Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright ... the local garden store has my number ... :p

They had both lemon and lime trees today... so I got one of each for the greenhouse. (I couldn't help it ...:eek:) I did pass on the $80.00 lemon tree from the farmers market but I did not pass on these...

Attachments

·
Supporting Member
3,312 Posts
I'll be interested to hear how you do with these. What planting zone are you in? I've been so tempted to try a patio-type citrus, but was afraid it would need more attention than I would remember to give it, given that I'm in zone 6a.

They sure do look healthy. Can almost smell the lemons and limes now.... :)

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Enjoy.

Have you thought about growing outdoors? Considering that, under the right conditions, they can grow lemons outdoors in Canada, you should be able to do the same. I'm thinking that a south facing espalier set up with the tree attached to heat absorbing rocks or bricks might do the trick.

While on topic, here he is talking about his greenhouse full of citrus fruit.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll be interested to hear how you do with these. What planting zone are you in? I've been so tempted to try a patio-type citrus, but was afraid it would need more attention than I would remember to give it, given that I'm in zone 6a.

They sure do look healthy. Can almost smell the lemons and limes now.... :)
I'm in zone 7ish ... and the leaves do smell. :D But now I must learn what they need in my area. I will repot them this fall.

Now is the time to learn "what they like" ... :D

·
Supporting Member
264 Posts
Good for you. They take only a little work and you will be surprised at how much fruit you will get.

·
232 Posts
We got a mandarin orange and Meyer lemon last fall. We brought them inside over the winter next to a south facing window. We enjoyed oranges around Christmas time and are looking forward to our first lemons. They're outside now and will stay there until next fall. They have been a lot of fun and not too much work so far. I bet you'll be glad you splurged!

·
Supporting Member
264 Posts
My "Satsuma" has fruit on it for the first time this year and I am tickled. Thats a citrus that is not so commonly known buts pretty common down in Louisiana where I was born and my mom's family still lives, and are small and you simply eat the whole thing, like a plum.....so I am looking forward to seeing how they come out. Like anything else its the fun of growing them makes them worthwhile but I do think in a SHTF situation having citrus would be a good thing.

·
BORN PESSIMIST; we are doomed
1,284 Posts
They had both lemon and lime trees today... so I got one of each for the greenhouse. ...
Oh, you lucky thing, you!!! :congrat:

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:woohoo:

My lemon tree is in bloom ... What a surprise, when I went into the greenhouse this morning to find ...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And my lime tree looks like crap (not growing, droopy leaves ... :( )Sooooooooooooo ...

I went ahead and repotted it, It looked a little root bound and I hope the larger pot will help. (Plus I upped the amount of water)

:crossfinger:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Did you know that in a lot of Asian cooking the use finely shredded lemon leaves?
Yes I know there is a variety of ****** lime tree where you use the leaves but you can also use the leaves off plain old lemon trees.

Just a little bit of trivia for you.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just about ready ...

Attachments

·
Banned
2,601 Posts
Very nice, what happened to the Lime tree, the last time you posted it was drooping?

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I repotted and they are loaded... :D

Attachments

·
I sold my soul to the internet
2,121 Posts
Thanks, Andi.
A friend has lost a few citrus trees here in 7b-8a of South Carolina.
Bobbb thanks for the youtube.

The gravel on the ground & southern facing stone wall is been in use for centuries, when growing fruit trees.
Flat flag stone was used at the base of a tree to hold heat & moisture, as well as mulch to hold down weeds.
But I never thought that this trick would work so well in cold Canada.

·
Banned
2,601 Posts
Wow those are beautiful trees, nice job.

·
Supporting Member
264 Posts
Well it's predicted for a freeze here in Sunny SC so my trees will be making the transition to inside the basement, :p and I have fruit on all of them so its going to be baby sitting time until I can pick the fruit. Also going to dig up some of the Bananna trees to make sure I have some to replant in the spring. All indications are that its going to be a rough winter so I am not taking any chances this year.:coffee: Most if the time I just cut them down to ground and cover them with paper and pine straw....don't think I will take the chance this year. :dunno::crossfinger:

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have kept mine in the greenhouse, all year round. As soon as I have a little time I plan to repot the one lemon (which I should have done before) then the one that has fruit when I harvest.

I put both the bananas in 5 gallon pots last month... So I will see how that works out.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
And my lime tree looks like crap (not growing, droopy leaves ... :( )Sooooooooooooo ...

I went ahead and repotted it, It looked a little root bound and I hope the larger pot will help. (Plus I upped the amount of water)

:crossfinger:
Our lemon and orange trees are doing ok so far. We bought them last March. Kept in greenhouse till this spring, back in greenhouse now. I have 19 lemons on the table now. We didn't get enough sun on them so they didn't turn yellow but still taste good. We cut down some trees, so now have plenty of sun and plenty of work to clean up. But it will be worth it for the sun to available to our plants.

We got lots of lemons and oranges, they had tiny little pea size fruit when we bought them. Paid about $40 for each I think, forgot.

I hear they like to dry out a bit between watering's. You may want to wet the leaves in the mornings or check the nutrients. We used an organic citrus fertilizer on ours. Citrus likes Mangenese and magnesium.

·
Supporting Member
264 Posts
I envy you guys that have a hot house, but my unfinished basement does a fair job of keeping things going. Only problem is as the trees get bigger the pots get heavier and they take up more room. However its a small problem compared to the pleasure I get from having them and enjoying the fruit. I am getting my first Satsumas this year and am anxious to see how they taste.
:D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts