewhat depends on what kind of survival you're talking about and what type of scenarios you foresee. Some of my favorites, in no particular order are:

Alive-real life survival after a plane crash in the Andes
Into the Wild-real life...and death because of a laundry list of mistakes
Red Dawn-a longshot for happening, but entertaining and some interesting concepts
The Edge-great wilderness movie with a few interesting ideas
Shackleton-unbelievable true story of survival about the Endurance expedition
Blue Steel-not a survival movie, but some interesting themes relating to the psychological stress of being involved in a shooting, even if justified

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
There's a new one coming out called 2012.

It seems in movies no matter how big the problem is Bruce Willis can solve it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
A couple more I had to look up. Fine as entertainment, not a lot of useable info. But both illustrate the fears of the time concerning Nuke war.

"Day The World Ended" (1955)
"Year 2889" (1967)

"Year 2889" is a remake of "Day The World Ended" made in '55. Different actors, but very similar story line. I think it is a TV movie based on the original.

And another vote for "Red Dawn"

·
Rockhead5
1 Posts
Alone in the Wildnerness

Story of Richard Pronnecke who moved into the Alaska wilds at age 52, built his own cabin and lived until 82.....

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Panic in Year Zero! (1962) - 1962 - While on a fishing trip, Harry Baldwin (Ray Milland) and his family hear an explosion and realize that Los Angeles has been leveled by a nuclear attack. Looters and killers are everywhere. Escaping to the hills with his family, he sets about the business of surviving in a world where, he knows, the old ideals of humanity will be first casualties. Not one to give up, he holds up a store for supplies and hides the family in a cave.

Don't know if I will be able to find that one on DVD or BluRay ..

Red Dawn (1984) - 1984 - It is the mid-1980s. From out of the sky, Soviet & Cuban troops begin landing on the football field of a Colorado high school. In seconds, the paratroops have attacked the school & sent a group of teenagers fleeing into the mountains. Armed only with hunting rifles, pistols & bows and arrows, the teens struggles to survive the bitter winter & Soviet KGB patrols hunting for them. Eventually trouble arises when they kill a group of Soviet soldiers on patrol in the highlands. Soon, they will wage their own guerrilla warfare against the invading Soviet troops....under the banner of 'Woverines'!

I have watched this one many years ago - might have to watch it again ..

The Edge (1997) - 1997 - Billionaire Charles Morse accompanies his supermodel wife Mickey to photo shoot at Alaska. The shoot is to be made by fashion photographer Robert Green. To find specific Indian for the shoot, they fly to even more distant location, where their small plane crashes into a lake. To survive in the woods full of man-killing bears they need each other, but the smarter of the men - Charles is suspicious that Robert is having an affair with his wife.

Watched this movie many times. It was filmed "in my backyard" and that fancy knife in the movie was made by my blade-smithing instructor

Alive (1993) - 1993 - The amazing, true story of a Uruguayan rugby team's plane that crashed in the middle of the Andes mountains, and their immense will to survive and pull through alive, forced to do anything and everything they could to stay alive on meager rations and through the freezing cold. The only thing the team has riding on after losing so many of their good friends and family members is the slim chance of making it through alive and their faithfulness to God.

Will have to look this one up ..

Anyone else have movies in their collection that they would love to point me towards?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I totally forgot about tom hanks in Castaway. Some good points come up regarding maintaining mental health if isolated and of course, dental care in an emergency.

Not a survival movie per se, but Blackhawk Down remains a favorite of mine. Shows you just how difficult survival can be in combat in an urban environment, even with the best equipped military in the world.

·
Partyin' like it's 1699
216 Posts
There's a new one coming out called 2012.

It seems in movies no matter how big the problem is Bruce Willis can solve it.
mmmm Bruce Willis ;)

I've never seen the movie that was made, but a book I read years ago called My Side Of The Mountain by Jean Craighead George was excellent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Earthling (1980) - Patrick Foley has been on the move all his live. Tired of drifting, he wants to spend his last days in an isolated Australian valley where he grew up. On his difficult journey he meets Shawn, a little desperate city-boy whose parents were killed in an accident in this remote inhospitable territory. Being unable to accompany the boy back to the civilized world he reluctantly takes him with him on his trip to that valley and teaches him in a rugged way how to survive

Deliverance (1972) - Intent on seeing the Cahulawassee River before it's turned into one huge lake, outdoor fanatic Lewis Medlock takes his friends on a river-rafting trip they'll never forget into the dangerous American back-country.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One more...

Jerimiah Johnson (1972) - An American soldier goes west to escape the Mexican War and becomes a mountain man. He is taken in by an old trapper who teaches him how to survive.

·
Partyin' like it's 1699
216 Posts
The Earthling (1980) - Patrick Foley has been on the move all his live. Tired of drifting, he wants to spend his last days in an isolated Australian valley where he grew up. On his difficult journey he meets Shawn, a little desperate city-boy whose parents were killed in an accident in this remote inhospitable territory. Being unable to accompany the boy back to the civilized world he reluctantly takes him with him on his trip to that valley and teaches him in a rugged way how to survive

Deliverance (1972) - Intent on seeing the Cahulawassee River before it's turned into one huge lake, outdoor fanatic Lewis Medlock takes his friends on a river-rafting trip they'll never forget into the dangerous American back-country.

THANK YOU for mentioning this!!! I saw the last half of it while I was at my dad's one time and I could never remember the name of the film. This was an excellent movie!

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Waterborne (2005) - 2005 - The lives of all Californians are turned upside down when one morning eight people are dead after drinking contaminated tap water. The State goes on alert, with troopers and the police stepping up to ensure that the culprits (Al Qaeda?) are caught. But then the locals have to contend with the instructions: Not to be in contact with tap water for 72 hours. That means no one can wash their face, hands, feet, shower, shave nor drink water - the life saving ingredient that has been taken so much for granted.

Just about forgot about this one - just re-watched it tonight. It shows what kinds of levels humanity could reach when water is no longer easily available

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
If you're talking comedy, check out Without A Paddle. Seth Green, Dax Sheppard, and 2 other guys are childhood friends who dream of finding D.B. Cooper's lost money. One dies unexpectedly at the age of 30 and the others reunite for the funeral. Here the one who died mapped out where the loot has to be so the 3 remaining guys go into the Pacific Northwest woods in search of it. They encounter hippie chicks, pot farmers, local yokel law enforcement, dogs named Lynyrd and Skynyrd, and a bunch of other characters. Great flick! :2thumb:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Definance... I think it just hit the video store. Great film!! wilderness survival skills with an ever growing community. How the community was structured and various jobs and skills that were needed while working and living in hiding somewhere in the forrest. Based on a true story of WWII survivors.

What.. NO ONE LISTED FIRST BLOOD OR BAMBO?!?!? hahahahaahaha I thought john rambo was the first survival guy ;-)

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am actually looking for more of a realistic movie - a movie that could be real instead of just a "Hollywood" flick to entertain the masses.

·
Waynemart
29 Posts
Panic In Year Zero is one of the best.
I agree with this one being the all time best. It was way ahead of it's time. Ray Milland and Frankie Avalon appeared in it in 1962. It was a senereo of what people would do if there was a break down in law-and-order after a nuclear attack. It deplicts how people will turn on their neighbors for food and not trust anyone but their immediate family. Compassion will be rare and gangs will rule. It was way ahead of its time and I firmly believe it is exactly what will happen should anything cause a disruption with the ever so fragile American food cycle.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts