Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've finally found a suburban to best suit my needs as a family weekend warrior/bug out rig. It took a while to find it but it was well worth the search. Its an 89 diesel powered 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban, fully loaded with barn doors in the back. Its got a standard 6 inch and set of 35s on 15 inch wheels. The truck as a whole is in really good shape but I very much doubt its up to par.

Soon as I pick it up tomorrow, its headed straight into the shop for a full tune up. While its getting work done im going to start blue printing the many upgrades needed. Ill start my list now and post it later.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
I will be interested to see what you do with this car. Please post pictures as well! I sure wish I knew how to tear one down and build it back up again!

I have thought that these old 56 Suburbans would make awesome BOV's! I would paint it some kind of dark earth or something and put a nice big rack on top for storing stuff. Some ambulance doors in the back. This would be awesome. Below is a picture of a 56 Suburban in case you dont know:

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
I will be interested to see what you do with this car. Please post pictures as well! I sure wish I knew how to tear one down and build it back up again!

I have thought that these old 56 Suburbans would make awesome BOV's! I would paint it some kind of dark earth or something and put a nice big rack on top for storing stuff. Some ambulance doors in the back. This would be awesome. Below is a picture of a 56 Suburban in case you dont know:

Nice car!:cool:I did'nt remember them having surburbans back then.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
Yes, can't wait to see what Chops does with his Suburban! Should be cool!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only thing I don't like about pre 73 suburbans is the lack of a 4th passenger door. That and if I had a pre 73 burban I would make it a show truck and saturday cruiser....... That is one sweet ride. My old high school football coach/friends dad has a 56 burban with a 4 inch lift and 35s. He uses it to go surfing and cruising around but its more like a show truck. We call it the beach cruiser because he surfs and because he's a prevy babe watching old man.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took a lil longer then expected but the suburban is bought and now sitting at a garage of my father in laws friend. The first thing im gonna do is strip out the interior, rebuild the 6.2l diesel and rewire everything. I need to figure out how to link my photobucket app on my phone.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Cool! can't wait to see how it turns out!

You may want to check in to some scrap yards that carry old military or police vehicles; there are certainly a lot of options for armoring-up an old 'Burb.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Cool, please do get some pics as soon as possible...:)

·
181 Posts
Took a lil longer then expected but the suburban is bought and now sitting at a garage of my father in laws friend. The first thing im gonna do is strip out the interior, rebuild the 6.2l diesel and rewire everything. I need to figure out how to link my photobucket app on my phone.
You can pick up a new rebuilt or very low hour 6.2 GM diesel from Boyce Equip for about 950 bucks last I checked. Cheaper than a rebuild.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What's up everyone...... sorry I haven't been around. With everything going on its a bit tough. I hate to tell y'all that I had to sell the suburban. My father inlaw passed and the family was short on the expenses, so I sold it to help out........ im confident ill find something better down the road. I've seen a few 1 ton suburbans with big lifts, tires and some with a banks turbo kit on a 6.2.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
What's up everyone...... sorry I haven't been around. With everything going on its a bit tough. I hate to tell y'all that I had to sell the suburban. My father inlaw passed and the family was short on the expenses, so I sold it to help out........ im confident ill find something better down the road. I've seen a few 1 ton suburbans with big lifts, tires and some with a banks turbo kit on a 6.2.
Sorry to hear that Chops, I pray God comforts you and your family.

Im sure you will find something to replace the suburban eventually. I was really looking forward to seeing what you would do with it. Keep in touch!

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Bless your heart but maybe it was a blessing in deguise the way gas is going up .Hope you find somethng soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts