Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
88 Posts
$10 a Gallon in WI and $5 a Gallon in LA? I paid $3.85 the other day for K-1 and thought that was outragous. Last year I was paying in the high 2's or low 3's. I remember it being 99 Cents really not that long ago.

As mentioned, Kerosene will last a pretty long time, but recycling it once in a while would be better. I use it for some Heat as well as in Lanterns.

Also some Lamp Oils are scented and they will smell purty.

Bill

· Registered
88 Posts
Diesel isn't nearly as volatile or combustible as gasoline. I wonder if it's possible to safely burn diesel fuel in a lamp?
I've never tried it in a Lamp or Lantern, but my guess is that it would smoke. In a Kerosene Stove, even if the K-1 fuel is contaminated with diesel (#1 or #2), it will not burn clean and will give off an odor. Every once in a while, I will get a bad batch of Kerosene. It most likely gets contaminated when a fuel tanker switches from diesel to K-1. The way I understand it is a tanker (or compartment) used for K-1, should always be used just for K-1. They say just a gallon or two of diesel can contaminate a whole tank.

Just for a little extra info, I believe K-1 is the purist form of diesel. I've seen people run it in their diesel trucks, although it is illegal to run without a road tax on it. Some Kerosene has Red Dye in it, but I refuse to burn Red Dye fuel in the house. Luckily enough places sell the "K-1 Clear" around here. My friend's store started selling Red Dye Kerosene and I quit buying it from him. I would use it in an emergency, but not as a routine.

Bill

· Registered
88 Posts
Lamp oil may be safer because keresine is not what it use to be since they have added chemicles to it .Just like oil, we use to use it on mangy dogs,now it would probably kill the do along with the mange.
I'm not aware of any "chemicals" added to it. What chemicals do you believe are in there?

I always believed it is K-1 crystal clear pure Kerosene.

Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts