listerorid

Discussion in 'Energy & Electricity' started by bahaboyga, Nov 16, 2008.

1. bahaboyga

bahaboyga Member

2. kompressor

kompressor Guest

How long can a Lister run for?

3. 5artist5

5artist5 Member

Those are pretty cool!
    They remind me of the old "Hit and Miss" engines.

4. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

I found a Lister Petter on craigslist for a song. It was used to spin a small alternator on an arrow board trailer. It doesn't have the long lasting reputation of it's 650rpm big brother, but looks promising. I'd like to set it up as a source for back up power and of course fuel it with waste vegetable oil. It has electric start or it can be spun with a hand crank. There's a few of these on farms and in portable cement mixers. I'll get a pic soon.

5. GetPreparedStuff

GetPreparedStuff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2010
  6. nj_m715

I'll have to check them out. I was reading about them otterpower. I think they are hard to get into the country now because of some eps BS. For now I'm happy with what I have. There's a lot involved in getting a lister set up right. There's a big difference in the quality of how they're build. Most tear them part as soon as they arrive to clean out casting sand. replace junk bearings and do other upgrades. Once they are set they go forever and can be used to get some heat in the house (cogen).

7. 91004

91004 Tannerite goes boom!

Here in Lancaster County PA Listers are common in the Plain (Amish & Mennonite) Community. If you are looking to see how they run come to the Rough & Tumble event. I believe the next one is in September.....

http://www.roughandtumble.org/index.asp

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  8. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

I've used crank start lister petter engines on life boats. They are beasts. Even with very little maintenance, they always seem to work.

9. nj_m715

That must be a big life raft or different motor. This thing I have is only around 5-10hp (I'd have to look it up again) but it is a beast. It takes two poeple to lift it. I need to find or make a crank for it in case the starter quits.

10. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

Yes, they are big life boats. Designed for around 30-40 people. The engines were all Lister Petter STW2 and STW3 hand crank diesel engines. But I think they stopped producing them. They put out 30-40 hp.