Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
www.veggear.blogspot.com
720 Posts
I found a Lister Petter on craigslist for a song. It was used to spin a small alternator on an arrow board trailer. It doesn't have the long lasting reputation of it's 650rpm big brother, but looks promising. I'd like to set it up as a source for back up power and of course fuel it with waste vegetable oil. It has electric start or it can be spun with a hand crank. There's a few of these on farms and in portable cement mixers. I'll get a pic soon.

·
www.veggear.blogspot.com
720 Posts
I'll have to check them out. I was reading about them otterpower. I think they are hard to get into the country now because of some eps BS. For now I'm happy with what I have. There's a lot involved in getting a lister set up right. There's a big difference in the quality of how they're build. Most tear them part as soon as they arrive to clean out casting sand. replace junk bearings and do other upgrades. Once they are set they go forever and can be used to get some heat in the house (cogen).

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've used crank start lister petter engines on life boats. They are beasts. Even with very little maintenance, they always seem to work.

·
www.veggear.blogspot.com
720 Posts
That must be a big life raft or different motor. This thing I have is only around 5-10hp (I'd have to look it up again) but it is a beast. It takes two poeple to lift it. I need to find or make a crank for it in case the starter quits.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yes, they are big life boats. Designed for around 30-40 people. The engines were all Lister Petter STW2 and STW3 hand crank diesel engines. But I think they stopped producing them. They put out 30-40 hp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts