Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Kindle last week. I've spent some time finding and downloading a number of free books. I want to have it filled by the time it hits the fan. The battery lasts a long time. It can be charged by USB so I can use my AA battery USB charger to charge it when the time comes.

When I ride my exercise bike I read the Memoirs of Ulysses S Grant. That's pretty interesting so far. Who else has one? What free books do you recommend?

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
I got one for my birthday last week. I'm just now trying to get it registered so I can look around and see what's available but the FIOS router won't give the kindle access to the network. :dunno:

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't get it to work with my network either but you can register it online and download books using the USB cable.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
I didn't notice it was your birthday last week, Joe. Happy belated!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
You can also conver many files to PDF and load them. I downloaded free fiction stories from several websites, converted them to PDF and I read them on my comute to work on the train.

·
Zookeeper
145 Posts
I have a Sony eReader. (No plans to charge it if the SHTF, so I have reference books as hard copies. Actually, I love the ereader for books you sit down and read. It's not very good for flipping back and forth, especially the free books which have an inconsistent table of contents at best.)

Google Books - my favorite - remember to use older terms, ie. husbandry. I tell it to only look for fully available books - no previews
Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine - search in American/Canadian libraries I think

Find a PDF print driver if you are running Windows - then you can choose to print a PDF file instead of a hard copy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts