Lard ,Pig Fat ,is not all the same?

Discussion in 'Nutrition' started by readytogo, May 8, 2017.

1. readytogo

readytogo ExCommunicated

Whether with partially hydrogenated lard or hydrogenated lard you still get a load of junk and for a number of years now there was some thought that since partially hydrogenated lard is less saturated; it was less of a health risk. Currently, many healthcare professionals think otherwise. I`m no professional but I used fresh pork fat, I render it from pork belly or any other fresh pork and the difference is amazing in my cooking and baking ,stay away from junk folks.

2. RedBeard

RedBeard Guest

When it comes to a pig there is the main lard (general fat) and there is leaf lard that comes from around the belly. Both can be rendered but the leaf lard is a bit better.

3. terri9630

terri9630 Internet Princess

We render our pigs fat. We also save bacon grease and hamburger grease. I haven't bought fats/oils in a couple of years

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  4. ClemKadiddlehopper

ClemKadiddlehopper somewhat moldy

Grass fed pigs produce high omega 3 over 6 ratios same as in cattle. This is what makes the health difference whether using lard or tallow. Grain fed animals have higher omega 6 ratios and therefore, aren't as good health wise. I'll take either over something in a container from the store.

Leaf lard is located around the kidneys and is a more pure fat and white in colour. It is used for pastries because of its whiteness and lack of "flavouring or pigginess". Suet is leaf lard.

Body fat is best used for savoury cooking and frying where the taste, colour and impurities add to the dish rather than detract from it.

Home grown free range tough as old boots rooster pressure fried in pig lard or beef tallow is whats missing and cannot be replicated in the fake KFC replica recipes; at least for those of us that are old enough to remember KFC from the dinosaur days.