Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you bc and the moderators for creating this secure thread.

I admit I felt rather guilty by not sharing this info on the "Med" thread of the forum, but I was concerned that far too many people would buy antibiotics and abuse them. Antibiotics are a tremendous gift and lifesaver, but they can kill if abused.

I would only ask that you use serious discretion if you share this. It's your call -- use your own judgement. On the other hand, the information below is out there for everyone to see if they know what to look for, but I don't want to be the cause of a tragedy due to misuse of a drug.

A friend who lives "downstate" is a serious prepper. He belongs to a tight-knit prepper group that happens to have a doc on board. One of the doc's biggest concerns was how members of the group would fair without antibiotics; therefore, how could they access human-grade antibiotics to stockpile without breaking the law. He expounded on the increased risk of injuries during a SHTF situation, particularly long term crises. Many people will die from infections that could have been prevented or cured in normal times. His second concern was drug degradation beyond the expiration date.

After some research, he concluded that fish antibiotics were the perfect solution. Fish are very delicate, so fish meds must be very pure -- human grade. Furthermore, the dosages are right because you can't very well stick a little pill in the little rascal's mouth, so you have to dose the whole tank. And, it is perfectly legal to buy fish antibiotics (at least it is in US).

The following drugs were recommended: Ampicillin, penicillin, cephalexen and amoxicillin. If you decide to stockpile antibiotics, I'd suggest you research each one thoroughly and print the info out for storage in your SHTF file. Obviously, some are better for certain types of infections than others.

Not a bad idea to get a script from your doc the next time you are there for a bee sting kit (epinephrine) in case of a severe allergic reaction. You are allergic to bee stings, right?;)

Last but not least, the doc warned against storing any of the tetracycline drugs (including doxycycine) beyond the x date. Those drugs become dangerously toxic as they degrade.

He found that the other drugs do not become toxic, but they will gradually lose potency. Interestingly, he found them to still have some therapuetic value at 10 years beyond the x date.

My apologies if I seem to be making a big deal of this and most of you might already know more about this than me, but I thought it important enough to share with trustworthy friends just in case you missed it.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Horseman, your better safe than sorry. I'ld hate to have to live with the stupidity of others on my mind. sail

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
wow, never thought of fish antibiotics :eek: thyank you

but I've been using veterinary meds for years actually... :sssh: :nuts:

did you know that there are health insurance plans for pets? :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
I also keep (more than a few) veterinary meds on hand but other ways are also nice to know. :2thumb:

·
Comic Relief Member
980 Posts
God bless you, Son..... I REALLY appreciate that info! :congrat::congrat:

This is something I have been concerned about for a while, and you answered my questions and have pointed me in the right direction.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Where would you get fish medicine? Is it from a vet or more like something you can get at Tractor Supply-type stores?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Jason. How's your Mom doing after her surgery? Hope she's doing well.

I've never tried pet stores, but ya mght wanna check'em out anyhow. I checked out a number of internet sites and the best one I found was:

Aquarium Fish Medication and Treatments at ThatFishPlace.com

I don't recall where they are located, but they only took a few days in shipping. Check around and lemme know if you find a better supplier. I'll be adding to our stock in another 6 months or so.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
She's doing really well, thanks for asking. Almost back to normal. She goes to cardiac rehab a couple times a week and says she enjoys it. She's slated to go back to work on November 8th and will still have 15 sick days left. (She's a teacher's aide).

Also-thanks for the info.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Our son-in-law is currently using an aquarium antibiotic for a tooth infection.

We sure were glad to have the information, and didn't expect it to come in handy so soon.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Our son-in-law is currently using an aquarium antibiotic for a tooth infection.

We sure were glad to have the information, and didn't expect it to come in handy so soon.
So, GS, how did your son-in-law make out with his tooth infection? After taking those aquarium antibiotics, he didn't get an irrisistable urge to eat earth worms, did he? :D

To all those special folks on this secure site, I need a little advice. It seems more and more people -- on the forum and in "real" life -- are concerned about medical/pharm shortages, specifically, antibiotics when the SHTF.

Should we quietly and privately share this with more people? I read another email the other day from a nurse in a prepper group who was so concerned about this that she predicted massive numbers of deaths in America -- many of them children -- from infections if antibiotics were unavailable for more than 6 months.

On the other hand, antibiotics can kill. My nephew underwent 3 surgeries in the last 9 days for IBS, blockage and complications of C Diff, a common opportunistic bacteria in the gut that almost exclusively becomes symptomatic (and often fatal) following heavy antibiotic therapy.

Bottom line, antibiotics can kill, particularly when used inappropriately.

Whatcha think?

·
I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...
1,799 Posts
So, GS, how did your son-in-law make out with his tooth infection? After taking those aquarium antibiotics, he didn't get an irrisistable urge to eat earth worms, did he? :D

To all those special folks on this secure site, I need a little advice. It seems more and more people -- on the forum and in "real" life -- are concerned about medical/pharm shortages, specifically, antibiotics when the SHTF.

Should we quietly and privately share this with more people? I read another email the other day from a nurse in a prepper group who was so concerned about this that she predicted massive numbers of deaths in America -- many of them children -- from infections if antibiotics were unavailable for more than 6 months.

On the other hand, antibiotics can kill. My nephew underwent 3 surgeries in the last 9 days for IBS, blockage and complications of C Diff, a common opportunistic bacteria in the gut that almost exclusively becomes symptomatic (and often fatal) following heavy antibiotic therapy.

Bottom line, antibiotics can kill, particularly when used inappropriately.

Whatcha think?
This thread is in the open forum. If anyone does a search for 'antibiotics' they can find the same information. I think BunkerBob even posted photo. I will go give the thread "bump" so more folks can see it.

http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f3/alternative-antibiotics-778/

Hope your nephew is doing well!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahh. Thanks, MD. I didn't know about that thread.

Tommy had his 3rd surg yesterday. I guess he's doing as well as a guy can do after being unzipped 3 times in a matter of days and having his innards rolled out on a table and carved on. :eek:

Thanks for asking.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Horseman-hope all continues to go well with your nephew. Sending good thoughts his(and your) way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts