LDS Preparedness Manual

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Drumrunner, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Drumrunner

Drumrunner Drumrunner

2. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Started reading this last night ... might get a chance to finish it tonight :beercheer:

3. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

4. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

My intent here is not to start a theological discussion. Please be assured of that. However, I have a question that I'm going to ask. If the moderators deem that this is too religious or whatever, the thread may be terminated at their discression with no ill feelings from me.

Why on earth are the Mormons so into prepping? I think it's great and I wish other groups were more like that. But really, what started it all with this particular faith?

I ask this with the utmost respect for members of the Mormon Church and hope I don't offend anyone. Thank you for any answers given.

5. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

I appreciate the question and can give you an impromptu answer based on my gut, all doctrine and theology aside.

Latter Day Saints have an interesting and colorful history. An Extermination Order sign by the Governor of Missouri, expulsion from Missouri, expulsion from Illinois, a pioneer migration to Utah, armed occupation by Federal Troops.

As Latter Day Saints we are very proud of our pioneer roots and have always been self-sufficient. We have local Bishop’s Storehouses that can provide for members needs in time of need or disaster (food, clothing, sundries, and finances).

We have always been counseled to be debt free, have savings, learn home production skills, have food storage and seek higher education.

We have wet pack and dry pack canneries and other production facilities and farms (though I THINK the farms are less common now) where we can food for our own needs as well as stocking up the warehouses.

We send relief shipments all over the world and even use the distribution services of other churches and organizations when that method is quicker or more efficient to get the supplies out.

I myself have drawn from the storehouse when unemployment and financial hardship has overcome me.

We also have a system of Home Teachers and Visiting Teachers that visit each family each month and see to the needs of every family member. Whenever I was deployed in the Army, I always knew my family was looked after and was safe.

We also support Amateur Radio and each local Brand, Ward and Stake practice emergency communications regularly. (I am KF7CSI)

Church support and participation in the Boy Scouts of America is substantial.

In short, our prepping is not based on an end of the world wish or scenario, but instead to be self-sufficient, able to provide for our family, focus on what is important in life, care for our neighbors and not be burdened by debt, unplanned emergencies or unnecessary strife.

I am sure there are other answers but that is how I live it.

Our canneries are open to the public and I often invite non-members to come canning with me. Come on out!

6. CVORNurse

CVORNurse Well-Known Member

Wow, survivalnut. I know some basics about LDS, but there are not many in my area. In fact growing up, I only knew of ONE family in my town. I had no idea about the home teachers keeping a check on you, how awesome. I wish we had a cannery in my area, I would love to be able to participate in that. Here in more recent years, I have worked with Clyde, who is a member of your church. When I first got into prepping, I broached the subject with him. While he did not have all of his preps in place, he did have a store of wheat that was still in MO, where he moved from. His youngest son went on his mission year while they were here with us, and I remember thinking it might be a good idea if all religions sent their young people for a year of work for their respective Churches. Probably builds character and self reliance.

Thanks for sharing your point of view with us.

7. Jason

Survivalnut: thank you for taking the time to provide such a thorough answer. That's a really cool philosophy. I like how everyone checks in on each other and nobody goes hungry.

Sounds like you guys are on the ball. :)

8. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

I checked and was surprised that there is not a cannery in your area. When I lived in an area without a cannery, our ward had a spiffy tabletop dry pack canner. You would take a #10 can. fill it with an appropriate low moisture food, add in an oxygen absorber (not in sugar!) or insert a rod and gas it with a small blast of nitrogen, then place the can on the unit and seal a lid on it.

Maybe one is available in your area. Call a local ward in the phone book or ask a couple of those young men in white shirts and ties riding their bikes around town.

We have a few units just sitting in the corner of our cannery since the cannery machines are better They are around.

The only cost is for the cans, lids and absorbers. It's fast and easy.

9. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

Wow. Great manual. A very good read.

10. CVORNurse

CVORNurse Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip. I will do that.

Funny you should mention those young men in white shirts and ties :) That brings back memories of my high school prom. I was taking a college class at night, and one of those nice young men was in my class. I liked his personality enough that I actually asked him out to my junior prom. I cannot now remember his last name, but he was a gentleman, and I still have my corsage. We hung out as friends, with other friends later, and it is at his apartment that I first saw the movie LadyHawk. To this day, I think of Steven whenever I see that movie.

11. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

Aww. So romantic!

12. SnakeDoc

SnakeDoc Well-Known Member

Of late our leaders have been harping on preparedness less it seems. They have warned us for years to get our houses in order, so I guess the unprepped may do a bit of suffering.

Also the notion of prepping just makes sense where I live (12 miles fro Yellowstone National Park). A blizzard, earthquake or wildfire might make travel very difficult. So having the ability to care for my family is an important duty to me.

I find the "be Prepared" mind set to be one of our core experiences ans Americans. I bet our Canuk friends have the same ideas. Our growing addiction to ease has done much to damage our countries but I think prepping is a fight (in a small way) to get that independent mindset back.

13. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Great source of info, the church has always been a good inspiration for me.

14. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I had never thought about a cannery before, I always wanted a parrot.:D:ignore: I really enjoy working with the LDS kids in scouting, they always pitch in and are cheerfull and enthusiastic when it comes to the activities. The are brought up well. I especially enjoyed working with them at Philmont Scout Ranch years ago.

15. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Drumrunner, thanks for the link:2thumb:, great PDF manual, just finished downloading and printing, would recommend that all who prepare get a copy of this. The first pages are mainly for church members, but the rest is a great reference book. I also just bought a book Amazon.com: The Ultimate Food Storage Cookbook (9780967509402): Arlene Mickelsen: Books recommended for those who have long term food storage, it has recipes that uses your freeze-dried or dehydrated, whole grain and items commonly stored, I found that these are usually hard to find recipes.
    Well back to the dig, today breaking into the sewer line for toilet in the shelter, and also connecting 4" steel outside air supply pipe, will share photos later.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  16. bigjohn

bigjohn Member

Jason,
    The Mormons aren't the only chuch that advocates this practice. Most churches have this practice within there by-laws. the reason is not for end time puposes explicitly but because all christans fall under attack at times. Just read your history and the current news paper and you will see what I am talking about.

17. Jason

When I was a kid we went to the local Nazarene church. I was never very into it and haven't gone in years. In all the times I was there as a kid, though, I never remember hearing that type of thing. Maybe the adult services were different than the kids' services. I have no problem with religion and don't intend to start a religious discussion here-just stating what I've seen. But thanks for the input, Bigjohn. I do know that in the Holy Land there is constant tension between Muslims and Christians since they both occupy many of the same places and regard them as equally holy but I've never seen much of that in the US.

18. SnakeDoc

SnakeDoc Well-Known Member

The LDS goal with prepping is not just to take care of self. It increases our capacity for charity as well. For instance, the neighbors house burned down. We were able to aid the family with some food to get them started. That was a family that didn't need government dollars to get back on their feet.

Because we had our food supply we were able to give more than if we were just giving cash at the time.

19. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

The Amish in our area pitch in and help in their community the same way.:2thumb:

20. Lake Windsong

Lake Windsong Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link and information!

Thank you for both the link and information. When I first started prepping, I gathered up every scrap of LDS Relief Society information I could get ahold of about preparedness. : ) It's nice to see a concise answer to Jason's questions above, I had the same question many years ago myself. One of the best books I had was called A Year Supply, written by a couple named Crockett. (Barry?) Anyway, that book was destroyed in a flood, but I still have the knowledge (and had many supplies at a separate location, thanks to that book).