Knitting & Crochet

Discussion in 'General Homesteading & Building' started by *Andi, Sep 9, 2010.

1. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I think ...:scratch ... we have more than a few on Prepared Society that either knit or crochet ... Want to share the project you are working on? :congrat:

I have 2 knitting and 1 crochet projects in the works ... Knitting - I'm working on a new hunter orange scarf for my son ... man that kid has grown.:eek: and I keep a dish cloth in the works. (Thay are great for my holiday baskets:D) My crochet project is for a friend that is due to have a baby in Dec.

So what are you working on??? :D

2. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

:gaah:Why did you have to bring this up:eek:?! Now, I have to admit that I have a "few" unfinished projects :)sssh: don't tell my Husband). I crochet and "play" at knitting. I can only do one stitch and I do not know if it is a 'knit' or a 'pearl':rolleyes:.

Right now I have 2 prayer shawls, 1 afghan, 1 lap blanket, 1 poncho, 3 or 4 scarves and countless wash cloths in various stages:cry::eek:.

I kind of let all of it go to work on the garden, daughters wedding, life in general. I keep telling myself it will give me something to do during the winter:flower:.

3. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

If there was a "drooling" smiley it would go here! When I'm finally done with the garden harvest and canning venison, then I can work on my craft projects! Yay!

Along with the unfinished things I was thinking about getting some heavy wool yarn and making a throw rug. I want to crochet it in the fashion of a coiled braided rug. Does that sound like it would work?

I've made braided rugs out of strips of cloth, but I want to try something new.

4. WildMist

WildMist Active Member

I crochet and it's my winter hobby. I love working on different projects and giving myself a deadline which usually isn't enough time lol.

I have a couple of projects on the go from last winter that haven't been finished. I've got one woman's mitten done and have to start the other one. I also have a camoflauge green purse on the go. That one has taken the last 2 winters and I still have it a 1/3 done. Maybe this year.

I still have a blanket for my grandson that isn't even 1/2 finished and I've been working on that for 2 yrs. :( Of course, every year I need to crochet a new pair of mittens for my grandson who is growing like a bad weed. My little angel :rolleyes:

I've stopped trying to make things for NaeKid as he never makes use of the things I make. :mad:

And then there's the projects that I will do this winter for Christmas gifts. My daughter needs a new hat, scarf & mitten set. She's misplaced the last one I made which she loved and wore all the time. I think I'll make myself a set too.

Yeah I'm sure there's lots of us on this site that crochet. I wish I knew how to knit but just could never get the hang of it. :confused:

Well nice to meet all the fellow crocheters and knitters. Now maybe we can ask each other advice and questions on things when we get stuck :beercheer:

5. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Lots of projects in the works. (Sorry ... mdpepper ... and I will not tell your hubby) lol :D

gypsysue, I do not see why a crochet wool throw rug wouldn't work. You just may have to be careful cleaning it. Can't wait to hear how it works out.

Sounds good :2thumb: WildMist! (and tell NaeKid, shame on him.;))

With crocheting I can't read a pattern, if I have something to look at I can (most times) work my way around it. (My cousin taught me ... oh so many years ago, but we didn't use patterns.)

With knitting ... I taught myself (and youtube :D) so patterns are not much of a problem.

Look forward to hearing about your projects.

6. Freyadog

Freyadog Member

Crotcheting ok I can do that. Knitting you have got to be kidding. I get that stuff so messed up I look like Larry,Moe and Curly all wrapped up into one. Maybe even the Keystone Cops thrown in.

My project for the winter is making cloth baskets with strips of cloth, clothesline rope and zipzag on the machine. All family members have quilts that dh and I have made for years and given to them. so need something different this winter.

7. lhalfcent

lhalfcent Supporting Member

gosh i have unfinished projects too. :eek:

but i am working on finishing knitted winter boot socks for the kids and myself. they grow so fast!
    need to make sweaters for everyone too. and after going thru the mittens, hats and scarves.... they are in sorry shape and need to catch up on them also. sigh.
    but i learned a cool thing with socks...i found a book on single needle knitting with a circular needle and you can make a whole pair of socks at once!
    i have to practice more but my first pair turned out awesome.

8. lhalfcent

here is the website that first got me going on this. good tutorial.
    but i found working from a book better.

Silver's Sock Class

9. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Cool!

Thanks for the link.

10. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

New hunter orange scarf for son - DONE!

He told me more than a few times a day that bow season starts Saturday. lol

11. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Hope it brings him luck! :congrat:

12. lhalfcent

anyone try that circular knitting sock pattern?

13. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Not me ... :eek: ... I still have one more project to finish before something new.

14. dunappy

dunappy Well-Known Member

I've got a knit scarf in progress, A crochet chair cushion from the left over scrap yarns in progress, a crochet Shawl in progress (almost finished) and a crochet pair of socks in progress also.
    And several more projects planned as soon as those are done and several finished projects such as pot holders, dish scrubbers, towels etc. I do ALOT of crochet items.

15. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Well-Known Member

I haven't bought a pattern since I found this site ... Lion Brand yarns are easy to find and not too expensive (at least around here). There are a bazillion patterns here ... lots of them easy to do ... and some that help build your skill level.

Lion Brand Yarns Free Patterns

The local Hobby Lobby will put it on sale everyonceinawhile and I will stock up on yarn for sweaters, hats, shawls, socks ... etc.

16. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I finished all my crochet items ... :D Just in time for my hubby to find a few more bags of wool that I had put in the building. :gaah: So I'm going to be spending some extra time working it up. (note to self ... remember where you put that raw wool. ;) lol)

17. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

I've grown a lot better at crocheting but knitting still kicks my rear end. I plan on starting a blanket once I find a pattern I like. I wish I knew how to make my own yarn...and I wish I had my own animals to produce the wool. Lol. Yarn gets expensive!

18. lhalfcent

I wanted to make my own yarn too! but couldn't afford a spinning wheel so i made one out of pvc pipes and an old bike wheel!
    it is like a great wheel but it works! I have spun some wonderful medium weight yarn and have already made several pairs of mittens and hats.
    with my hand spinning i have been making sock yarn.

here is the link to make the pvc wheel...it cost me just under $40 including making my own niddy noddy for making 1 yard skeins. :)

Spinning Wheel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Aemilia

Aemilia Zookeeper

Wow what a beautiful job on the wheel! I'm saving that for when I have more space.

I seem to be the odd one out - I find knitting much easier. This is my only knitting project in my adult life: Knitted Bunny Pattern -- but it turned out well. I have a cute bunny pattern for crocheting I really want to make for my daughter. Maybe I'll have to try again.

20. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Well-Known Member

Maybe this will help ... first you need to focus on keeping your tension even, just like crocheting. Get a couple of balls of your favorite color of bulky yarn (as you can see from my previous post I have a thing for Lion Yarns :p) Cast on 36 stitches or so on size 11 needles. Now just do a garter stitch (knit every row) back. To keep the edges flat be sure and slip the first stitch of every row without knitting it. (Actually I do this with everything I knit regardless of the pattern ... that way the sides don't curl in ... that drives me NUTTY!!) After about a yard or so (longer if you like) you will be a pro at even tension and have a scarf in your favorite color!! :D

If you can knit, you can purl ... if you can purl you can do any pattern out there. Just remember to read it one row at a time. That way you won't get overwhelmed or frustrated. (Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt! :rolleyes:)

(And I am totally with you on the having sheep and making your own yarn!! :wave: