Prepared Society Forum banner

Log Cabins

7K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  The_Blob 
#1 ·
Is it possible for a single person to build their own log cabin? It seems like once the logs reach a certain height on the wall how would the person get them up there without a rope, some angled pieces of wood, and a horse?

#5 ·
I'm sure it's possible, but 2 people could do it 4 times faster. Find a friend and trade work. He helps you build a cabin and you help him do a project or do a project for him. A friend of mine from church got 15-20 people to come over and we erected the shell of his future home in 2-3 days. (corrogated metal) He is still framing, plumbing and wiring the inside.

#6 ·
Of course you can!!! :)

Hi everyone,

I just joined the forum today, what a great place! Yes you absolutely CAN build a log home all by your lonesome. I've taken 2 classes in Canada on how to hand-build one from the ground up and have 10 years experience in the log home industry. First off, you are MUCH better off doing it from scratch as opposed to a kit, not to mention WAAAAAY cheaper. It's possible to build a nice-sized log home from scratch (assuming you have construction skills) for as little as 10k if you know where to look for supplies, tools, etc. I plan on building mine and have a budget of 30k for the entire house which will be 2300 sq ft total living space....and I'm a girl...lol :)
The trick is to think backwards....they did most everything with hand tools in the 17 & 1800's and built cabins that still stand today, so if you use some really simple and old-school methods to erect the shell you can get it done with just one person.....though I agree with the earlier post that two is a LOT easier and faster!!! LOL

In this case, if you take the time to learn some things, shop in the right places, and have decent skills, the sky's the limit! :)

Hope this helps. :)

#7 ·
I've never built a log home. However, when it comes to construction projects of all types at least one extra pair of hands works wonders. Is there a reason why you want to build it by yourself? If you can get some friends or family to help it would make it much easier.

#8 ·
There is also all kinds of log cabin simple plans on the internet to even in some magazines that you can find. I also have the book the Foxfire Book which is a group of students that recorded traditional folk culture of the Southern Appalachians. In this book you have also how to build a log cabin. Remember they did everything by hand using only hand tools!

#9 ·
I'm sure it's possible, but 2 people could do it 4 times faster. Find a friend and trade work. He helps you build a cabin and you help him do a project or do a project for him. A friend of mine from church got 15-20 people to come over and we erected the shell of his future home in 2-3 days. (corrogated metal) He is still framing, plumbing and wiring the inside.
if you didn't do any framing, WHAT did you attach the corrugated to? :confused: :eek: :D ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.