Prepared Society Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
I sold my soul to the internet
2,172 Posts
Noooo...... waste of good fuel.
Solar panels & LED lights go 100,000 times further
True, but nights, cloudy days propane generator works well, and if you have one now, why not use up the stores after the fall, then move on to just solar & lamp oil.

·
Jack of all trades?
8,564 Posts
True, but nights, cloudy days propane generator works well, and if you have one now, why not use up the stores after the fall, then move on to just solar & lamp oil.
ONLY if you have a GOOD staged charge controller (like a Balmar controller unit, or similar) otherwise you are down to like 15%-20% charging your batteries, That is a HUGE waste of valuable energy if TSHTF...

Propane is very valuable to be able to cook indoors so people can't smell your food.

·
I sold my soul to the internet
2,172 Posts
SWEET SMELLING KEROSENE

One way to freshen the scent of burning kerosene lamps is to add a few drops of potpourri essential oil to each lamp full of kero. I have tried vanilla scent and mulberry scent so far, and they completely mask the distinctive kerosene aroma. Only a few drops of the essential oils are needed, and the price per 1/4 fl oz is certainly not excessive considering the limited quantities used.

Sweet smelling kerosene additives for kerosene heaters are usually 1/3cc or 91% alcohol, an ounce or two of Low Odor Mineral Spirits and a few drops of potpourri oil. The cost per treatment is negligible if you make it yourself, plus you have the added advantage of using the potpourri essential oil of your choice.

There are two types of potpourri scents: alcohol based and water based. You want the alcohol based variety.

If you guys out there don't know what potpourri essential oils are, ask a woman...it's a girl thing.

SWEET SMELLING KEROSENE
Off subject: Vanilla in paint will cover the smell of drying paint, also.

Reactions: Meerkat

·
Registered
911 Posts
At BOL we use Aladdin lamps, in one I use lamp oil and kerosene in the other. We also have a kerosene heater which is why I use it. Aladdin lamps give off a lot of light and heat. We don't use them near as much as we used to since we added all our 12v solar lights. Lamps sure are romantical tho. We buy kerosene in the 5 gal. cans at the supermarket. K-1 clear

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've never tried it in a Lamp or Lantern, but my guess is that it would smoke. In a Kerosene Stove, even if the K-1 fuel is contaminated with diesel (#1 or #2), it will not burn clean and will give off an odor. Every once in a while, I will get a bad batch of Kerosene. It most likely gets contaminated when a fuel tanker switches from diesel to K-1. The way I understand it is a tanker (or compartment) used for K-1, should always be used just for K-1. They say just a gallon or two of diesel can contaminate a whole tank. Just for a little extra info, I believe K-1 is the purist form of diesel. I've seen people run it in their diesel trucks, although it is illegal to run without a road tax on it. Some Kerosene has Red Dye in it, but I refuse to burn Red Dye fuel in the house. Luckily enough places sell the "K-1 Clear" around here. My friend's store started selling Red Dye Kerosene and I quit buying it from him. I would use it in an emergency, but not as a routine. Bill
K-1 is, I believe also used as jet fuel?

41 - 46 of 46 Posts