Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Jack of all trades?
8,564 Posts
Go to the nearest airport that sells "JETA" fuel.
NOT AvGas, JET A.

It is kerosene. Ask for the stuff they drain from their filters :) Might have to run it through a coffee filter, but hey....

Summer time hoping my solar powered LEDs will take on the lighting load.
The best alternative, by far - even in winter. I would use wood for heat - and lamp oil ONLY if it's the only source of fuel left.

· Jack of all trades?
8,564 Posts
Sorry didn't mean I was using lamps for heat. Being they put off heat, winter is when I would plan to use them. Too hot in summer to add any heat load as it is. Plus more sun to keep batteries charged up.
Oh, I read it clearly enough... I have numerous candles far the same purpose. A few years ago Wal-Mart had the "Catholic" candles on sale for 68 cents each and I bought a bunch.

I sincerely doubt things will get so bad we come down to having such a small amount of liquid oil that it must be conserved for other purposes other than lamps. The only "liquid-oil-type-product" I have in abundance is used motor oil - and it doesn't work well for oil lamps.

The days of easy-to-find pretroleum are well over. If the oil industry ever collapses, there will never be enough money gathered up to get started again - the technology is too expensive and all the "easy to find" (Penn state in the late 1800's) oil is gone.

· Jack of all trades?
8,564 Posts
I am all for propane & a generator, over the lamp oil or kerosene.
Noooo...... waste of good fuel.
Solar panels & LED lights go 100,000 times further

· Jack of all trades?
8,564 Posts
True, but nights, cloudy days propane generator works well, and if you have one now, why not use up the stores after the fall, then move on to just solar & lamp oil.
ONLY if you have a GOOD staged charge controller (like a Balmar controller unit, or similar) otherwise you are down to like 15%-20% charging your batteries, That is a HUGE waste of valuable energy if TSHTF...

Propane is very valuable to be able to cook indoors so people can't smell your food.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts