Let the hard part begin

Discussion in 'Vehicle & Transportation' started by CH0PSV1LLE, Jun 29, 2011.

1. CH0PSV1LLE

CH0PSV1LLE Member

So I've finally found a suburban to best suit my needs as a family weekend warrior/bug out rig. It took a while to find it but it was well worth the search. Its an 89 diesel powered 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban, fully loaded with barn doors in the back. Its got a standard 6 inch and set of 35s on 15 inch wheels. The truck as a whole is in really good shape but I very much doubt its up to par.

Soon as I pick it up tomorrow, its headed straight into the shop for a full tune up. While its getting work done im going to start blue printing the many upgrades needed. Ill start my list now and post it later.

2. TheAnt

TheAnt Aesops Ant (not Aunt)

I will be interested to see what you do with this car. Please post pictures as well! I sure wish I knew how to tear one down and build it back up again!

I have thought that these old 56 Suburbans would make awesome BOV's! I would paint it some kind of dark earth or something and put a nice big rack on top for storing stuff. Some ambulance doors in the back. This would be awesome. Below is a picture of a 56 Suburban in case you dont know:

[​IMG]

3. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

Nice car!:cool:I did'nt remember them having surburbans back then.

4. TheAnt

Yes, can't wait to see what Chops does with his Suburban! Should be cool!

5. CH0PSV1LLE

CH0PSV1LLE Member

The only thing I don't like about pre 73 suburbans is the lack of a 4th passenger door. That and if I had a pre 73 burban I would make it a show truck and saturday cruiser....... That is one sweet ride. My old high school football coach/friends dad has a 56 burban with a 4 inch lift and 35s. He uses it to go surfing and cruising around but its more like a show truck. We call it the beach cruiser because he surfs and because he's a prevy babe watching old man.

6. CH0PSV1LLE

CH0PSV1LLE Member

Took a lil longer then expected but the suburban is bought and now sitting at a garage of my father in laws friend. The first thing im gonna do is strip out the interior, rebuild the 6.2l diesel and rewire everything. I need to figure out how to link my photobucket app on my phone.

7. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Cool! can't wait to see how it turns out!

You may want to check in to some scrap yards that carry old military or police vehicles; there are certainly a lot of options for armoring-up an old 'Burb.

8. ajsmith

ajsmith Well-Known Member

Cool, please do get some pics as soon as possible...:)

9. Obligated

Obligated Active Member

Checking to see if there is an update on your Suburban?

10. 1969cj-5

1969cj-5 Member

You can pick up a new rebuilt or very low hour 6.2 GM diesel from Boyce Equip for about 950 bucks last I checked. Cheaper than a rebuild.

11. CH0PSV1LLE

CH0PSV1LLE Member

What's up everyone...... sorry I haven't been around. With everything going on its a bit tough. I hate to tell y'all that I had to sell the suburban. My father inlaw passed and the family was short on the expenses, so I sold it to help out........ im confident ill find something better down the road. I've seen a few 1 ton suburbans with big lifts, tires and some with a banks turbo kit on a 6.2.

12. TheAnt

Sorry to hear that Chops, I pray God comforts you and your family.

Im sure you will find something to replace the suburban eventually. I was really looking forward to seeing what you would do with it. Keep in touch!

13. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

Bless your heart but maybe it was a blessing in deguise the way gas is going up .Hope you find somethng soon.

14. VUnder

VUnder Well-Known Member

If you were closer, I could make you a heckuva deal on a 4x4 Suburban.